...Pico Slim vs RSA Protector!
Mar 1, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #137 of 204
atothex,
The Slim has been on pre-order for months, the protector for a week or two. Hardly surprising more people have made the decision to go for a slim so far.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #140 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Pico Slim capable of driving Sennheiser HD650 ?

Why would you want to pair it with high impedance (300 ohm) full size headphones o_O As the Pico Slim was designed for iem's.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #141 of 204
The slim was designed for portable use, with sensitive headphones, not just IEMs. But yes, HD650s aren't going to be ideal on any portable amp that I know of. They're even challenging for most home amps.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #142 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The slim was designed for portable use, with sensitive headphones, not just IEMs. But yes, HD650s aren't going to be ideal on any portable amp that I know of. They're even challenging for most home amps.

jamato says the protectors drives the 650's better than his WA6

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #146 of 204
Don't take too much salt now, too much Sodium is not good for health
smily_headphones1.gif

Besides, the general point is still valid- the Protector is a better solution than the Pico Slim, for harder-to-drive cans.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #147 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't take too much salt now, too much Sodium is not good for health
smily_headphones1.gif

Besides, the general point is still valid- the Protector is a better solution than the Pico Slim, for harder-to-drive cans.

I don't think that's necessarily true.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #149 of 204
It's like saying a mini is better than a miata for formula 1 racing based solely on design. 1) it doesn't necessarily follow, and 2) it doesn't matter, since neither would be particularly effective.

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #150 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd agree with that from purely a voltage swing perspective, I haven't heard the Protector so can't comment on how it actually sounds. But I'd add the caveat that the Protector is also a decidedly worse solution for sensitive headphones and IEMs. It introduces an extra active stage (phase splitting opamp) in addition to using a volume control that even Ray previously admitted was problematic with sensitive headphones, hence the development of the Shadow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back