...Pico Slim vs RSA Protector!
Feb 23, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #16 of 204
I'm sure when the pico slim comes out it will be awesome but im going with the protector because I have used Rays Amps before and he says this one is awesome. Plus I can pic up the phone and talk straight to Ray.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say the protector, as its balanced with ample power to be a standalone desktop balanced amp.

What balanced full-sized phones did you use it with?

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #20 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Protector with balanced output is in another league from any portable amp I've ever heard, including the original Pico w/DAC. It sounds like a desktop amp.

I have no use for a portable but if I did I'd buy the Protector in a split second.

I think I've heard this about every portable amp RSA has put out and I don't believe it's been true yet. I'll be buying a Slim.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #22 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll have to DIY a balanced cable for the HD650 if you want to use the Protector since it does not use any standard balanced out.

Or just DIY an adapter from a standard balanced to the connector used by The Protector.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #23 of 204
slim, i'm waiting for a more true balanced solution that actually accepts balanced input. I find it a little odd that once portable dacs with a balanced signal path are released shortly, the protector will not be able tpo be used with them except through a single ended adapter
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #24 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have a full size balanced amplifier - I'm going with the Slim for the digital volume control and form factor.

word.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 204
I'm going to leave the Protector to the early adopters to see how the connector fares. Once I have JH-13s or similar I might consider a balanced portable amp. However, considering things such as the lack of digital volume control on the Protector, suggest to me that it has been rushed to market somewhat, I think my choice of a Slim is the better one. Just seems most to be concerned with getting his designs perfect, and Ray more with getting his designs released sooner.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #28 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico Slim seems to be an amp based on research, and looks to be an upgrade to the former Pico.

Protector seems to be an amp based on big words and mil-spec nail polish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Just seems most to be concerned with getting his designs perfect, and Ray more with getting his designs released sooner.

Agreed and agreed...bring me my Pico Slim please.
etysmile.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #29 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I've heard this about every portable amp RSA has put out and I don't believe it's been true yet. I'll be buying a Slim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico Slim seems to be an amp based on research, and looks to be an upgrade to the former Pico.

Protector seems to be an amp based on big words and mil-spec nail polish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
… However, considering things such as the lack of digital volume control on the Protector, suggesting to me that it has been rushed to market somewhat, I think my choice of a Slim is the better one. Just seems most to be concerned with getting his designs perfect, and Ray more with getting his designs released sooner.

I couldn’t agree more, what a trifecta
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #30 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slim, i'm waiting for a more true balanced solution that actually accepts balanced input. I find it a little odd that once portable dacs with a balanced signal path are released shortly, the protector will not be able tpo be used with them except through a single ended adapter
biggrin.gif

Yup, just waiting for that portable balanced DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back