Pico - USB DAC/Amplifier From HeadAmp
Dec 28, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #391 of 711
Hot Damn!!!!! This thing is smokin hot!

Just got mine in the mail and have been listening for all of 20 minutes going back and forth between this and the Hornet as a stand alone amp (I will try the DAC when I get home). All I can say is Justin has really outdone himself and this is a huge accomplishment in the world of headphone hifi and portable hifi.

I really want some time to dedicate to it before I give any conclusive impressions but initially I would say the amp section has combined things that I love about the Hornet and Lisa together. The bass is strong but super tight like the Lisa. Background details are brought forward as the Lisa does but obviously to a lesser degree, let's face it the Lisa is awesome in this regard. The vocals are similar to how the sound with the Hornet but seem to be more liquid... still transparent but a smoother transparency.

I want to spend more time with it to give more impressions but I am super happy with what I am hearing straight out of the box and the amp looks beautiful. I should also note that the Hornet and Lisa are two of my absolute favorite amps in the sub $600 range.

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #392 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hot Damn!!!!! This this is smokin hot!

Just got mine in the mail and have been listening for all of 20 minutes going back and forth between this and the Hornet as a stand alone amp (I will try the DAC when I get home). All I can say is Justin has really outdone himself and this is a huge accomplishment in the world of headphone hifi and portable hifi.

I really want some time to dedicate to it before I give any conclusive impressions but initially I would say the amp section has combined things that I love about the Hornet and Lisa together. The bass is strong but super tight like the Lisa. Background details are brought forward as the Lisa does but obviously to a lesser degree, let's face it the Lisa is awesome in this regard. The vocals are similar to how the sound with the Hornet but seem to be more liquid... still transparent but a a smoother transparency.

I want to spend more time with it to give more impressions but I am super happy with what I am hearing straight out of the box and the amp looks beautiful. I should also note that the Hornet and Lisa are two of my absolute favorite amps in the sub $600 range.

congrats! just wait til you hear the dac section!

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #393 of 711
I agree, the DAC section is wonderful
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #394 of 711
Seeing as how this is the unofficial official Pico thread I'll post pics here as well.

Here it is with my Fujitsu P1610 Tiny Tablet PC.

2133751981_f44afefae3_o.jpg

2134530162_3428a5d052_o.jpg

2134530202_7b740221a4_o.jpg

2134530248_74a6d8a858_o.jpg

Matches all my gear which are usually a combo of black and silver. Although I'm thinking it would look better in a single color.

-Ed

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #395 of 711
Does anyone know what is the smallest laptop this type of computer that has a USB output? I would like to get something really small that would have USB but be very transportable. A 6 inch screen would be fine with me. It would be great with the Pico and in my field photography.

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #397 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try asus eeepc. 7'' screen with usb out...

I saw that and it is interesting but no real storage and it weighs 2.2 pounds or a kilo. Maybe a 2.5 external hard drive for storage but I wonder if there isn't something smaller with real storage.

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #399 of 711
How much storage are you looking for? With the Asus, you can start with 8gb internal SSD version($500) and add an 8-16gb SDHC card as well as 1.8 external drive or usb flash drive. I look at it more as an external hub than a full fledged laptop but for the price it's pretty fantastic. Well, *ahem* anyway, at least I'm hoping it's fantastic as I plan on mating it with my "god-I-hope- it-get's-here-soon" gray pico with clear knob!
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #400 of 711
My friend has two generations of the OQO that thing gets ridiculously expensive. It's 3k with a flash harddrive and a 3 year accidental damage warranty. It's pretty sexy. I can't justify it though for myself but he works in IT and uses it for work all the time.

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #401 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the OQO Model 2

oqo

I remember you showing me that in Florida. Sell a few more Picos and buy yourself one. It would look great with an all black Pico next to it.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #402 of 711
Thanks Justin, that does look interesting.

How much storage? As much as I can get. I am thinking of the two uses and would have to use external hard drives as well but for now I am thinking of a portable storage device with USB as a source for music.

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #403 of 711
Here's a few shots of my Pico mixed in with some other gear. I can post some better close-ups of the Pico on its own later.

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

Pico.jpg

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #404 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw that and it is interesting but no real storage and it weighs 2.2 pounds or a kilo. Maybe a 2.5 external hard drive for storage but I wonder if there isn't something smaller with real storage.

Budget will be your real limiter here.

My P1610 weighs 2.2lbs with the standard battery, over 2.5lbs, but less than 3lbs with the 6 cell extended battery (6 cell battery is shown in my pics.).

I picked the P1610 because it has useable CPU power (1.2GHz Core Solo), higher resolution LCD (1280x768), and a useable keyboard (literally the smallest keyboard that is actually touch typeable). Also it's a Tablet PC, but it lacks an active digitizer which would've made it THE perfect tiny tablet for me.

The OQO2 does have an active digitizer, but the lack of screen resolution, lack of CPU power (even though the clockspeed is higher, it's still slower), and the utter lack of battery power. You'll need the fat extended battery for any useable battery life. But it's tiny and sexy gadget.

If you are looking into a UMPC, you should wait until after CES (Jan 7-10). The new Intel Silverthorne CPU based UMPC's will be very fast and battery efficient. It will be a significant step up in performance.

-Ed

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #405 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing as how this is the unofficial official Pico thread I'll post pics here as well.

Here it is with my Fujitsu P1610 Tiny Tablet PC.

2133751981_f44afefae3_o.jpg

-Ed

i really like this combo. it looks fantastic Ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back