Phonak Audeo?
Jan 21, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #436 of 2,281
That code sure makes choosing the overnight option easier. You guys do all the rest!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #438 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this is like the longest-running post I've started. Crazy. I don't even own a pair of these.

Yes, and a belated thanks. But why don't you own them? Time to buy.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #439 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I noted, with tinkering (tips, EQ), the W3s sound pretty awesome to me. There is a reverberation factor (is that warmth?) that is missing with the Audeos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to like the warmth that headphones added the Shure530's being one of them along side the W3's. They do add to it. I agree there’s particular warmth there but I noticed that certain 'added' part due to some phones missing in the Phonaks as well.

But I believe the result to taking out this added warmth that was never there in the first place on the recording is excellent. That’s why the filters were included....to add the warmth to a certain extent.

I agree about the lack of reverberation factor or added warmth, which is the only negative to me for these. Comparing to my NE-7 (currently my only IEM comparison), on some songs the bass reverberation just isn't there, but on other songs, it is (Armin van Buuren - Imagine, reverberation not there; Chamillionaire - Industry Groupie, the bass sounds the same, just a little different quantity).

I am wondering, is this really added by the IEM (if so, wouldn't that be distortion), or is the PA just not delivering? The only other system I have that can reproduce it is my 2 cars, which have the reverberation. And have tried using the EQ on my Fuze get it, but have not been successful (my PC sound card just quit, so I can't test that).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That’s why bad recording sound worse and good recording sound...better.

Even with 128kbps tracks, I think the PA does an excellent job with vocals, making the song more listenable even if the instrument sound quality suffers. At least to my ears, and more so than my other phones.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #440 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree about the lack of reverberation factor or added warmth, which is the only negative to me for these. Comparing to my NE-7 (currently my only IEM comparison), on some songs the bass reverberation just isn't there, but on other songs, it is (Armin van Buuren - Imagine, reverberation not there; Chamillionaire - Industry Groupie, the bass sounds the same, just a little different quantity).

I am wondering, is this really added by the IEM (if so, wouldn't that be distortion), or is the PA just not delivering? The only other system I have that can reproduce it is my 2 cars, which have the reverberation. And have tried using the EQ on my Fuze get it, but have not been successful (my PC sound card just quit, so I can't test that).

The Ne-7M is a very colored presentation. It adds a mid bass hump. From reports here the Phonak doesn't. I would think the Phonak is more accurate. I won't get mine till Friday but I have heard the NE-7m. I found the NE-7m's dynamic driver slow and a little sloppy with bass.

If you are used to mid-fi sounding systems that add the mid bass hump that is the kind of sound quality the NE-7m produce.

You might just have a preference for dynamic driver type sound.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #441 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ne-7M is a very colored presentation. It adds a mid bass hump. From reports here the Phonak doesn't. I would think the Phonak is more accurate. I won't get mine till Friday but I have heard the NE-7m. I found the NE-7m's dynamic driver slow and a little sloppy with bass.

If you are used to mid-fi sounding systems that add the mid bass hump that is the kind of sound quality the NE-7m produce.

You might just have a preference for dynamic driver type sound.

I agree that the NE-7 is colored compared to the PA, but there is also deep bass in some songs that isn't presented in the PA. I am not sure if the bass reverberation as tstarn called it is coloration/distortion or just a dynamic driver moving more air. To me it is more of a feel/sensation than a sound, although there is definitely a sound associated with it.

Maybe you are right...I am still [re] learning hi-fi with my current playlist, but to my ears it sounds different. Playing bass test tones with my NE-7, I can hear/sense 16 Hz, with the PA it starts at about 21 Hz. Maybe it is my ears (or the combination of my ears and the insertion/seal), maybe coloration. I guess I like the coloration.

I am hoping my IE8s get to me today so I have another quality phone for comparison.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #442 of 2,281
Quote:

I agree that the NE-7 is colored compared to the PA, but there is also deep bass in some songs that isn't presented in the PA. I am not sure if the bass reverberation as tstarn called it is coloration/distortion or just a dynamic driver moving more air. To me it is more of a feel/sensation than a sound, although there is definitely a sound associated with it.

Maybe you are right...I am still [re] learning hi-fi with my current playlist, but to my ears it sounds different. Playing bass test tones with my NE-7, I can hear/sense 16 Hz, with the PA it starts at about 21 Hz. Maybe it is my ears (or the combination of my ears and the insertion/seal), maybe coloration. I guess I like the coloration.

I am hoping my IE8s get to me today so I have another quality phone for comparison.

The NE-7M is only slightly colored compared to a Denon C700 or Z.buds. But that is why I have ranked the Phonak a little above the NE-7M. I am still impressed with the NE-7M as sounding close to IEM 3x it's price.

My Phonak and NE-7M both can do 16Hz to my ears, but there are subtle differences down there that I'll play with later.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #443 of 2,281
I tested my PA with this
Rhintek Incorporated - Loudspeaker Frequency Response Test
I could hear 20hz to 12khz (Both included). But at 20hz it was like an earthquake. Sound was too low, but vibration. At 12khz it was a hiss sound and tangling on my teeth. It's normal because of human hear limits. I think Phonak doesn't have a problem with bass reproduction. If basses are actualy there, it play.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #444 of 2,281
Quote:

What volume level can you hear the 16Hz on the NE-7m? The Phonak seem to need more power so you would need to do some level matching.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #445 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Communic, when you get a chance to use your Phonaks outside, I'd love to read your thoughts on them in that setting (to see if your predictions hold true).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the issue of outdoor use, I tried using the Audeos last week on a train, but they sounded overwhelmed by outside noise. I switched to the W3s. But today, for the first time, I tried the medium silicone stock sleeves and made sure I had a good seal, and with the Touch and no amp, they held up very well with the sounds (traffic, sirens) of the Independence Mall neighborhood, where I live. So I guess the seal I got with the foamies was not a good one, cause they do isolate well. I also had to crank the Touch up to about 80 percent, which was not ear damage loud, but loud enough to overcome the city sounds.

I'll start by saying I've been using T100's akin to the way a silicon sleeve would be used in that I can *almost* just push them down my ear without the need to roll up and squeeze as you would most foamies.

Used the phonaks to work today with the T100 slims as I have done previously with the X10's for the past several months and the lack of midbass hump did indeed result in a leaner sound compared to the x10's as the lower bass punch wasn't proficient enough to compensate. Walked back home and swapped the T100's for the included T130's and thus obtained a better seal. The lower bass then impacted enough to add good weight to the body of the track and wasn't much different to what I was hearing when using the T100's at home. The flipside is that when listening at home the lower bass can get a bit overwhelming at times and can make the bassline a little harder to follow though regardless it's still handled much better than the x10's.

So I suppose tstarn has a point in that a good seal does go a long way but I never liked a full seal with the X10's as they sounded better with a minute amount of air allowed to circulate in and out of the ear cavity. Maybe I will try the grey filters to see what sort of an effect they might have.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #446 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NE-7M is only slightly colored compared to a Denon C700 or Z.buds. But that is why I have ranked the Phonak a little above the NE-7M. I am still impressed with the NE-7M as sounding close to IEM 3x it's price.

My Phonak and NE-7M both can do 16Hz to my ears, but there are subtle differences down there that I'll play with later.

I agree, I am very impressed with the NE-7 for the price. I don't feel like I am losing much, if anything when I use the NE-7, just when I switch from one to another, especially with a song with vocals I love.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What volume level can you hear the 16Hz on the NE-7m? The Phonak seem to need more power so you would need to do some level matching.

At 50% on my Fuze for the NE-7, and I usually listen at around 30 to 65% depending upon the song/mood. On the Phonaks with my usual listening level of about 65%, I can start to hear 20 Hz, and at 25 Hz it is noticeably louder compared with 24 Hz. I can start to hear 16 Hz at about 80% volume on the Phonaks.

Maybe it is my ear/Phonak coupling as I think the Phonaks are supposed to be flat down to 5 Hz (from what I read).

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #447 of 2,281
Just listened to the tones again with olives and a deeper insertion and with that setup I can barely hear 16 Hz at my normal listening volume of 65%. But still doesn't compare with the NE-7s. at my normal listening volume.

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #448 of 2,281
My order of olives was canceled and now I cant find them for much less than $20. So I'll check out the included tips and hopefully not need the olives.

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #449 of 2,281
How do the PAs and NE-7s compare in the highs?

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #450 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the PAs and NE-7s compare in the highs?

I just ran test tones with the NE-7s and the large silicon tips and the PAs with the olives...I could hear up to 16.5KHz with both, but the at normal listening volume there was marginal drop off with the NE-7s, and a larger drop off after 15.5KHz with the PAs. Although, when I use the PAs with the large silicon they slightly brighter.

When listening, they are very close in my opinion, with the PAs being more detailed with slightly better instrument seperation, but not by a whole lot. Symbols and triangles etc. sound more realistic and accurate in the PAs, but the NE-7 isn't too far behind. The mids and bass is where I notice the biggest differences between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back