Phonak Audeo?
Jan 21, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #451 of 2,281
@average joe which test tones did you use? I was read somewhere human ear can not hear over 15khz. Actualy 11-12khz is wery rare except younger ages.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #452 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulyses /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@average joe which test tones did you use? I was read somewhere human ear can not hear over 15khz. Actualy 11-12khz is wery rare except younger ages.

I used the NCH Tone Generator to generate sin wave tones at various frequencies, every 500Hz on the high end. From what I know, the human ear can hear up to 20Khz at a young age and that decreases with age. Others have claimed to hear in that range, but it varies from person to person.

I know I am clearly hearing the 16.5KHz tone, as I listen backwards from somewhere between 18 to 20KHz (I randomly select between that range so I don't memorize the time it takes for me to hear a tone) and see where I can first hear a tone.

And I might not be able to hear beyond 16.5KHz, so either might be able to produce it.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #453 of 2,281
I try the test. And I started to hear from 16hz to 15.5khz. Also I try it with Sennheiser px100 and listening started from 12hz to 15khz. Weird, I couldn't hear this much from other test.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #455 of 2,281
Got mine in, listening via RB'd Sansa E270...

I like them a lot so far, will give more details after more listening... first album I'm on is Daft Punk - Alive (v0 mp3)

They come stock with the gray filters I guess? Looking forward to switching out to black later tonight after I get off work.

nG

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #456 of 2,281
I use Michael Knowles Binks Audio Test CD

There are studies that show the lower limit of human hearing can be as low as 15-16Hz in some individuals, and the 32' pipe on a pipe organ is 16Hz. Average is 20-20K, with HF loss as one gets older.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #457 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Michael Knowles Binks Audio Test CD

There are studies that show the lower limit of human hearing can be as low as 15-16Hz in some individuals, and the 32' pipe on a pipe organ is 16Hz. Average is 20-20K, with HF loss as one gets older.

There is more than one reason why a 32" pipe organ is 16Hz. The 17Hz infrasonic experiment demonstrated one of those reasons.
Spacedog: exhibits and live events for museums, galleries and festivals
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Organ music 'instils religious feelings'

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #459 of 2,281
I can't buy this from the official website and they have no dealers.

I'm after the one with the mic..

They don't ship international (to Australia). Any dealer that do?

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #460 of 2,281
Trying to find out which tip I like best...

I've never really liked comply's... but I haven't had a wide variety. Kind of liking the small silicone... pushed in.

I do find myself kind of wanting the tri-flange tips from my iM716's to try they always sealed REALLY well for me.

Man do I love the detail of the highs on these....

nG

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #461 of 2,281
I have been using the olives with a deeper insertion and now these sound better...more bass and better sound stage!

Edit: and with the olives the volume is louder, almost as loud as my NE-7s to me

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #462 of 2,281
Here are my initial impressions of the IE8 (which arrived at 2:30 today) vs. PA... Note: I was hesitant about posting my IE8 impressions as I know they need massive amounts of burn in...but I was very impressed after some burn in as you can read below.

IMG_2063.jpg

I am using comply T-400s for the IE8 and Shure olives for the PA. Didn't have any problems getting the IE8 out of the box (as some have) or finding all the tips and accessories. You really get a lot of tips. I tried most of the large ones, but not the weird looking double flange one. The stock included tips didn't do it for me.

The IE8s can't go as deep in my ears as the PAs since the housing is much bigger on the IE8s.

IE8 initially sounded like cr*p... Sounded slow, super mid-bass hump and didn't seem to go as low as either of my other IEMs. So I started the burn in, which I believe exists and know these probably need 100+ hours....

I put the PAs back in (now with the olives) and was blown away!

After 2 hours of burn in the IE8s sounded a little better, but not that much better (no surprise) so I kept up with the burning in.

Enjoyed the PAs while burning in, and getting wowed...with the olives, the bass I thought wasn't there is. Not to the quantity of the NE-7s, but close. And they beat the NE-7s everywhere else.

So, 8 hours or burn in for the IE8s and I thought...wow, the sound stage is AMAZING! These sound like my full sized headphones as far as sound stage. They still have the mid bass hump (but less than before), but the bass is deep and much faster.

The PAs are still much more balanced and detailed (by a good amount), but the airiness of the IE8s to me make them fun, even if the sound quality isn't great compared to the PAs at this point. I really hope the IE8s sound close to as good as the PAs when fully burned in.

For example, I love Christina Aguilera's voice, and on the PAs it is truly a beautiful thing. With the IE8s it is good, actually very good considering the mid-bass, but can't compare with the PA. But the openness of the musical presentation brings something that is missing in the PAs.

Yet on another favorite, Armin van Buuren - Imagine, the IE8s are so much more enjoyable to me than the PAs as they give air and life the PAs don't, even though the PAs instruments sound much more accurate, detailed, and less boomy. (Although there is a part of the song where the mid-bass is just too overpowering on the IE8s.)

My NE-7 has less mid-bass and is much smoother than the IE8s right now, so I have hope for the IE8s as the NE-7 didn't really hit their stride to me until 50+ hours of burn in (maybe closer to 100).

I will be burning the IE8s in when they are not in my ears and keep you guys updated if you are interested.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #463 of 2,281
I really would hope that the IE8s sound much better as they are over 2x the price (in the USA).

I am personally shocked the PAs are winning these comparisons...never would have thought that when I bought them. They just seemed like a really good value to me at under $150.

As someone said earlier, perhaps the PAs are really good analytical phones while the IE8s are the "king" fun phones?

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #464 of 2,281
UK people, there are now official retail channels. go to PA's website for details

i still ordered my PA's from that german website though...they're a bit cheaper...assuming nothing goes wrong during my first two years of ownership...but then all of the retailers are quite a long way away from me anyway, so might as well go for deutschland.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #465 of 2,281
Agree on the price difference being worth mentioning. The Senns (just as the W3s) should be a much better phone. But to me, the issue is more about sound preference. If you like both (fun/warm and analytical) then you need to own a pair of IEMs that cover both ends of the spectrum (Etys/PAs and Atrios, or IE7/8). If not, and you prefer analytical but not to Ety extremes, then there is no better expenditure than the PAs. At least based on early impressions. Haven't seen a single post yet of someone who disliked/sold off their PAs. That speaks volumes, even for a phone that's been available for only two months.

Any PA haters out there? If so, let's hear it.

And yes, the PAs, for what they are (and even at what they cost) deserve mention among top IEMs because they are unique in a sense. Ety-like detail and transparency, but with clean, effective bass (that doesn't need an amp to shine). I also own X10s, and prefer the PAs. The X10s were $350 at first, and many preferred them over other similarly-priced IEMs. Now, the X10s are down in price, of course, but still cost more than the PAs.

I love the PA sound, but find myself in the camp that needs both a warm IEM (W3s) and an analytical one (PA).

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really would hope that the IE8s sound much better as they are over 2x the price (in the USA).

I am personally shocked the PAs are winning these comparisons...never would have thought that when I bought them. They just seemed like a really good value to me at under $150.

As someone said earlier, perhaps the PAs are really good analytical phones while the IE8s are the "king" fun phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back