[pics]REVIEW: Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 vs. Denon AH-D5000[/pics]
May 11, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #31 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really haven't noticed it on my pair, either. I think it might depend on what can you're coming from, though.

I certainly didn't experience that with D2000, Skylab mentioned that D5000 sound a bit brighter, wonder if that makes mids slightly recessed in comparison. But different background and reference point make perfect sense too.

May 11, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
003 and Elephas, it has been said that the Denons are very comfortable.... how are the ATs? Someone said the AT drivers rest against your ears and hurt after a while? Any truth to that?

USG

The padding on the ear pads of the AD2000 are thinner and consequently, the drivers are much nearer your ears.

Depending on the shape and orientation of your years, comfort might be an issue.

Sorry Mickey
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more I listen to the D5000, the more I feel the lower midrange is not recessed, but overpowered by the bass.

Well yes, that makes perfectly good sense and inline with Skys findings, I think.

Tough to dissect and then articulate, no doubt there....

Enjoy the process, as much as I'm enjoying the reading~

smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elephas, as you own both, how do you compare AD2000 and W5000?

I've posted about the AD2000 and W5000 elsewhere. PM if you have any specific questions.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
003 and Elephas, it has been said that the Denons are very comfortable.... how are the ATs? Someone said the AT drivers rest against your ears and hurt after a while? Any truth to that?

Uh, I think I said that.

I've had to insert foam strips inside the AD2000 earpads to keep the driver covers from touching my ears. I think the AD2000 sounds better with the drivers closer to the ears, so I had to find the right thickness of foam to keep the drivers as close as possible without touching. There should be a couple threads with photos floating around.

With the foam strips, the AD2000 earpads are very comfortable. The material is smooth and stays cool.

I think the AD2000 has too much clamping force. Its headbands are extremely stiff and can't be bent, unlike the W5000's adjustable headbands. I would prefer a bit less clamping force.

May 11, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #37 of 61
Folks,

I’ve just bought the D5000 and the DT990/250. Next month, I’ll also have the JVC HP-DX1000 (on order). I’ve had very little time for the new toys (gotta pay those huge bills!
tongue.gif
), and I hope that sometime next month I’ll be able to give something back to the forum, hopefully a decent review of the new cans, including the K701, which is the one I’m much more used to. In any case, thought I’d drop a quick line to those who are looking at the D5000. (Realistically, I may not be able to do much more than this anyway.)

The D5000 are absolutely fantastic by my standards. Some time ago, I wrote somewhere in these pages that I thought it hard to imagine that the headphone experience could get much better than my max’ed out HR Desktop/K701 combo. It was really hard to convince myself that it even made sense investing in new phones. I was that satisfied with what I had. Eventually, the glowing reviews of the D5000, especially Skylab’s posts, pushed me over the brink. Well, thank you Skylab and all who vouched for the D5000! Guys, you were so right!...

Much has been written about the bass of the D5000. Now, I’m a "moderate basshead" – if the term makes sense at all. I mean, I don’t want artificial, bloated, larger-than-life bass engulfing the midrange and blurring everything at the bottom of the spectrum. The reason I’m calling myself a "basshead" is just because I want all the bass that is there, all the bass I’d get from a properly calibrated subwoofer, or a first-rate full-range speaker – no more, no less. (My current non-HP rig is a Stereophile-class-B Monitor Audio Silver RS6/Krell 400/HR Max DAC combo, if that helps.) And I’ve found exactly that in the D5000. Right now, it sounds head and shoulders above my previous reference, the K701. And, to my mind, that’s no mean feat! (Yes, I am one of those who think that the K701 is the hands-down best audio bargain available right now. But, wait! The DT990 does seem to be a worthy contender, and I look forward to having the time to compare them extensively.) But not just the bass: I’m getting everything I like in great audio from the D5000 (which is just barely broken in at this point). The soundstage is top-notch; there’s all the detail I was getting from the K701 and more! But not the fatiguing kind of detail. (Sorry 003: at this point, I can’t relate to your midrange complaints, but I’ll keep listening.)

Sorry this is all I can do for now. Will try to get back to you sometime next month, when the extravagant, drop-dead gorgeous DX1000 will hopefully be here. Has anybody said that Head-Fi is evil?
icon10.gif

Cheers,

May 11, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #38 of 61
I like the AD2000 better.

The Denons are nice, but they are not getting much time on my head with the AD2000s around.

I don't have to try and/or pretend to like them. They just sound right.

Listening to the album System of a Down - Mesmerize on vinyl, wow...

The AD2000s remind me of the K1000. The D5000s remind me of a potentially more refined and controlled HD650.

May 11, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #39 of 61
Sorry if my impressions are misplaced here. I have no experience with the AD2000, and this thread is primarily intended as a comparison between those two phones. So, I certainly didn't mean to offer an opposing view to 003's. It just seemed a convenient place to drop a line to those who are looking at the D5000, but maybe it wasn't.

What kept me from considering the AD2000 are the claims that they are not very comfortable, that the padding in the earcups is second-rate. But I have no first-hand knowledge of that. I did, however, see that claim made by at least three people. (I must confess that I just read the first 15 or so posts in this thread before posting. So, maybe the matter has already been addressed here.)

May 11, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #41 of 61
I think it really depends on your ears/headsize. I have the AD2000s and the HD650s, and I find the ATHs much more comfortable. To me, they are almost as comfortable as the Beyer DT880s, which is saying alot.

May 11, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #42 of 61
I notice that the mids are recessed on my D5000 (or the bass is overpowering the mids - hard to tell). But this is only apparent in some songs. To tell the truth, in the majority of music I listen to, the recessed mids is not apparent or even noticeable. However, there are some songs (Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen) where you definitely notice the recessed mids. The bass vocals overpower the main vocal lines IMO. Easily noticeable.

May 12, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly didn't experience that with D2000, Skylab mentioned that D5000 sound a bit brighter, wonder if that makes mids slightly recessed in comparison. But different background and reference point make perfect sense too.

I don't think of the mids on the Denons (2000 or 5000) being at all recessed, but I have a different view of bass than many people here. To me, the Denon has just enough bass to make it seem like music is real. I have never heard the AT AD2000, but the ATHW1000 had nowhere near enough bass for me - I hated it.

Regardless, I really don't think the Denon has recessed mids, but that for people who find the bass to be too much, it may give that impression, as 003 deduced.

May 12, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #44 of 61
I know we are discussing the ATH-2000 and the AH-D5000, but has anyone also compared the ATH-W5000? I am wondering since the W5000 seems more like the D5000 in design. I have read Skylab's report on the D5000, and it got me really interested in these cans. I would however like to get some more information about the W5000 before making a decision.

May 12, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #45 of 61
Listening to Tool - Right In Two, and getting some major eargasms here. Seriously. These AD2000s rock so hard it's not funny. Whoever said metal/rock was their weakest point, I'd love to hear what their strongest point is, then. Because so far this is topping everything but the K1000 (even the K1000 in some areas, actually) for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back