Picked up the HD 228! (now with REVIEW and PICS!)
Aug 15, 2009 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

applaudio

500+ Head-Fier
Edit: I have added pics, as well as a review. See page two of this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am holding my breath...

What a coincidence, so am I! For all those who haven't done it before, it can be a lot of fun! Try it sometime!
bigsmile_face.gif

confused_face.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 39
applaudio, congrats on the new cans. New toy joy isnt to be underestimated
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the 228s are a good wake-up call for those of us who keep banging on about wanting a dark, bassy phone that doesn't cost the earth, but I wont pre-empt your review. I look forward to reading it soon.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by robby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hope you found one at a good price and am interested in reading the review.

I got them for $79.99. If you're curious, I got them on sale at Future Shop. Regular price there is $99.99. Those prices are in Canadian funds, BTW.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got them for $79.99. That's about the MSRP on these babies right now, so it was nothing special, but not bad. If you're curious, I got them on sale at Future Shop. Regular price there, oddly, is $99.99. Those prices are in Canadian funds, BTW.

Good price, I think. Congrats on your new headphones. Try the astroid mod! It's so easy, it's not really even a mod. These headphones need to be placed in what seems like a far seat back on the ear. I had to experiment alot with placement before I got it right.

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your new headphones.

Thanks!
happy_face1.gif

Quote:

Try the astroid mod!

I'll be sure to try the mod, don't worry.
wink.gif

Quote:

These headphones need to be placed in what seems like a far seat back on the ear. I had to experiment alot with placement before I got it right.

Yeah, they are slightly fussy about positioning, though actually not as bad as I had prepared myself for. The first time I put them on, since I knew in advance that you need to fiddle around with them to make sure you get the best sound, I immediately started playing with on-ear positioning. As a result, it took me just a few minutes to find and confirm the optimum position on my ears. For me, at least, this means having the back edge of the ear pad more or less lined up with the back of my ear. Since then, I've always just automatically gone right back to the proper positioning every time I've put them on. So, all in all, it's not terribly inconvenient or annoying, but definitely something one needs to know if one is to use them.
smile.gif

Edit: I'm looking at the headphones, and I cant figure out how to remove the pleather pad so I can get at the foam inside. And I don't want to start just trying to pry things apart, in case I damage something. Any hints?

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by robby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just have to tug firmly. Don't be worried about breaking anything.

Seriously, don't be worried. If I can do it anyone can. It takes about a minute or so of fiddling to get them back on afterwards too, so don't despair.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Seriously, don't be worried. If I can do it anyone can. It takes about a minute or so of fiddling to get them back on afterwards too, so don't despair.

Thanks guys, I got it! Not sure if I like it better after the mod, though. I'm surprised how much I like the warm sound of the HD 228 without the mod. They really are quite warm, but it's simply beautiful how the sound comes together. After the mod... well, if you like a slightly brighter sound, then it's definitely for you, but I've come to realize that I really do like the dark sound they have normally. All a matter of preference.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 39
I've gone back and forth a number of times, and I've decided I do like the sound better post-mod. The overall balance is better, and it opens them up even more. Sound-wise, I'd say these are just better than the PX 100.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gone back and forth a number of times, and I've decided I do like the sound better post-mod. The overall balance is better, and it opens them up even more, to the point that I'd swear I was listening to an open-backed can. Sound-wise, I'd say these are just better than the PX 100 in every way.

I'm glad that you like them, and modded. And I am also happy to learn that the mod is so easily reversible (I couldn't imagine it wasn't, but no one seems to have done that yet, so). I agree completely re the PX 100 comparison (just better in every way). The only thing the PX 100 has over the HD 228 in my book is the portability.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

The only thing the PX 100 has over the HD 228 in my book is the portability.

My thoughts exactly. The PX 100 really is nice in that regard though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back