Phonak Perfect Bass 012 & 022 - new models
Jul 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #46 of 86

Quote:
Quote:
I also got a mail from Phonak (Germany) and they say:

So the green filter will cost 20€?! Way too much! I just bought the PFE 112 for 119€ yesterday and if that's true what timar says I'll be giving them back today. Didn't expect the price difference to be that huge! Guess I'll can wait another week and then get the PFE 012 or even the PFE 022!

You need to realise that us british people have to pay £30 for the 8 green ones, and be aware that £1>1 Euro. So you can be selling them on ebay and have a greatly-variable profit margin :p

And yes, that goal...

Green filters ordered last night, $14.95 US including postage.  I have the 112s so we'll see what they do.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #47 of 86

OK, green filters are in my 112s, and it's like a different product.  I'm still checking out as much different stuff as possible, but first impressions:

>  I could use them before (at home, not on airplanes) without an amp.  The attenuation of the new filters has me using the amp as I sit here typing.  Will not fly with them until next week.

>  Definitely more bass.  Probably more than my previous setup of grey with bass boost EQ on the Ipod.

>  Sounds like maybe a little midrange hump compared to before.  Highs are still clear but voices are much more in your proverbial face. 

It might just be that the change is so dramatic that I need to get used to it a bit more.  More time will tell.

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #48 of 86
Are the 012 Perfect Bass models, equivalent to your PFE's with Green Filter?

How good are they for Hip Hop, Dub, and Pop?

Its either the PFE 012 Perfect Bass or Hippo VB and im struggling to decide, and any other advice is welcome.

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #49 of 86
Looks intreasting 
happy_face1.gif
 , never tried a phonak

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #50 of 86
Perfect Bass? sounds cool! Unfortunately I couldn't find any place in the country I live in, that sells Phonak earphones:frowning2: There is a store that sells Phonak's hearing aids, but not the earphones.

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #51 of 86
Phonak should make an earphone called "Perfect Earphone" where everything is just perfect.
Ok, I know it's impossible because people have different taste....maybe they can have a EQ on the cable or something so u can make it sound the best for you. maybe I am getting a little too crazy here 
gs1000.gif
 but it would be cool! (at least for me)

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #52 of 86
Update to the green filter experiment:  I have switched the Ipod to "Bass Reducer" EQ and it's just about perfect for me.  Seems to have flattened out the whole sound, which is what I prefer.  Bass is there, for sure (and I am not a basshead by any means) but not overwhelming.  It also seem like the drivers are a little happier with a little less low frequency, and the level is back up a little bit (I am not running the amp quite as hard.)  So that's going to work for me for the foreseeable future, until I  get the yen to upgrade to the next level.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #54 of 86

Quote:
Green filter working better than the Grey/Black filters for you then?
This might secure my PFE 012 purchase =P

I admit I never tried the blacks, but I am much happier with the greens than the greys.  Remember, though, that these are 112s, not 012s.

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #56 of 86
branedamag-
Wow, amazing that a simple filter can change the sound of an earphone so drastically. But the fact that they really scream for an amp with the green suggests they create more resistance, and therefore a harder load to drive. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #57 of 86

Quote:
branedamag-
Wow, amazing that a simple filter can change the sound of an earphone so drastically. But the fact that they really scream for an amp with the green suggests they create more resistance, and therefore a harder load to drive. 

it's acoustic/mechanical loading, too, since obviously the filter does not change electrical characteristics.  I wonder if this would have any negative long-term effects on the drivers themselves.  I am definitely one of those listeners who don't heed the warning labels.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #58 of 86
I'm definitely looking forward to trying the filter change. I'll probably order tomorrow, if they are available in the US that is. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #59 of 86
Hello
I just purchased from a German web site (heimk***o-hi**) PFE012 for 79 euro, convinced by the reviews. Unfortunately I first listened to these headphones proved to be a total disappointment. The bass is completely absent, and the sound is metallic and shrill. In my opinion I have sold a defective pair of earphones.
Probably or the audio filters, the green, or the transducers are malfunctioning or are having problems.
Contacted the seller, they not only refuses to make is made according to the right of withdrawal, but warranty service without charge. Instead, it proposes to carry out a cleaning cost of 25 Euro, arguing that it is a health product and that, having used (only once) needs cleaning.

So beware

greetings 

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #60 of 86

Quote:
I got some good news that will put smile on those of you who already own a PFE as well as those who are think of getting one: The new PFE-PB is indeed using the same transducers as the old PFE, the change is in the filter. A new set of bass enhanced filters (I believe it is green colored) will be used instead of the old grey/black filter, and the sound will of course be different. The good news is the filter is exchangeable, so current user can turn their PFE into PFE-PB by getting the new filter when it becomes available. Vice versa, new PFE-PB owner will also be able to 'upgrade' their sound in the future by getting the PFE grey/black filter if they want to. The sound signature is said to be quite different from the current two filters so now we have three different sound in one package. Also the lowering in price is to be more competitive in the current market. The build quality and design is the same as current PFE but you won't get as many accessories as mentioned above.

that's great! I hope they improve also their build quality that it was already good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back