Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Oct 3, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #2,536 of 3,305
After reading all those threads, I've decided to get a set of 3 colours... and therefore I've more than I need. I've decided that I really like the Grey ones. Pls PM me if you want to buy any filters. Hope its ok to say this on this thread.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2,537 of 3,305
New to head fi, and glad to have taken advice from the Audeo PFE thread as I got a pair of PFE 111 at a great price.
I absolutely love them so far, particularly with grey filters + slight bast boost in EasyQ.
Now my question: do these benefit from amping? I mostly listen to music on my laptop, and am considering a DAC/amp like the ibasso D-Zero if it brings a significant improvement on the already great sound quality.

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #2,538 of 3,305
God, what a difference a year and a few months can make.  When I first started listening to my Phonaks, I absolutely could not stand them and couldn't understand the hype.  This was coming from someone who thought the Sennheiser HD-280 pro sounded good.  No, they didn't sound "good" naturally, they only sounded "good" with liberal EQ adjustments.  For their price range they were still pretty decent sound wise, but my eyes have been opened since to what audio is actually supposed to sound like with either an IED or quality headphones.

It was suggested that my ear would have to adjust to the sound before I found the Phonaks to sound good, and I scoffed at the idea.  Actually, it has more to do with unlearning what I was used to than adjusting to something else--because after using these, as well as two other and somewhat distinctively different headphones--the Sennheisers just sound absolutely awful in every way.  They are also probably the most uncomfortable set ever.  I don't EQ anything anymore unless it's a 320k Mp3--which just gets BBE and "MP3 enhance", but no actual adjustments to the frequencies.

I really only use the Phonaks when I'm out and about with my Cowon, so I don't know how they compared to other IEDs, but I don't really need another pair right now.  At home, I'll still use headphones over these however.  It's mostly a comfort issue though.

The only real negative I have with these would be the ear clips that the wire is housed in.  They don't actually fit properly, and you have to pull the wire a bit lower than the end of the clip just so that you can actually rotate and place the drivers in your ear.  The silicone/rubber also has a tendancy to pull itself off every now and then.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #2,539 of 3,305
Sound: 

Most people don't try enough tips -- they have vast sonic differences.  I think this accounts for most disagreements about universal IEMs.  I tried many modified and homemade versions.  Changes to the material inside my ear cavity, and changes to the distance between the driver and my eardrum, both made huge differences.  Best sound was with treble-absorbing (not reflecting) material; silicones were no good, olives or otherwise.  Also, the shortest distance was flattest and most transparent in the treble.   In summary, I find the treble hyped up with anything but the foam plugs.  I also had to use the medium size otherwise they either hurt or didn't seal.  The only drawback is that the foam deteriorates with use, so I bought a couple bags of spares (directly from the manufacturer, Comply Foam M tips... I have not seem "M" anywhere else).  Worth it.  

Comfort: 

As above.  

Once I got the tips sorted out, I found that they were more neutral than the mid-forward and rather thick SE530 that I use.  They now match my modified HD650 pretty well.  No EQ needed with a Headstage Arrow 4G taking the line stage out of my iPad 3G or iPhone 4s (not quite as spacious and natural as the iPad).  

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #2,540 of 3,305
I am sure this has been talked about, but how much of a improvement is the 232 over the standard PFE with gray filters?

I am certainly not quite ready to blow €499 on an upgrade. Although it is nice that they give the the 022 with it.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,541 of 3,305
Hi everybody, i recently bought the pfe 022 in a combo from jaben, and it only comes with green filters
i feel like its a bit too compressed and muddy so i was thinking of trying the other filters

do you guys prefer the grey or black ones?
i listen to pop, rock and indie, no metal at all. i like to hear the vocals and a nice tight bass that isnt bloated

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #2,542 of 3,305
Quote:
Hi everybody, i recently bought the pfe 022 in a combo from jaben, and it only comes with green filters
i feel like its a bit too compressed and muddy so i was thinking of trying the other filters

do you guys prefer the grey or black ones?
i listen to pop, rock and indie, no metal at all. i like to hear the vocals and a nice tight bass that isnt bloated

Your genres would do better with black filters, but your preferences say grey.  I'd go grey.  

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #2,543 of 3,305
Hmmmmm I'm contemplating getting a pair of 122's but I have no idea how bass light these are. Never used a BA driven phone before. Should I get these and then buy a pack of green filters to satisfy my bass needs? Also how is the soundstage on these? I'm curious as to how much of a step up these are compared to the Brainwavz M2's that I'm using

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,544 of 3,305
Quote:
Hmmmmm I'm contemplating getting a pair of 122's but I have no idea how bass light these are. Never used a BA driven phone before. Should I get these and then buy a pack of green filters to satisfy my bass needs? Also how is the soundstage on these? I'm curious as to how much of a step up these are compared to the Brainwavz M2's that I'm using

If you are set on the 122s, my suggestion is to get them, test both the black and grey filters.  If neither suit you, get the green.  See if that does it, if not, return the 122s (you probably won't be able to return the filters though).  

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,545 of 3,305
The 112 / 122 are not "bass light". Rather the green filtered bass edition is "bass boosted". Difference in emphasis
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #2,546 of 3,305
Hmmmm I see, I may splash the cash on these then. I see the perfect bass for £80 whilst the 122 are £120. Would it be cheaper to buy the perfect bass, then buy the additional filters from Phonak, or would I be better off just going with the 122's to begin with. Filters cost £9 (Pack of 8) so both grey and blacks with the 022's would cost me £100, not sure what else the 122's are packaged with

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #2,547 of 3,305
As you are down south, for the cost of a return ticket and a couple hours SW, email hifiheadphones and ask if they have any Phonaks in stock for demoing. They may also throw alternatives your way whilst you are there. Obviously not right now with the weather :p To them I sent you if you do go (last time I was there I left with both the PFE 232 and SE535)

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #2,548 of 3,305
As you are down south, for the cost of a return ticket and a couple hours SW, email hifiheadphones and ask if they have any Phonaks in stock for demoing. They may also throw alternatives your way whilst you are there. Obviously not right now with the weather :p To them I sent you if you do go (last time I was there I left with both the PFE 232 and SE535)

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #2,549 of 3,305
Thats not a bad idea, definitely not in this weather though haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back