Pico - USB DAC/Amplifier From HeadAmp
Jan 11, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #572 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question:

I don't get any change in volume until I reach about 9ish. Anyone else experience this or this unit has a deffective volume pot?

It would not bother me otherwise, but at this point (9ish), it can already be on the louder side for some sensitive iems with higher level recordings.

I can barely hear anything until pot reaches 9 o'clock, guess it's just not linear in that area.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #573 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can barely hear anything until pot reaches 9 o'clock, guess it's just not linear in that area.

Mine is perfectly linear with PK1 and D5000 right from turn on. In fact there is a tiny, minuscule, very hard to hear amount of sound at the minimum setting. Gets louder steadily all the way up.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #575 of 711
stevenkelby,

May I ask your opinion on the Pico and PK1 combination? It is what I'm envisioning with my work setup (MacBook Pro > Pico > PK1).

Part of me keeps thinking that the Pico's going to be overkill for the PK1. But I don't think my Go-Vibe V5 is doing them justice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is perfectly linear with PK1 and D5000 right from turn on. In fact there is a tiny, minuscule, very hard to hear amount of sound at the minimum setting. Gets louder steadily all the way up.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #576 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant hear anything until the pot reaches 9 o'clock either, its not the pot though, its just the combo of the Pico and my 701s

Nothing at all? Does it come on suddenly or smoothly from 9 o'clock? Is that using the internal DAC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stevenkelby,

May I ask your opinion on the Pico and PK1 combination? It is what I'm envisioning with my work setup (MacBook Pro > Pico > PK1).

Part of me keeps thinking that the Pico's going to be overkill for the PK1. But I don't think my Go-Vibe V5 is doing them justice.

Sure, I love it as much as I can love buds, it keeps me happy all day at work but I look forward to the big cans when I get home.

The Pico gives the PK1 a presence and soundstage that you won't get unamped, and it beats the Xin SuperMicro (was mine, sold to a work mate) I compared it with today out of my imod.

I've never heard a go-vibe and haven't read all that much about them but I'm confident that the Pico will be an improvement. How much improvement, do you hear it clearly and is it worth it, is up to you to find out I guess.

The Supermicro does do very well with them though and the difference is not huge. If PK1 is your only headphones maybe it is overkill, but will PK1 be your only cans for ever? Of course not, you're on head-fi! Also, if you don't have a top end source, but you do have a PC, get the DAC option. Heck, get the DAC anyway. I find it slightly better than an imod. If I didn't know which I was listening to though, I almost certainly couldn't guess correctly every time.

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #578 of 711
In my unit it has nothing to do with either source used (amp/dac) or headphones/iem used.
While you turn the knob from start you hear a very low level of music that remains constant until reaching 9ish, then it goes up.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #579 of 711
Just playing with mine now (PICO that is) and mine has a dead patch at the start too, it starts getting louder at about 8AM.

I never noticed an issue before, just assumed mine didn't have the same thing you guys are on about. Now tat I notice, I still don't think it's any issue.

I say it's fine, supposed to be like that. It needs a little space to get past the switch and start volume controlling.

CD44hi, a few posts back you say that at 9'oclock it already is loud for IEMs, is there a sudden jump? I guess it's a pretty sensitive area but mine can still be ramped up very smoothly if I turn the knob very slowly. This is at a very low volume, I am using hi-impedance PK1 though.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #580 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just playing with mine now (PICO that is) and mine has a dead patch at the start too, it starts getting louder at about 8AM.

I never noticed an issue before, just assumed mine didn't have the same thing you guys are on about. Now tat I notice, I still don't think it's any issue.

I say it's fine, supposed to be like that. It needs a little space to get past the switch and start volume controlling.

CD44hi, a few posts back you say that at 9'oclock it already is loud for IEMs, is there a sudden jump? I guess it's a pretty sensitive area but mine can still be ramped up very smoothly if I turn the knob very slowly. This is at a very low volume, I am using hi-impedance PK1 though.

This is using the 13ohm-UE10pro. In some recordings, using an ipod LOD, they are on the loud side already at the 9ish position. So this is probably a combination of the low impedance iem, recordings with higher sonic levels and the dead vol area. For other headphones with higher impedances, this is not an important/noticeable issue at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #582 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my unit it has nothing to do with either source used (amp/dac) or headphones/iem used.
While you turn the knob from start you hear a very low level of music that remains constant until reaching 9ish, then it goes up.

I just checked mine, it seems to be the same as you describe, a constant low level volume until about 9ish then it goes up.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #583 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just checked mine, it seems to be the same as you describe, a constant low level volume until about 9ish then it goes up.

Thanks for the feedback. For low impedance iems or headphones it may be an issue on louder recordings, as it is in my case with the ue10 that at a mere 13 ohms. I haven't experienced any (too high) volume issues with higher impedance cans as the 9ish start seems ok for those. BTW, is there any other iems as low as the ue10s? That is a low impedance...

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #584 of 711
Sorry if this has been covered but my Pico just showed up via mailman carelessly shoving it into my mailbox (no signature required i guess?). Anyway is there anything wrong with switching the gain while it's playing some tunes or should I turn it off before I make the switch. I know there is no real reason to be doing this regularly but I was just curious if anyone knew of any ill effects it would cause?

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #585 of 711
The only ill effect would be your ears if you switch to high and the volume is already up pretty good otherwise the unit should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back