Phonak Audeo to close down?
Feb 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #46 of 152
Quote:
that's really too bad, the pfe 232 is truely outstanding.

Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
PFE 1st generation is great and the best of the line-up with the right tips/insertion. Engineering wise, the housing needed a longer nozzle. This model and it's variants are great, but Phonak dropped the ball with their last IEMs, 132 and 232. 

I don't see the point of the 132, way too high of a price from the 1st gen just to have a 3button control as they sound the same. 

232 is disgraceful in terms of price/performance though it sounds better with impedance, it's bass is simply muddy imo and bandwidth is no better than the 1st gen. Heck if you want bassy, you can get a W4 for less and it's simply better. 

Disgraceful? I find them better than the W4 and even my JH13. The bass is not muddy at all; it's well controlled. With grey filters it only has a mild v freq response.
Quote:

Exactly. And can someone please name me at least two universals that cost as much as the 232, and the price went up for it?

I have one example, the Audio-Technica ATH-CK10. Not the same price but after it was discontinued, the price went up as it had a certain sound sig that many people enjoyed. You can get them now for $425 at amazon. I almost bought one slightly used before they were discontinued for $140. As the stock dwindles, I suspect the same will happen with the 232 since it has that certain sound sig that people love.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #47 of 152
Why wouldn't they simply sell their design and IEM's to another company? Two award winning designed IEM's with loyal fan bases should be worth something.

in any case it is sad to see them getting out of the business.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #48 of 152
Quote:

I have one example, the Audio-Technica ATH-CK10. Not the same price but after it was discontinued, the price went up as it had a certain sound sig that many people enjoyed. You can get them now for $425 at amazon. I almost bought one slightly used before they were discontinued for $140. As the stock dwindles, I suspect the same will happen with the 232 since it has that certain sound sig that people love.

Yeah, but that's what's individual stores are deciding to charge for it; the price is not up because of market demand. I don't know what it originally costed, but an Internet search reveals being able to purchase some of these models for under $300 (I saw $220 on one site). 

I just can't see anyone paying $700 or more for a dual BA IEM, I don't care how scarse it is or how good it sounds. There are too many better choices in universals and customs in that price range (even better choices that are probably cheaper).

Plus, because of the price now of the 232, it seems to be a very "select" group who owns them instead of masses clamoring for it. I think you will get more people interested if the price is decreased rather than increased.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #49 of 152
Quote:
Why wouldn't they simply sell their design and IEM's to another company? Two award winning designed IEM's with loyal fan bases should be worth something.

in any case it is sad to see them getting out of the business.

Agree

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #50 of 152
Very, very sad news 
frown.gif
 The 012/022/112/122 are probably the best bang for buck IEM's, ever.

I just sold my 122 too (needed some funds and wasn't used much recently as I wasn't on the road as often), thinking of getting them again later... but hearing this news I should get the 112's again as soon as I can...

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #51 of 152
Quote:
Very, very sad news 
frown.gif
 The 012/022/112/122 are probably the best bang for buck IEM's, ever.

I just sold my 122 too (needed some funds and wasn't used much recently as I wasn't on the road as often), thinking of getting them again later... but hearing this news I should get the 112's again as soon as I can...

The 112 is available for £60 if you're a UKer.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #52 of 152
I have a sealed box sitting on my dresser and I'm torn as to whether I want to open them up and give them a final listen.  I think for classical, they are a really fantastic iem that puts you right in the hall for the performance.  Granted, I think they work really well across a wide range of music as well but for me, classical really stands out.  I still wish I could compare them to the W4 as I think they are also great but less fatiguing. It will be interesting to see how things play out.  I do think we'll start seeing the 012/022/112 and 122 out of stock, mainly due to their lower price, in locations before you'll see that happen with the 232's.  I could be very wrong, though. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #55 of 152
Amazon UK have dropped the PFE 232 down to £355.  This brings it below the Westone 4r by around £30.  

I think it's sad that Phonak are leaving the earphone trade.  I adore my PFE 232, great fit and probably the best sounding IEM I've owned over the years.  

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #56 of 152
Maybe this is a tangent, but what headphones would people recommend to people who are looking for something like the PFE 112/232?  They don't have to sound exactly like the them, but they would be headphones PFE fans would probably like or enjoy.

I've been out of touch with the headphone world for a while so some of the ones I'm listing are out of production.

Ortofon eq-7 - I remember feeling these reminded me of the PFE with more bass.
Westone ES5 - I felt PFE fans would really like these.

I think dfkt (I really miss his great reviews) mentioned the following.

Westone W4 - Sounds like the PFE with greys
EX1000 - A more fun sounding PFE

Any others?  If anybody says Etymotic ER4x series I'll kick them :p

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #59 of 152
Quote:

Yeah, but that's what's individual stores are deciding to charge for it; the price is not up because of market demand. I don't know what it originally costed, but an Internet search reveals being able to purchase some of these models for under $300 (I saw $220 on one site). 

I just can't see anyone paying $700 or more for a dual BA IEM, I don't care how scarse it is or how good it sounds. There are too many better choices in universals and customs in that price range (even better choices that are probably cheaper).

Plus, because of the price now of the 232, it seems to be a very "select" group who owns them instead of masses clamoring for it. I think you will get more people interested if the price is decreased rather than increased.

If that's what stores are charging and people are willing to pay that price, then it has met it's market price point and I haven't seen the price drop for new ones since it was discontinued. The ones I saw for under $300 were used; the new ones go for much more and I would expect the 232 to lower in price if stores were selling them used.

I couldn't see anyone paying $1300 for the AKG K3003 but people are buying them and haven't dropped in price. The 232 has favorable reviews against the K3003 and I've read that some people like the 232 better. That in itself could justify someone buying the 232 for more.

The CK10 has an established reputation for superb audio quality and now the 232 has also established a similar reputation. The curiosity of audiophiles must be satiated and when you have a group willing to buy when money is no object, the price will go up. The best time to buy them would be when certain stores want to clear their stock of phonak iems which would be sooner than later. There is also the used market, but I rarely see them go for sale used.

It would be nice to see them drop in price significantly however, I don't see that happening.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #60 of 152
Quote:
If that's what stores are charging and people are willing to pay that price, then it has met it's market price point and I haven't seen the price drop for new ones since it was discontinued. The ones I saw for under $300 were used; the new ones go for much more and I would expect the 232 to lower in price if stores were selling them used.

I couldn't see anyone paying $1300 for the AKG K3003 but people are buying them and haven't dropped in price. The 232 has favorable reviews against the K3003 and I've read that some people like the 232 better. That in itself could justify someone buying the 232 for more.

The CK10 has an established reputation for superb audio quality and now the 232 has also established a similar reputation. The curiosity of audiophiles must be satiated and when you have a group willing to buy when money is no object, the price will go up. The best time to buy them would be when certain stores want to clear their stock of phonak iems which would be sooner than later. There is also the used market, but I rarely see them go for sale used.

It would be nice to see them drop in price significantly however, I don't see that happening.

I think it will happen (for the 232 and the K3003). Give it time. Some of the same things were stated about the TF10 and IE8, and those prices dropped (even at the height of their popularity, then went up, then dropped again, etc.). But time will tell. And at this point, it's a very select (and small group) that owns both of these earphones. I don't see them selling like hotcakes. Most reviews I 've read are from people borrowing and listening to these IEMs while on tour, but not from a bunch of actual owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back