Phonak Audeo?
Feb 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #781 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. I just can't get used to the gray ones. I use both silicone and Comply, and like both. But I am going to try out that mod from dfkt. It is pretty amazing that the filters can make such an a difference. Two phones for the price of one. I guess some folks are rankled by all the fuss over these phones, but every time I check to see if I am nuts/exaggerating, I really enjoy hearing them again (with the black filters). I just believe they will become the leading mid-priced IEM, if more people could get access to them (listening Phonak?). I know the IE8s, TF10s, etc., of the world are higher quality IEMs, but I just like the clarity and detail so much. Sorry for being repetitive.

I really enjoy mine with the grey filters and silicone tips.. I am grinning ear to ear right now.

I will do a extended black filter listening test.

Just popped in the black filters.Will update after a lot more listening. Black filters still maintain the clarity just the bass is more pronounced and the mids are more recessed.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #782 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only person that thinks the black filters reduce the detail level?

I tried using the grey filters, didn't like the sound sig vs. the IE8, went back to the black, and felt like something was missing (detail and sound stage), and I still like the sound sig of the IE8s better. So I tried EQing with the grey filters and still like the IE8 better, plus I don't feel the need to EQ.

Oh, and the tips, trying the silicon again made me realize I do prefer the comply tips.

Biggest difference I notice between the grey and black filters when using foam tips is that the sound is a lot darker, soundstage slightly smaller but instrumental separation greatly diminished.

I've settled on black filters and silicon tips as a good compromise between what I like best about the black (fuller sound, less prominent mids) and grey filters (increased separation, transparency and vol.). Couldn't get used to the grey filters either as while excellent on well mastered tracks they were just a little too sibilant on some of my old recordings which accounts for a substantial amount of my collection.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #783 of 2,281
truly amazing, havent taken them out of my ears since i got them, minus the meeting I had... Using blacks with the complys. Question, what would people suggest for a slightly smaller comply tip that works with the PFEs? apparently my left ear canal is slightly smaller than my right and is in slight discomfort compared to my right ear which is in pure bliss

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #784 of 2,281
It seems that a few users here agree on the differences with Black vs. Grey filters. Being an ER4 junkie, Grey works best for me.

I've never felt that the Grey filters are too bright. Even the bass with Grey is impressive, I often felt that Black filters were a bit bloated and sucked out detail.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #788 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by marshes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
truly amazing, havent taken them out of my ears since i got them, minus the meeting I had... Using blacks with the complys. Question, what would people suggest for a slightly smaller comply tip that works with the PFEs? apparently my left ear canal is slightly smaller than my right and is in slight discomfort compared to my right ear which is in pure bliss

Only really small comply tip is the T100 small, and I used one with the PFEs. But if came off in my ear, which sucks. Trust me. I use two different sized Complys on the W3s, so I understand your issue. Maybe the small olives would work better, as they have very narrow sound tubes.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #789 of 2,281
Hmm, by inverting the olive, do you mean putting them on the sound tube backwards? Would like to give this "inverting" thing a try.
One of the best thing about olives, is they are available locally at a apple store
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #790 of 2,281
yeah, gonna probably pick up some olives when I get some more cash... ug valentines day is also coming up... I'm actually looking forward to trying olives with grey filter, and maybe eqing just a tad, like some peeps have suggested.

Anyone have an extra set of med. olives they'd be willing to sell....?

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #793 of 2,281
I'm in need of a new set of IEM's, and I wanna ditch the ol' crappy stock Apple ones that came with my iPod.

After much research on this website, and countless others, I have narrowed down my search to a choice of 3 IEM's, and I can only afford one!

1st: Atrio M5/M8's...I heard these were good all around, but what worries me is the size of the buds themselves, and how bulky or funny looking they will be in my ears, and EXACTLY how hard is it to get these into your ears? Is it really that hard??? Future Sonics Atrio M5 / M8 Review

2nd: Phonak Audeo PFE's...I like just about everything I hear about these, except for the weird fit in your ear can hurt a bit if they don't fit your ear perfect and can almost "dig" into parts of your ear cause their more blocky than round. Phonak Audéo PFE (Perfect Fit Earphone) Review

3rd: Jays Q-JAYS...I was originally looking at these because people said the bass and mid was better than the ER4's, but not quite as good of treble. It also intrigued me that they are small like the hf5's. Again, problems with these are I've heard is microphonic cables, and can be more sibilant than Ety's. JAYS q-JAYS Review

I mainly listen to a lot of rock, acoustic, and some R & B: Metallica, Airborne Toxic Event, Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, 30 Seconds to Mars, the Beatles, Less Than Jake, Linkin Park, Sublime, etc.

I want these to be able to be used for everyday use, from sitting at home, to walking around, to exercising!

So...after my research, that's kinda what it boils down to for me. Any suggestions which way I should go? Please?????

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #794 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure, I know one of my black ones are junk now because the filter is starting the dislocate from the plastic ring for some reason. I'm quite careful when changing them so they seem pretty fragile. Could just be it came like that though.

hmm.... hesitating on purchase though i made an order. coz of these filter stuff and loop over ear style (i wearing glasses).

considering UE superfi 5 v2 but budget constraint. after reading pages n pages, was thinking of getting an exotic entry of IEM world for a try.

PS: never audition both b4 though.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #795 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by FightOnBoLT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in need of a new set of IEM's, and I wanna ditch the ol' crappy stock Apple ones that came with my iPod.

You have started a thread and posted the same question in in 2 other threads (that I have found). It would be best to just rely on the thread you created so your info is in one spot, and others can follow and provide information, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back