Phonak Audeo?
Feb 4, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #811 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you do a review (mini or otherwise) of the PFEs? I will look back, but your impressive collection makes me wonder where you rank them.

I've done a small impression on it in the other appreciation thread. Basically, I'm really impressed at how balanced it sounds. Not too much bass. Not too much shrill. Everything just seems enough. If I had to rank them, I'd rank them highest out of all the other IEMs I have and had in the past. It's a purely personal preference and I don't think they are technically any superior to say SE530 or Triple.fi 10 but for this price at this size they are darn good. Or more than good.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #812 of 2,281
Bummer. I can't place an order from their website. The error message says that the online store is only available for visitors from US and Canada. I'm in Cayman at the moment but always use either a US credit card or a PayPal bank transfer and have things shipped to a US address.

No matter, I can't even access their online store to even see the pricing information or the online ordering forms, etc. I guess they don't want my business...

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #814 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cookies used by their site mess a lot of things up... maybe clear the cookies and try a different location at the selection popup?

i haven't checked but i have a slight suspicion that they check your location via your IP to determine where you are...try accessing it via a US-based proxy server

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #815 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bummer. I can't place an order from their website. The error message says that the online store is only available for visitors from US and Canada. I'm in Cayman at the moment but always use either a US credit card or a PayPal bank transfer and have things shipped to a US address.

No matter, I can't even access their online store to even see the pricing information or the online ordering forms, etc. I guess they don't want my business...

I don't know how much this will help, but I'm in California, US. And I looked up the local PFE dealer . I ordered through them, and they said it would take 2 days to get them in. Might be better than ordering on the website anyway. The price was $139 without mic and $159 with.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #816 of 2,281
fedex just delivered them to my office an hour ago.

My only base comparison is with the UM1's that i've sent back and recieved my partial credit for from earphonesolutions.com yesterday.

Packaging: was a bit less substantial than the westones but still overkill considering the actual size of the materials involved. I'm sure that didn't help in the cost of shipping either. I'd have been happier with more sensible packaging...and so would phonak i suspect but they need to show well on store shelves and so they make big packages.

Product: Holy crap these are tiny little things. when i read that they were small from others it didn't apprently sink in. almost laughable in comparison to even my earbuds from the zune.
the filter box/tool is well thought out.
extra tips and tools are all as expected.
silicon ear guides...still working these out. not sure if their it or not but a nice value add-on that i just need some time to fit to my uses.

didn't like how intricatley wrapped the PFE's cables were around themselves for shipping. The UM1's came with a cable tie, the phonaks were pretty seriously snaked and wrapped. just took some time and caution to uncoil.

Also as a side note; fed-ex hit me with a 30$ duties bill on arrival. Not to happy with that since i thought that was covered under phonaks shipping fees. Westones were mailed to me and that cost me zero. Westone wins on that one!

Useage: The cable is nice and thick, however i very much prefer the UM1's colied over itself design so far. its less thick and felt more secure. I'm also noticing that when i have the cables behind my head that they 'pull' on my skin and tug when i look left or right...that was not the case at all with the Westone cables which were obviously slipperier over skin.
I'm not noticiing any microphonics when behind my head but when was was walking around with them in front i did notice it pretty apparently (this is my first experience with that characteristic and its really annoying). Suffice to say that their permanently behind the ears for me.

the plug sticks straight out, i'd much prefer a 90degree design. here the westone wins.

I'm sure they won't be quite as comfortable for sleeping /resting on but just pushing my hand against my ear their not causing any pressure points. tonight i'll know.

Performace: WOW. right from the first note i was immediatly happier than i was with the UM1's. Bass with the grey tips, using a 4gb zune (no eq settings) was very very nice. not overpowering, probably not basshead by anymeans but i physically felt it when i hits..unlike the um1's which never had any bass even when EQ'd to death on a 2G touch. As far as i can tell, on the tracks i have, the bass doesn't roll off at all but i have to spend more time digging and trying to hear it. it may, but its not obvious.

mids are on par with the UM1s (which are its strength).

highs: again, like the bass, suddenly i'm hearing them again. Dave matthews sounds like himself, so does gord downey...that made me nuts on the UM1's, so much that i couldn't listen to some of my favourite songs anymore. Now their back. On occassion i can pick up slight hints at sillibance (sp?) but i have to strain to hear it and then question it a bit.

The soundstage/separation is not nearly as large from what i can hear now in comparison to the UM1's. I feel everything is front and centre, this is a bit of a letdown.

The Impedence is obvious. Westones for comfortable hearing were running 3-4 settings lower on the zune than the PFE's. i couldn't turn the UM1's on full volume with even my lowest volume track...the PFE's take signifigantly more to drive in comparison.

barely tested them otherwise. I've put the black filters in, yup it adds bass but i didn't like how the mids went backwards.
Comply tips, but i'll appreciate the silicone ones during biking efforts or at the gym.
Noise isolation isn't nearly as good but its also not really a drawback. Sometimes i need/want isolation at work to concentrate but the pfe's are reasonably good, just not nearly AS good as the westones.
The PFE's are also scad loads easier to insert without looking like your having a bit of fit to co-workers.

i'm very happy. feel that i've spent good money and hope i never get the chance to try some 400$ IEMs on because i seem to be mostly happy just now.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #819 of 2,281
Yep. Me too. Finally. I moved to the small olives to try and dampen the highs just a bit, and also notice more volume with the gray filters (as others mentioned). But you are right, you do not want a bright amp with these. The minibox, which is really not burned in yet (just got it a week ago, as a replacement for my original, and it seems a refurb so it could be burned in. Just no way of knowing), is a perfect match for the PFEs. I flick on the 6DB bass boost, and man, the sound is simply superb.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #820 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not me.

Geez, now you got me thinking again. LOL. I might have to alternate weeks or something. I thought you had made the move too. The black filters beckon...must resist. Just kidding. I will go back to them again, and see what I think, but I want to give the gray filters a fair shake this time. There are hints of harshness with the grays that I never heard with the blacks. Do you sense that too? And is it a factor in choice of filters?

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #822 of 2,281
I think Phonak themselves say it best:

Quote:

The easy-to-replace, passive audio filters adapt the frequency response to your individual listening preferences and provide crystal clear, luscious sound.

The purpose of this filter is to provide you with the best quality sound that matches what you would hear naturally when not wearing ear tips. Hearing differs significantly from one person to another, and unlike standard earphones, Audéo PFE allows you to select the filter that works best for you.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #823 of 2,281
Black filters for me too (just got mine a couple days ago). I'm still trying to get a grip on their signature and whether or not it's for me. I love their detail and crispness but could do without the spots of sibilance that crop up with silicone tips at adequate volumes (and I can't tolerate foam tips with any earphone). Plus -- brace yourself -- I think I'd prefer more midbass. <gasp!>

This leads me to conclude that I am no audiophile. Give me fun or give me silence.
biggrin.gif
I will say the Image X10s are more to my liking at this juncture.

On a side note, my un-burned-in IE8s are sounding pretty good except for their overwhelming amounts of slow, muddy midbass. So there is certainly such a thing as too much for me. Let's hope they tighten up as others have reported.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #824 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black filters for me too (just got mine a couple days ago). I'm still trying to get a grip on their signature and whether or not it's for me. I love their detail and crispness but could do without the spots of sibilance that crop up with silicone tips at adequate volumes (and I can't tolerate foam tips with any earphone). Plus -- brace yourself -- I think I'd prefer more midbass. <gasp!>

This leads me to conclude that I am no audiophile. Give me fun or give me silence.
biggrin.gif
I will say the Image X10s are more to my liking at this juncture.

On a side note, my un-burned-in IE8s are sounding pretty good except for their overwhelming amounts of slow, muddy midbass. So there is certainly such a thing as too much for me. Let's hope they tighten up as others have reported.

I can see your point. The (black filters fitted) Phonaks have great and precise bass, but lately I find myself sometimes preferring the fulness of the IE8s - depending on the genre of the music.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #825 of 2,281
i'll be putting an E5 into the mix when it finally arrives from hongkong. i suspect that adding a bit more bass and still keep the greys in but it should make for even better bass flavour.

side question: what causes some wires to have microphonics and some not? it seems like an obvious thing you'd want to avoid when making IMEs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back