[pics]REVIEW: Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 vs. Denon AH-D5000[/pics]
May 10, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you able to compare the ADs to some of the other well known cans like the K701, DT880s and HD650s?

If somebody could send me them and I received them before the 11th
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure other people in the loaner program will have all of those cans to compare them to.

When I say rides the bass, I do not mean ala-HD650. There is no veil. From everything I've read, it makes me want to say ala-L3000, but of course I have not heard an L3000, but that is about to change
evil_smiley.gif

ANNNNYWAY, the bass is not bloated and booming like the HD650. It somehow properly weaves itself into everything, and drums SOUND like drums, deep and all. It's almost impossible for me to explain.

Also, keep in mind the review is largely based on initial impressions, so anything and everything is liable to change at the drop of a dime.

May 10, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #18 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew the AD2000 could hold its own and more versus the upstart Denon D5000!

Two years old and still running strong... soon to become balanced.
smily_headphones1.gif

Elephas, as you own both, how do you compare AD2000 and W5000?

May 10, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #19 of 61
Hopefully 003, you can entertain us still in waiting, with an update of your shootout revealing more about the Denons and their presentation vs the detailed and neutal AD2000s...
smily_headphones1.gif

Come on...Out with it...Waz up
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #20 of 61
003 and Elephas, it has been said that the Denons are very comfortable.... how are the ATs? Someone said the AT drivers rest against your ears and hurt after a while? Any truth to that?

USG

May 11, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #21 of 61
I can't decide which one I like better.

I wear the D5000s and say "oh, these are better for sure", then I try on the AD2000s and say "no no, these are actually better". They are both very different animals.

The D5000s just do drums and anything involving bass soooooo much better, they sound real. But then... with the AD2000, vocals just sound so.. organic ... and there are some passages in the music that LITERALLY sound like the D5000 is overloaded and congested, like there is to much sound being pumped into the earcups then they can handle. The AD2000 handles those passages without breaking a sweat.

The ATs are not as comfortable as the denons. Period. They are not uncomfortable, but the D5000s are just so much more comfortable. You won't forget the ATs are on your head. The denons, you will. But the denons can get hotter than the ATs if worn for a while.

May 11, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #22 of 61
Hmmmm... Yeah 003, I thought about the leather pads of the Dxxxx possibly being warmer but that should only be a negative consideration to me for 2 months here... But thanks for bringing it up for sure...

So, have you been able to give any more consideration as to the soundstaging & imaging with the two?

/Reminds me of Get Smart: "99, Let's go"...lol

May 11, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #23 of 61
Soundstage and imaging is very close, I need to do more listening.

But, I would say the D5000 seems to have a slightly wider soundstage, due to the more laid back (NOT ala-sennheiser) nature. The AD2000 sounds a bit more in your face, but still has a good soundstage. Imaging seems to be roughly on par, but as I said, I need more listening time.

May 11, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 61
My gosh 003!!! That IS a significant revelation, to my expectations for a closed can, I would have assumed the AT would have been no contest in this regard.... Thanx
wink.gif

/mumble mumbles, where's my Denons/

May 11, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #25 of 61
I'm not sure if the D5000s actually have a larger soundstage, or if the recessed midrange just makes it seem that way.

May 11, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #26 of 61
anyone else besides 003 notices the recessed lower midrange? I don't notice any such thing on my D2000s. very confused here. we'll see, i'll get my grubby fingers on those AD2000s eventually.

May 11, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone else besides 003 notices the recessed lower midrange? I don't notice any such thing on my D2000s. very confused here. we'll see, i'll get my grubby fingers on those AD2000s eventually.

Hi cotdt

Is is possible the D5000s have it and the D2000s don't?

USG

May 11, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #30 of 61
Well it could be a combination of issues, as to why the lower midrange is being as 003 hears it... Which was true before the side by side compro to the ATs was introduced...

Upstate makes a good point, that very well could be the answer, the two phones present in their lower mids differently due to differences with the cable and wood body as well as other subtle degrees in the treble and bass as Sky confirmed initially...

Again, as well as the Singlepowers influance, of course...

Good stuff~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back