Physical problem with Beyer DT990?
Jan 9, 2011 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

3lusiv3

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the Beyer DT990's and was very happy with them until I stopped using them for a while and now I tried to use them but the paint seems to be coming off the headband making them unusable. Is there a fix for this? The paint is really sticky and is difficult to get off anything that it stains. See pic of stains on my hands.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 45
Oh whoa, that's bad!

First thing I would do is take this picture and send it to beyerdynamic customer service, my bet is they will send you a replacement, because there's clearly something wrong with your pair.

If that doesn't work try to mix a little bit of paint remover (not sure about the exact name) with water and use with a towel to try to remove the paint.

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 45
weird man!

email Beyerdynamic, I'd say
how old are they and where/how did you keep them?

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 45
Yeah, that's pretty...wild. Looks like you got it on the pads too. I'd call Beyer.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 45
I have filled in the email form on the Beyerdynamics web site. Hopefully they will reply.

The headphones are not under warranty. They are about 4-5 years old but have had very little use. They have always been stored in the original leather case and kept in my lounge room. I'm hoping they will see it as a manufacturing fault and still replace them even though they are out of warranty.

I looked at the headband but I can't figure out how to get it off, because the headphones are unusable at the moment.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 45
I just looked through my emails and found out the purchase date. I bought them in September 2006 from B&H online.

[size=medium]
[size=8pt] BEDT990SE[/size][size=8pt] 1[/size][size=8pt] DT990 OPEN HIFI HEADPHONE 2005 EDITION[/size]
[/size]  

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 45
Is the 2005 edition the current one in production?  I've had all three Beyers over here and I can't even see how that black crap is even possible.  I can only imagine industrial chemicals got involved and melted and stripped away the pleather/leather to give that outcome. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 45

Quote:
Is the 2005 edition the current one in production?  I've had all three Beyers over here and I can't even see how that black crap is even possible.  I can only imagine industrial chemicals got involved and melted and stripped away the pleather/leather to give that outcome. 

yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back