Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Mar 19, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #781 of 3,305
What full-sized headphones <150usd are comparable in sound sig and clarity as the pfes? senn hd280? audio technica a700? grado sr125i? I don't need a lot of bass quantity, about as much as grey filter pfes, but need to be as clear as possible, esp high and mid.

just wondering, not seriously considering to buy, so don't want to start a new thread

edit: will the ibasso t4 increase clarity and be a better upgrade?

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #783 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by pi3guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What full-sized headphones <150usd are comparable in sound sig and clarity as the pfes? senn hd280? audio technica a700? grado sr125i? I don't need a lot of bass quantity, about as much as grey filter pfes, but need to be as clear as possible, esp high and mid.

just wondering, not seriously considering to buy, so don't want to start a new thread

@ pi3guy: None that I'm aware of unless there is a Stax around that's that cheap.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #784 of 3,305
many people say that full-size are have higher quality for price than iems though, so shouldn't there exist an equal price full-size better than pfe? don't get me wrong, I am enthralled with my pfe's right now, but just wondering about possible upgrades way down the line.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #785 of 3,305
Headphones have a bigger soundstage and usually just sound bigger and more spacious.

At $150 though, there isn't anything that I'm aware of that matches the overall sound.

Does anyone else have any idea?

The problem is, it's hard to find a $150 headphone that is fast, extended, neutral and engaging. Even $300 headphones lack something or other.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #786 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regime|Life /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my FiiO E5 last week and these IEM's REALLY kick ASS now, I'm so impressed with these.

Got my FiiO E5 a few days ago and my LOD cable - grey filters, medium silicone and E5 bass boost, they sound even better!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #787 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by westrella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I do like the PFE's sound quality unamped, I'm thinking about adding the E5 to my workout rig too. I like the ultraportability of the Clip, but I'm not quite sure how to keep the E5 & the Clip together without having to put them in an armband. I usually keep the Clip attached to the front neck of my shirt while working out. Maybe the armband thing would be better to protect the rig anyway.

I took a little bit of a different approach to the Clip/E5 mating ritual than dfkt.

I got a Velcro cable wrap and punched a hole through it. I removed the clip from the Sansa and worked the little nub of the Sansa's actual clip through the hole in the Velcro. Then, I wrapped the Velcro around the clip of the E5 and routed the interconnect between the clip of the E5 and the E5 (the pressure of the Velcro prevents the interconnect from moving easily, somewhat protecting the jacks from getting tweaked.) Then I reattached the Sansa to the piece of Velcro so that the USB inputs of both pieces of hardware are on the same side.

This way, the clip on the Sansa is fully functional & I can easily remove the player and swap it out with my other Sansa Clip. Additionally, if I want to use the E5 with another player, I just remove the Sansa, and the E5 retains a low profile.

Now for credit where credit is due...
Dfkt's "beater rig" photos inspired this particular mating ritual.
Now for some words of wisdom...
One man's beater rig is another man's prize.
wink_face.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #788 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubafish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took a little bit of a different approach to the Clip/E5 mating ritual than dfkt.

I got a Velcro cable wrap and punched a hole through it. I removed the clip from the Sansa and worked the little nub of through the hole in the Velcro. Then, I wrapped the Velcro around the clip of the E5 and routed the interconnect between the clip of the E5 and the E5 (the pressure of the Velcro prevents the interconnect from moving easily, somewhat protecting the jacks from getting tweaked.) Then I reattached the Sansa to the piece of Velcro so that the USB inputs of both pieces of hardware are on the same side.
img.php

This way, the clip on the Sansa is fully functional & I can easily remove the player and swap it out with my other Sansa Clip. Additionally, if I want to use the E5 with another player, I just remove the Sansa, and the E5 retains a low profile.

Now for credit where credit is due...
wink_face.gif

Your photo doesn't show up in head-fi, and when I right clicked to open it in a new window it took me to an adult site. I closed the window and tried again, then I got your photo. That imageavenue picture host is being sneaky. Watch out.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #789 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubafish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

Heheh.. I didn't mean that in a condescending way. Rather, this rig can take a beating, unlike bigger/heavier/flimsier gear.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #790 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by pi3guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

edit: will the ibasso t4 increase clarity and be a better upgrade?

The Grado sound sig. is closer to the PFE with gray filters than any Sennheiser I've heard. I never had the oportunity to hear audio technica.

EDIT: I've upgraded the 125 with the bigger grado cushion's it improves the sound. But I have to compare them to the PFE, depending on the source the PFE sound more clear...I couldnt beleave my ears lol...but the bigger phones move more air.

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #791 of 3,305
^ I can see that. I was going to suggest the SR60 as well. It is not as competent in ways but has that Grado fun which the PFEs also have.

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #792 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I can see that. I was going to suggest the SR60 as well. It is not as competent in ways but has that Grado fun which the PFEs also have.

Yes. I was re-editing when you posted
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #793 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your photo doesn't show up in head-fi, and when I right clicked to open it in a new window it took me to an adult site. I closed the window and tried again, then I got your photo. That imageavenue picture host is being sneaky. Watch out.

Sorry about that, switched hosts and all is well.
I can only imagine.
confused_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heheh.. I didn't mean that in a condescending way. Rather, this rig can take a beating, unlike bigger/heavier/flimsier gear.
wink.gif

I couldn't imagine taking my A3 to the gym!
That would be a workout in and of itself.

Good people.
beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #794 of 3,305
So the Fed ex man just came with my Phonaks! These are amazingly comfortable (so much better than my etymotic er6i; you really do forget that they're in, and with the medium silicon tips, I got a seal as soon as popped them in. Basically, I can't stop smiling! I think they're warmer and bassier than the ER6i but they do lose a little clarity (particularly on female vocals?). I want to put the er6i's in to compare but I so abhor the idea of putting the triflanges back into my ears that I don't think I will...ever. The Phonaks are smooth, light and easy. Very impressive.

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #795 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Team Phonak, I'M BACK BABY! I got a little extra dough & immediately purchased a replacement pair of the PFE's to fill in for the previous pair that died out on me. Got an E5 amp to go with it this time. A teary reunion it will be indeed.
icon10.gif

Welcome back dude!
BTW, how does the PFE compare with ER4P? If you've written a comparison between them, can you point me to the thread? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back