...Pico Slim vs RSA Protector!
Feb 24, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #31 of 204
I will say this and let it go,everyone who has heard the protector has been blown away. Skylab has said that this amp is in a league of it's own and comparing it to other portables would not be fair.Also Ray has brought a totally different amp to market in a timely manner and didn't make us wait for ever unlike the slim which seems like we heard about while Reagan was still president. I will be happy to buy a slim if and when it comes out and someone who has heard more than two amps can contest to it being better than the protector.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #32 of 204
img.php

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #33 of 204
Definitely more interested in the Protector as balanced made a pretty good jump on my HD800s and if the Protector is truly balanced as well then this should be in a league of its own.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #34 of 204
I'm going with both of them, that way I can decide for myself which one is best suitable for my ears. I have owned three RSA amps and have been blown away by all of them. This will be my first Pico, but I can't wait to hear what the fuss is about. I don't believe Ray has rushed anything to the market, I'm sure he has put alot of thought into the Protector, there is a difference when someone posts a thought on here and then begins the stages of design and when someone has a product designed and then brings it to our attention. We don't know how long the Protector has been in the works all we know is when Ray let us know about it.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #35 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by travisg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say this and let it go,everyone who has heard the protector has been blown away. Skylab has said that this amp is in a league of it's own....

Nothing personal against him but he also thinks Darth(Barf) Beyers are the bee's knees. So I can pretty much disregard any impresses he has on audio gear. As for the other glowing impressions they come from the typical fan boys who I fear are closet shills.

That being said it still could be a great amp, minus the crappy balanced connector.

As for now I'll stick with my standard Pico for my JH13s until I actually get a chance to hear both for myself.

Sheep on people.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #37 of 204
If we don't listen to the impressions of the people that visit this site on a steady basis then what are we doing on here. I come on here because I like portable audio gear, I didn't join this site to get the latest tips on how to make a quilt. We take opinions of the people on this site and we make a determination on what amp we want to buy. In the end it ends up being what sounds best to us, because we are all experts, just ask yourself, you'll agree!!!
This is were we get our information, last time I checked at Wal-Mart I couldn't find an RSA or Pico amp.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #38 of 204
Love the TTVJ! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have achieved FOTM status... Perhaps if there were more reviews out there?

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #39 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by belac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we don't listen to the impressions of the people that visit this site on a steady basis then what are we doing on here.

The trick is finding the ones who's tastes align to our own and filtering out the noise of all the attention whores and quasi shills.

Edit: Monkey I live the rotating face palms!

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #40 of 204
Anything that makes my wallett cry out in pain has to be good for me!!!!

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #42 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slim, i'm waiting for a more true balanced solution that actually accepts balanced input. I find it a little odd that once portable dacs with a balanced signal path are released shortly, the protector will not be able tpo be used with them except through a single ended adapter
biggrin.gif

Has any company announced a balanced source yet? Some other poster mentioned a balanced Pico.. if that is in the works, I may reevaluate my position on the Slim
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #43 of 204
yes, ibasso has one in the works as does the makers of the FiQuest. plus i'm making my own (not for sale), i'm not waiting for anyone to sell me one.

also another option when the balanced sources are out is to simply make your own interconnect and buy 2 of whatever your favorite amp is, like the slim as it would still be very compact with 2. then feed them the balanced signal dual mono

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #44 of 204
Is that just a balanced portable dac or are they DAP's with balanced outputs? Like i think once we get the gr9 device thingy for digital output out of the iPod, then all you would need is a portable balanced source and then the balanced amp. I Though i hope the gr9 is jsut a cable and not a built in dac, i would like to be able to chose my dac, though wouldnt the 8 channel sabre dac be the best choice for compact balanced output?

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #45 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that just a balanced portable dac or are they DAP's with balanced outputs? Like i think once we get the gr9 device thingy for digital output out of the iPod, then all you would need is a portable balanced source and then the balanced amp. I Though i hope the gr9 is jsut a cable and not a built in dac, i would like to be able to chose my dac, though wouldnt the 8 channel sabre dac be the best choice for compact balanced output?

the transport does not need to be balanced, digital data is not ever stored this way, balanced is only a method to transfer the electrical signal that carries the data more effectively.

yes indeed the sabre would make a nice balanced portable :p the though HAD crossed my mind already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back