[pics]REVIEW: Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 vs. Denon AH-D5000[/pics]
May 12, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it really depends on your ears/headsize. I have the AD2000s and the HD650s, and I find the ATHs much more comfortable. To me, they are almost as comfortable as the Beyer DT880s, which is saying alot.

I have the AH-D2000, HD650, and the Beyer DT880s. I must agree that for comfort, the Denons and the Beyers are in their own league. I really like the rotating earcups on the Denons.

May 12, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #47 of 61
Oh, and I forgot to mention, my love of the AD2000 does not seem to be caused by the "new toy" syndrome. At least not yet. They have never been boring at all. It seems to be genuine.

May 12, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #48 of 61
So, I suppose your trading (selling) the D5000s for the AD2000s concludes your review and comparison fairly convincingly...
wink.gif

Perhaps writing the conclusion would be of value to the interested, like myself
wink.gif

TIA

May 13, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps writing the conclusion would be of value to the interested, like myself
wink.gif

TIA

I think that would be valuable, not least to me as I am trying to decide between AD2000 and D2000.

May 13, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #51 of 61
Will the AD2000 be a good 2nd (or even 1st) headphone to be partnered with the k701? I'm looking for something with slightly more bass slam and extension compared to the k701 for rock music, with good detail and speed.

May 13, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by chad.is.rc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know we are discussing the ATH-2000 and the AH-D5000, but has anyone also compared the ATH-W5000? I am wondering since the W5000 seems more like the D5000 in design. I have read Skylab's report on the D5000, and it got me really interested in these cans. I would however like to get some more information about the W5000 before making a decision.

The only thing they have in common is wooden enclosures. Other than that they are very different.

I come from the world of high end car audio where there is true low end extension that can go from mild to wild at the flick of a switch. I really think the bass peak on the D5000s is in the 80-110hz region which I would consider midbass. Probably the reason it overpowers the lower midrange a bit. I think it's a function of ear pad design. Other than that the D5000 sound pretty neutral. I think they sound best on solid state or a neutral tube amp.

The W5000 on the other hand emphasis the upper midrange. They also have greater upper end extension. They make every other can I have sound "veiled". But it can be a bit much on some amps. They sound best on a warm tube amp that adds a bit of bass. Definitely not a can for bass heads. But with the right amp I would take them any day over the D5000.

May 13, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the AD2000 be a good 2nd (or even 1st) headphone to be partnered with the k701? I'm looking for something with slightly more bass slam and extension compared to the k701 for rock music, with good detail and speed.

I too am a K701 fan and I just got my ATH-AD2000s yesterday. I'm trying not to listen to them too much as they burn in, but you know how that goes. I now understand what "forward" sound means. Vocalists are standing toe-to-toe with me and singing into my face and I don't have a knob to turn that down.
tongue.gif
I hear how Grados are the most forward cans you can get, but if they are more forward than the AD2000s I hope your underwear is clean because the vocalist is going to be sharing it with you. Hmm, maybe I need to buy some Grados and put my Evanescence CDs on repeat.
very_evil_smiley.gif

As for how they compare to the 701s, the bass is slightly more and better, the highs are slightly more and better, and the mids which are the 701s strong point, well, I'm not sure I like them but I'll give them a week to settle in before I decide for sure. However, the 701s are a LOT more comfortable to wear. Unless I can pad the AD2000 earcups without damaging the sound, that may be the biggest issue.

May 13, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear how Grados are the most forward cans you can get, but if they are more forward than the AD2000s I hope your underwear is clean because the vocalist is going to be sharing it with you.

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for how they compare to the 701s, the bass is slightly more and better, the highs are slightly more and better, and the mids which are the 701s strong point, well, I'm not sure I like them but I'll give them a week to settle in before I decide for sure. However, the 701s are a LOT more comfortable to wear. Unless I can pad the AD2000 earcups without damaging the sound, that may be the biggest issue.

Thanks for your impressions. I like the detail and midrange of the k701s but I want something with more zip. I'm very pleased with how they sound with well recorded jazz. Keep us posted on your final impressions.

May 13, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #55 of 61
Now I sound like I am raving, and thats because I am. But I am listening to the album Tool - Lateralus now, and WOW!! I can't believe my ears!!!!!

This is nuts!! They even sound amazing in the morning!!!! Usually, all the headphones I used to have sounded so so in the morning and much better at night. Even with the K1000s.

But, this....

I will post my final impressions after more listening and if I ever manage to get them off my head.

May 13, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the AD2000 has too much clamping force. Its headbands are extremely stiff and can't be bent, unlike the W5000's adjustable headbands. I would prefer a bit less clamping force.

I dunno about that. The AD2000s I bought secondhand were already stretched out. I think it was the metal bracing holding the headphone together that was stretched; as a result, the clamping force on my pair is very light. To give you an idea, most pairs I've seen when laid on a table, will have the two cups touching. The earcups on my pair when laid on a table are about 4 inches apart.

May 13, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing they have in common is wooden enclosures. Other than that they are very different.

I come from the world of high end car audio where there is true low end extension that can go from mild to wild at the flick of a switch. I really think the bass peak on the D5000s is in the 80-110hz region which I would consider midbass. Probably the reason it overpowers the lower midrange a bit. I think it's a function of ear pad design. Other than that the D5000 sound pretty neutral. I think they sound best on solid state or a neutral tube amp.

The W5000 on the other hand emphasis the upper midrange. They also have greater upper end extension. They make every other can I have sound "veiled". But it can be a bit much on some amps. They sound best on a warm tube amp that adds a bit of bass. Definitely not a can for bass heads. But with the right amp I would take them any day over the D5000.

Thanks for the feedback naamanf, I really appreciate that. I am really looking for a can that can more or less do it all. In other words plays most some types of music really well, and others good. My musical tastes are kind of all over the place. Based on what you said the W5000 sounds a bit more what I am looking for. My quest continues...

May 13, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #58 of 61
the AD2000 sound like very very nice cans. its a shame they are better because my work is a denon dealer
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the AD2000 sound like very very nice cans. its a shame they are better because my work is a denon dealer
smily_headphones1.gif

Here we go again with, "Better" which is the case better for the OP with "TOOL" mentioned on two occasions now with the amp and source the person, 003 is using....

Unfortunately, folks sometimes gloss over these relevant facts leading to the reviewers conclusions as in this case, which we still do not know very many details as to why....

lol, oh hell, its better...Nuff said...lol

Edit: Question 003... Is this amazing preasentation with the Cayin HA-1A and which source please, just for SOME frame of referance please......
wink.gif

May 14, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #60 of 61
It sounds all right with the HA1A, but sounded better with the MPX3 SLAM. The HA1A sounds a bit more fuzzy, warm and slightly less energetic compared to the MPX3.

The setup I am using, is the same as in my signature. For more detail on the equipment in my signature, see my profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back