[pics]REVIEW: Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 vs. Denon AH-D5000[/pics]
May 9, 2007 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Headphoneus Supremus
I have received the AD2000s today courtesy of Asr's loaner program. Thumbs up, Asr. Once my 10 days are up, I will post a review of the AD2000 alone in Asr's official loaner thread. This is separate.

Based on my initial comparison, this is going to be a heated review! I could tell you the sound characteristics of each headphone, which I will later, but I can not decide which one I like better! I will say though, the D5000 is more comfortable and looks better with it's wood.

More to come after more listening, plus pics as well!!

May 9, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 61
^Awwww...What a perfect tease , but you certainly know how to build anticipation
wink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 61
This may be the straw that broke the camel's back. I just might lose my will power to not buy the Denon after this review.
frown.gif

Head-fi is so bad for your wallet... and the worst thing is it's hard to stay away!
tongue.gif

May 10, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may be the straw that broke the camel's back. I just might lose my will power to not buy the Denon after this review.
frown.gif

I would not necessarily count on that.
wink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not necessarily count on that.
wink.gif

A murmur of gasps falls over the amassed.....

Come on...Out with it........Waz up??????

smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 61
I'll be looking forward to your impressions. I need to do this comparison myself and report back. People seem to be quie interested in how these two cans stack up against each other. Like you, I think they're both excellent but haven't really had a chance to listen to the D5000 much at this point.

May 10, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously...don't keep us in suspense!

lol...Seriously, between my not being able to get my hands on a pair of AH-Dxxxx and this prolonged suspense, I'm dying over here at least to be entertained by reading about them; That would be some consolation
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 61
Hi 003

Always a pleasure to run into you every now and again.
3000smile.gif

Do you know if those are the same AD2000s Asr brought to the NY meet?

As Hi so eloquently put it, "Come on...Out with it........Waz up??????"

USG

May 10, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 61
Lol... I can see you guys now. Sitting here at this page pressing the refresh button every 10 seconds :p

Ok, I have not done to much comparison obviously, because I just got the AD2000s today. But I will say, I like them, a lot. I will say a bit now but it will not be complete.

Soundstage:
Still comparing...

Imaging/separation:
Ditto...

Bass:
Interesting. With the D5000, everything rides on the bass. EVERYTHING has weight. You may or may not like this. It's not one note booming bass (if this is what you are looking for, the D5000 will not satisfy) found on many other consumer and even some "high end" headphones. Its not impact that you get from car woofers, it is a very different kind of bass. It is like the bass you feel in your chest, only you feel it in your ears instead, if you know what I mean. Very hard to explain. It extends down very low, and it has average speed. Faster than a Sennheiser, for example.

With the AD2000, things are very different in the bass department. The extension is relatively similar, however the speed, impact and weight is where the difference lies. First, speed. It is faster. Noticeably so. Impact. It's defiantly lighter, but still there. Because of the fast speed, you could say it's like being punched lighter but faster, or harder but slower. As for the weight. With the AD2000, the music does not ride on the bass. The weight is about neutral for the bass. With the AD2000, the music DOES ride on one of the other two frequency spectrums, which we will get to next
wink.gif

Midrange:
Ahh, my favorite. The midrange. A very curious section for the D5000. On first listen, I thought the midrange was horridly recessed. And my views on that have not completely changed. I have tried many different tubes in my MPX3, and quite frankly, the ones I was originally using sounded the best. None of them made any significant difference to the presentation of the midrange. After more critical listening, I came to this conclusion. The mid-mids and upper-mids are quite neutral. The lower mids are recessed. I can not get around that. I have sort of gotten "used" to it, but upon listening to the AD2000, it became painfully apparent again. Everything else about the D5000 sounds great -- this is like a little thorn in it's side. If you listen to music that does not have any "deep" vocals, you probably wouldn't even notice this flaw. But if you do, they can sound like they are "buried" under the other frequencies. Also, the D5000 has a rather dry, thin and starved midrange in general. I had previously mentioned I could not quite put my finger on something about the sound, but that there was something giving it a papery/plasticy/thin sound. It is the midrange. It is a combination of a lack of energy, and some kind of odd coloration in the upper-mids. Again, I did get "used" to these problems, and then the D5000 sounded surreal, but upon first listen to the AD2000, these flaws were immediately dug up from the grave. In the case of the AD2000 mids, I do not need to force myself to listen to it so I get "used" to them after a while. They sound fantastic from the get go.

Speaking of the AD2000 mids, lets talk about them. I love them. Need I say more? Wholeheartedly, NO. But I will anyway. The AD2000 "rides" on the midrange, where as the D5000 rides on the bass. The upper, mid and lower midrange are all fantastic. Energetic. Electric guitars have a nice, up front sizzle. Not as much emphasis as a grado, but more than average. I like it. Also, because of the better mids on the AD2000, I am not as inclined to crank the volume on them as I am with the D5000. They are airy, let chesty and full. I must say, long ago, I was put off to Audio-Technice based on the nastily back seated mids on the A900, and all of their headphones looked very similar, which grew into a bias that AT had poor mids. Boy, was I wrong.
icon10.gif

Highs:
This is an area that I do not have much experience with, meaning, I am not the best at picking out "good" highs from "bad" highs. The AD2000 seems to have an edge on the D5000 here, in terms of sparkle and extension, though. Not bright at all. Not rolled off. Not recessed. Just right. They are not rolled off on the D5000, but they are ever so slightly back seated, giving the bass and midrange more of a sense of control.

Detail:
So far, my ears are telling me the AD2000 is the clear winner in this department.

upstateguy:
You as well
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not sure if these are the ones Asr brought to the meet, but I would think not because he said they were purchased new just for this loaner program.

May 10, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #14 of 61
Nice~

Thanks~

Now I can go to sleep and dream~

smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 61
Very nice review 003....

When you say the D5000s ride on the bass, do you mean like the 650s do, or are you referring to something else?

Are you able to compare the ADs to some of the other well known cans like the K701, DT880s and HD650s?

Thanks

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back