Phonak Audeo?
Feb 11, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #1,096 of 2,281
so how does a single driver compete with dual & tripple driver IEM's, Is it the filters that have somthing to do with it, I need to replace my westone um1, and my instincts tell me to just get the um1 again. but these seem to have near the comfort of the westones, but from what people are discussing makes it sound like the perform leaps above the um1 so that is why im scratching my head on what to do.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #1,097 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact if I were to sum these IEMs up, I would call them... just right!

Thats a good statement cause as far as SQ goes i wouldnt change a thing.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #1,098 of 2,281
Welp, finally found my iM716's after about 3months of them being lost...

Don't really miss them now though, lol... I tried the tri-flanges on the PFE's... and while I do get more isolation and bass (even with grey filters), the upper midrange suffers greatly. Not worth it.

nG

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #1,099 of 2,281
I was at the gym today, my PFE's accidentally fell on the floor and i stepped on the tip part, enough to have both complys come off and go flat. I was afraid I might have broke or smashed the sound tube but it was surprisingly unscratched.

Now I REALLY have to try that hydrogen peroxide cleaning thing for my complys as there's dirt all over it
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #1,100 of 2,281
Received my pair last week and am very happy. They are very comfortable and seem to disappear after a while.

I agree with a previous comment about these benefiting from a little amping. After using them for a week unamped, I hooked an E5 up and they definitely responded well.

I was looking at W3s, then eventually went with these instead and am glad to have done so. With the almost $300 saved, I can invest in other pieces of gear meanwhile not feeling like I gave up much, if anything, by not going with W3.

I also like the way they look better than any other iem. So...win-win-win?

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #1,101 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so how does a single driver compete with dual & tripple driver IEM's, Is it the filters that have somthing to do with it, I need to replace my westone um1, and my instincts tell me to just get the um1 again. but these seem to have near the comfort of the westones, but from what people are discussing makes it sound like the perform leaps above the um1 so that is why im scratching my head on what to do.

No point scratching your head. The PFEs crush the UM1s SQ-wise. I don't think anyone will debate that. I had the UM1s for a week, shipped them back. Muddy mess to me, way too "warm" and no sparkle at all. And the comfort on the PFE is equal to the UM1s, not near.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #1,102 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbevier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my pair last week and am very happy. They are very comfortable and seem to disappear after a while.

I agree with a previous comment about these benefiting from a little amping. After using them for a week unamped, I hooked an E5 up and they definitely responded well.

I was looking at W3s, then eventually went with these instead and am glad to have done so. With the almost $300 saved, I can invest in other pieces of gear meanwhile not feeling like I gave up much, if anything, by not going with W3.

OH yes, WIN!

The W3 almost sucked me in too and I'm glad to have saved much money and I ended up being very happy with the PFE.

WTTPAPFE ([size=xx-small]welcome to team phonak audeo PFE[/size]) lol
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #1,103 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was at the gym today, my PFE's accidentally fell on the floor and i stepped on the tip part, enough to have both complys come off and go flat. I was afraid I might have broke or smashed the sound tube but it was surprisingly unscratched.

Now I REALLY have to try that hydrogen peroxide cleaning thing for my complys as there's dirt all over it
tongue.gif

Lucky you!
atsmile.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #1,104 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No point scratching your head. The PFEs crush the UM1s SQ-wise. I don't think anyone will debate that. I had the UM1s for a week, shipped them back. Muddy mess to me, way too "warm" and no sparkle at all. And the comfort on the PFE is equal to the UM1s, not near.

The pfe's already crushed my previous UM2, not to mentioned UM1's heh

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #1,105 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbevier /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes they really do disappear after awhile and they respond nicely with any amps. And yes they do look hawt
k701smile.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #1,108 of 2,281
alright, so 3 of my black filters have torn around the brim now...so I am trying the grey filters, and I actually like the sound of them better than I thought (I had only tried them for 5 min when I first got them). The bass is still there with the grey, and the mids and highs are a lot clearer, if not more pronounced, which makes sense looking at that one graph of the frequency response.

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #1,109 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool. I have to get some of that stuff (or DIY some). I bought a pack of T130s, but now I can renew them.

3% Hydrogen Peroxide seems the be the norm actually. I bought mine from a Longs but I think anywhere with a pharmacy should have it. My contact cleaning solution even uses 3% hydrogen peroxide, though I would think the other chemicals in it would kill the comply foam
tongue.gif

Edit: Searched Walmart.com and their hydrogen peroxide is also 3%. The only drawback I think is there's a VERY slight Hyd. Perox. smell to them after but I don't exactly go smelling things that come out of my ear
tongue.gif
Probably goes away if you air them out more anyway.

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #1,110 of 2,281
So I've now been listening to the PFEs for almost a week and I've decided to cancel my order for the IE8s. I'm sure that it's very possible that I'd like the IE8s more but I'm really happy with the PFEs and as long as I don't hear the IE8s, I won't know the difference! Here are other reasons I've made this decision:

- I mostly listen to music at home and in my car so I really only need the IEMs for when I travel, which isn't enough for me to justify the added cost.

- I will use these almost exclusively with my iPhone and I'm not sure if I'll notice the big difference between the IE8s and PFEs without something better driving them.

- I really like the mic/control function that I get from the PFEs paired with my iPhone. I made a couple of calls with it today and it's much more convenient when I switch from music to a call than having to pull out my IEMs.

- I'm a little concerned about the isolation of the IE8s. I will be using them a lot on airplanes and I think that the PFEs will be OK if use the olive tips.

I guess my main point should be that I'm loving my PFEs enough to consider them keepers and suspend my quest for the perfect IEMS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back