...Pico Slim vs RSA Protector!
Feb 24, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #46 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the transport does not need to be balanced, digital data is not ever stored this way, balanced is only a method to transfer the electrical signal that carries the data more effectively.

yes indeed the sabre would make a nice balanced portable :p the though HAD crossed my mind already

oh i know the transport doesnt need to be balanced, but you could design a dap with a built in balanced dac and just have a balanced output. But thats why i was mentioning the gr9 thingy that allows for digital output out of the iPod, i think that would be perfect with a 8 channel sabre, so if you make one let me know, would you use 2 channels of the dac per "channel"? or only use 4 channels of the dac?

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #48 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can the difference of a 8 channel sabre DAC vs 2 or 4 channel DAC be heard with JH13?

i only suggested the 8 channel because it would easily allow for balanced output without needing more than one chip, because i dont know of a 4 channel high end dac chip, they are all either mono or 2 channel, or the 8 channel sabre dac. And with a two channel you would need two of them or with mono you would need 4 of them, which i could see hard to fit into a portable device, hopefully no larger than the protector or Rx amps, and i wouldnt see that many chips being very easy on the batteries

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #49 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I've heard this about every portable amp RSA has put out and I don't believe it's been true yet. I'll be buying a Slim.

Yup. There is a complementary question to RSA portables sounding as good as his desktop amps.....

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #50 of 204
Went for RSA Protector, but obviously these two are not really competing as they are two amps with completely different aims.

Pico Slim looks like a quality product through and through, but I don't have enough of a need for it to splash out yet.

RSA Protector is a whole new concept and makes me excited. I'm on the pre-order list.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Looking at the comments on this thread, I can understand the hesitance about the Protector. If I had a few months worth of the kind of financial freedom I have now I'd probably wait and see as well.

Bottom line, for reasons I won't bore anyone with for the past six/eight months I have been in an extremely good financial situation, this was always a set of circumstances limited to the end of April, back to reality...
wink.gif

So I'm throwing caution to the wind as an early adopter of this. I'm sure I'll have no problem selling it if I don't like it later down the road anyway.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #51 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I've heard this about every portable amp RSA has put out and I don't believe it's been true yet. I'll be buying a Slim.

If RSA has been making this claim about past amps (hyperlinks to this anyone?) then the cynicism is understandable. Ray made some comment about wire thickness yesterday I found quite logically dubious and I will admit has caused me a bit of concern regarding credibility.

It should be pointed out that this claim about powering damanding full size phones has only been made regarding balanced mode of the amp, which uses two batteries.

Those who have had review models from RSA have been tellingly reticent to talk much about single ended mode (perhaps an agreement with RSA not to mention negatives until after release? I'm not trying to float conspiracy theories here, just very hard to miss their avoidance of discussing SE mode), which I could guess is the same story as any other portable amp.

I personally don't need another portable amp. I'm only interested in balanced sound that doesn't need a balanced source, it's an interesting idea.

Despite being a bit more wary about this after reading opinions on this thread of people whoes I find credible and knowledgeable from past experience (dfkt and Walkgood), I think I'm still going to go ahead with the purchase.

I will give honest opinions to anyone who wants them regarding HD650 through a desktop SE Vs through a Protector balanced.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #53 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray made some comment about wire thickness yesterday I found quite logically dubious and I will admit has caused me a bit of concern regarding credibility.

Yup, that one shocked me too. Since when do you need speaker wire for an adapter to sound good? Why wouldn't all the wire need to be 18AWG then and not just the adapter? And what about all the little board traces that are doing the exact same thing? And a 4-wire 18AWG adapter should be fun to try to tuck into your pocket.
ph34r.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #56 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray made some comment about wire thickness yesterday I found quite logically dubious and I will admit has caused me a bit of concern regarding credibility.

Claims like that one are rather egregious but sadly not uncommon in the audio field.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #57 of 204
Hey, guys, this is not an open season on Ray, Ray didn't made a claim, he made a suggestion which is not "egregious" or "dubious" or "nonsense". If anyone ever has any experience with cable outside of the headphone audio field you would know that as the quality of cable improves, normally, size or gauge improve proportionally also. For instance, I use Transparent Cable and Kimber Cable in my audio system, if you look at the size of transparent cable going from Music Link to Supra to Ultra to Reference etc, the gauge goes from string size to gardner hose size. I had a pair of B&W 801 and I had the Supra for a long time until one day my audio salesman put on a set of Ultra, I almost didn't recognize my speaker, I didn't know speaker can produce bass like that. It is definitely not nonsense but common knowledge in the cable world that bass quality "might" be affected by gauge size. Please don't demonise Ray for saying something that is rather commonly accepted in the cable world. At the very least, it is not groundless, egregious or nonsense.

As you can see, I am rather new to this field but I find it very distasteful to read all this personal attacks on someone who at least tries to bring new product to us. If I like a product, I am demonized and called fanboy. I do not understand how that same standard doesn't apply to themselves when they voted for the other product. By the way, I am on the preorder list of both and will give constructive comments for both products. I do not know either Justin or Ray, and I appreciate both trying to advance new technology in this narrow firld of interest.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #58 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see, I am rather new to this field ....

Enough said. Then why don't you listen to the more senior who have more knowledge. I personally have recently done more scientific tests to challenge my own audiophile myths/beliefs. Guess what, the cable BS is just that, BS. In a controlled test a $200 thin cable beat a $3600 thick cable in all areas. I applaud the community for trying to put a stop to this type of viral BS marketing spouted by many in the field.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #59 of 204
First: I'm with you on supporting new technology; I'm buying an amp off the guy for quite a chunk of change, I certainly don't owe him any kind of specical treatment.

Second: AFAIK the definition of the term "dubious" means doubtful or unconvincing.

Since several posters were doubtful and unconvinced I would say that the term was perfectly fair, fitting and not a slur at all.

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #60 of 204
I will only add, since I've posed my questions and had my say, that personal attacks in this thread or any other will not be tolerated. I don't see any here so far. What I do see are calm, well-reasoned explanations of why users may have taken issue with claims made by a manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back