Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Apr 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2,566 of 3,305
Hi, 

A bit of cross-posting from another thread: 

Sourcing foam tips: I did not find, in a cursory search, any inventory of Phonak-labeled tips.  But I checked the Comply stores in a comple of countries.  I found at complyfoam.com that Phonak was listed (though not on the PDF, only on the web interface), and that PFE 232 was one of those listed (probably most PFEs use the same tips).  Price is better than at the defunct Audeoworld; you can order 3 or 5 pairs, light or black in color.  

PS: the reason I thought that the Phonaks might not use a standard size is because the folks at Audeoworld told me so.  They might have been wrong though.  

T-130 - Comply™ Foam Tips
http://www.complyfoam.com/products/T-130/

I had seen, IIRC, someone mention T-150 here, but can't find any mention of that anywhere in the interwebs including Comply's site. 

Regarding sibilance, I've done some tests in the last day.  I was able to tame the emphasis in the sibilance region and just above by two things: 

One is using Comply tips, the smallest size that still provides a seal, so that insertion is as deep as possible.  This seems to reduce a resonance both by damping material and by pushing it up in frequency (perhaps into a dip where it isn't a negative). 

The other is selection of amplifier (and source: my old Nano was splashy out of the box). I switched from the E7 and E17 to the Arrow 4G (in all cases, using the interal DACs of my iPhone 4s and iPad 3).  

The settings of the Arrow are very good at minimizing the v-shaped response to where it is a virtue (outside the head image) not a vice: I set all EQ flat, crossfade off... and set the gain at the "|" or middle setting.  This last bit is ultra-important.  This all-analog amp seems to use the amount of negative feedback as a way of setting gain, as many analog amps do. On the lowest gain setting, the feedback is high; this causes some artifacts: a bit of overshoot in the treble that makes it feel hard and emphasizes if not creates sibilance.  It also makes the tonal balance flatter, meaning relatively cold, tilting in the direction of analytical (but not so in absolute terms).  The medium gain/feedback does not induce an overshoot or emphasis in the treble, and also allows the midrange to bloom a bit, compensating for the 232's v-shape.  And, the highest gain just doesn't provide enough negative feedback to tame a different splash/brightness in the treble.  

So only the middle gain setting makes for natural treble and for natural midrange. Some (but probably not all) of this characterization applies to my high-impedance HD650 as well as the low-impedance (47ohm) PFE. This would perhaps be due to changes in output impedance of the Arrow with changes in gain, i.e. negative feedback.  

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2,567 of 3,305
I went ahead and wrote up a review on the PFE 121 I received from a fellow Head-Fier. It's a shame Phonak decided to discontinue the PFE line because the PFE 121 is pretty special.

Audeo PFE 121 Review - A Dying Breed

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,568 of 3,305
Nicely done!  

Just one thing: given my experience that the foam tips virtually solve the sibilance, I feel it isn't quite complete without such a comparison.  However, I suppose the point is moot given that they are OOP.  

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,569 of 3,305
Quote:
I went ahead and wrote up a review on the PFE 121 I received from a fellow Head-Fier. It's a shame Phonak decided to discontinue the PFE line because the PFE 121 is pretty special.

Audeo PFE 121 Review - A Dying Breed

Great review, 

I recently purchased a pair of  PFE 122 and I've been really pleased with them. 
There extremely comfortable and have a perfect fit to my ears which many in-ears have failed me in that department. 
It's a real shame to see a company like Phonak leaving the audio industry. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2,570 of 3,305
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm glad you enjoyed my review!
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2,571 of 3,305
I've been gone from this community for quite a while, but it is nice to see that phonak's are still getting attention!  My 112's are still my main earphones and have been since 2009 when they first came out (though they are my 3rd pair because of the plastic casing that would break on the earlier versions.. but their customer service would always replace them when that happened, no questions asked).  I was disappointed to hear that they are planning to phase out their audeo division, which is a shame because they make great products.  

Since I've been gone, I haven't been able to keep up with the competitors of the 112's.  Has their been any earphones that are comparable to them?  I am futureproofing myself once phonak stops selling them haha.  The only thing I have been able to read up on are the vsonic GR07 MKII's.  Are their any others in the ~$200 price range?

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #2,572 of 3,305
hey guys do u know a place where I can buy some phonak hybrid tips???  I really need some... :frowning2: there site s not working properly

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #2,574 of 3,305
Apr 15, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #2,575 of 3,305
You can get the foam tips from Comply.  Their website lists them as T-130.  I find them the best sounding of all types I have tried.  They do wear out, though, so I'm glad Comply sells them.  Look back in this thread (or was it other threads) for my post on where to find them. Or just go here: http://www.complyfoam.com/products/T-130/

If you use other PFE tips, well... they don't wear out.  Just don't lose them! 

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #2,576 of 3,305
I use Shure Olive tips on my PFE121 (they fit) 
I also just received my PFE232 (just cause there will be no more) and i will try and fit shure olive tips on em as well and see if that works.
I suppose the PFE tips are somewhere between 100 n 200 but 100 will fit atleast on the 121.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #2,577 of 3,305
Quote:
You can get the foam tips from Comply.  Their website lists them as T-130.  I find them the best sounding of all types I have tried.  They do wear out, though, so I'm glad Comply sells them.  Look back in this thread (or was it other threads) for my post on where to find them. Or just go here: http://www.complyfoam.com/products/T-130/

If you use other PFE tips, well... they don't wear out.  Just don't lose them! 

yeah... but I do need these tips for my W4..
ph34r.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,579 of 3,305
Quote:
They said it's shutting down in March, but I was able to order my audio filters on April 2nd still.  I think it says they will remain selling until stock is depleted.

If I'm not mistaken, I heard Earphone Solutions bought all of their remaining stock so the site's gone for good now.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #2,580 of 3,305
Current audeo site doesn't look like the original one owned by phonak

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back