Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Feb 3, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #181 of 3,305
i_don't_know

evil_smiley.gif
ph34r.gif
eek.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #182 of 3,305
Now 667.

And yeah, I'm sort of keyboard happy, lol.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #183 of 3,305
I've only had the PFEs for a day but they are truly amazing, bouncing between the black and grey filters for now until i settle on one that I like the best, currently the black ones.

Also wanted to thank tstarn06 for giving me the accurate and helpful info that lead to one of the greatest purchases everrr

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #184 of 3,305
Team Phonak 26 members strong.
smile.gif

It would be helpful to have comments from owners who decide to sell or return. I just can't see many people NOT liking these considering the price and ability to change sound sig from filters.

Comfort seems to be good from comments so far, appearance seems to be fine( I really like the way they look) and what's not to like about the sound...unless you like overdone bloated bass with recessed mids and rolled-off treble.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #185 of 3,305
I did recall one person who sent them backm, oakcx or something like that. He preferred his ER4P. In fact, he created a thread, but it's been quiet lately.

I know that Average_Joe says he is finding a wider and wider gap between his PFEs and the IE8s, which I can understand, though Chi2 has the IE8s and doesn't see (hear?) it yet. Needs more IE8 burn-in?

What I don't get is people disliking/putting down the PFEs (and people who seem to like them, a lot), using the FoTM/fanboy as a perjorative term for them and us. Not sure what to say. If anyone who feels that way would buy them and try them, that would be interesting. No? They always have the 14-day MBG.

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #186 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided not to buy a PFE for now until they have established an "easier" means to sell to and support international customers (beside US and Canada).

I am convinced that the PFE is indeed a fine IEM. But everytime I plugged in my highly modded ER-4S, I was made to rethink my choice as I could not find any annoying fault in the way it is now.

So instead I am heading the Stax path....just gotta have that electrostatic sting on me ears
tongue.gif

Let us know how the Stax thing works out. You mean the STAX S-001MK2?

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #187 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did recall one person who sent them backm, oakcx or something like that. He preferred his ER4P. In fact, he created a thread, but it's been quiet lately.

I know that Average_Joe says he is finding a wider and wider gap between his PFEs and the IE8s, which I can understand, though Chi2 has the IE8s and doesn't see (hear?) it yet. Needs more IE8 burn-in?

What I don't get is people disliking/putting down the PFEs (and people who seem to like them, a lot), using the FoTM/fanboy as a perjorative term for them and us. Not sure what to say. If anyone who feels that way would buy them and try them, that would be interesting. No? They always have the 14-day MBG.

You are correct, I did forget about that topic (here).

It was unfortunate that he needed to sell the ER4P in the first place. I've enjoyed my comparisons between PFE & ER4. I believe it's very difficult to make honest comparisons without having both to listen to side by side. I don't think auditory memory can support an honest judgment in this situation..at least not for me. I'm not criticizing that member for his final decision and I can relate to his preference.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #188 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I must admit, I am a bit concerned that they are just a FOTM soon to be long forgotten. I'm naturally weary though; the last time I got caught up in FOTM hype was the V-Moda Vibes and they were very dissapointing. I always had suspicions about V-Moda as a company though. I know Phonak are an outstanding hearing aid manufacturer so I'll be more likely to pull the trigger on these.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #189 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by fromthelane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must admit, I am a bit concerned that they are just a FOTM soon to be long forgotten. I'm naturally weary though; the last time I got caught up in FOTM hype was the V-Moda Vibes and they were very dissapointing. I always had suspicions about V-Moda as a company though. I know Phonak are an outstanding hearing aid manufacturer so I'll be more likely to pull the trigger on these.

You know, I've owned UM1, er6i, SA6, ER4P, RE2, OK3, PK1, PK2, Atrio, C751, C551, and some IEMs can't even remember. Oh, and the V-Moda Vibe. And to be honest, the only one that was and is a FoTM is the Vibe. I really disliked the UM1 and plenty of people love them. Same with the Denon 751. But I would like to hear about another FoTM phone, other than the Vibe, that really sucked as it turned out. Most of those phones I bought still exist, and thrive. There must be some other stinkers. Someone list them.

I think the phrase is meaningless to be honest. So what if people get excited about a new, promising product?

Funny story, I sold my Vibes to a guy in Florida, and they got "lost in the mail." Fitting, I guess.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #190 of 3,305
One thing that is fact is the ER4 has been in production for 18 years!. It is still very popular...and for my taste, the PFE beats it with an 80/20 % preference with my reference recordings.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #191 of 3,305
In the words of Monte Burns, eggcellent point.

And after more listening, I am back in the black, black filters that is. I am sold on the medium silicones and black filters, though I will use Complys or olives now and again for better iso.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #193 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Team Phonak 26 members strong.
smile.gif

It would be helpful to have comments from owners who decide to sell or return. I just can't see many people NOT liking these considering the price and ability to change sound sig from filters.

OK, maybe 25 members, I returned mine. It was really a slippery slope for me, as I was teetering on keeping them until, well you will have to see below
tongue_smile.gif
I will bullet my (many) steps to returning my PFE (a lot of A/B testing).
- I got the PFEs, listened to them with the grey filter, and switched to the black filter...ahhhh, that sounds so very sweet
- I first thought the IE8 didn't compare (but knew they needed burn in), as the PFEs were awesome
- Day 2 - the IE8s soundstage opened up, but they still sounded muddy with recessed highs, and holy moly, what a mid-bass hump
- I primarily used the PFEs, as they sounded so good, I couldn't believe it and thought for sure I was going to sell my IE8s
- After about 100 hours of burn in the IE8s started to have almost the same detail as the PFE, but the treble was still recessed and the mid-bass hump, while better, was still prominent
- After about 170 hours of burn in the IE8s detail surpassed the PFEs, but the mid-bass hump was still there. The treble was coming out more.
- After 200 hours of burn in the IE8s treble was out more, pretty close to the PFE (but not there) and the mid-bass hump was now just a warm sound sig
- Now the IE8s had more treble and bass detail, wider soundstage, and more fun presentation. But I was thinking of keeping them as an analytical IEM, and I did like their sound, but of course not as much as the IE8. But they had better balance across the spectrum than the IE8s.
Note: I have kept my IE8 burning in as I am also burning in my Icon Mobile, so 24/7 of burn in
- Then something bad happened, oarnura posted this:
"X2. The black filters kill some of the clarity and sound stage for me. You really should do a comparison with the Grey filters. But then again you are comparing what you like in each so there really isn't much of a point to that."
- I tried the grey filters and initially didn't like them due to the balance swaying toward the mids/treble.
- I critically listened and A/Bed them and wow, they were as detailed as the IE8 and the soundstage really opened up also. The bass was lacking and switching between them the PFE sounded hollow
- So I EQed them. They sound better...or do they. My Fuze couldn't get the bass to a comparative level as the black filters. I could on my computer, but what is causing that bass distortion on some songs? Was it the EQ, the Icon Mobile, or the PFE?
- I tweaked and tweaked until I got the best sound I think I could get. Then A/Bing them (and turning off/on the DSP) they still didn't sound as good as my IE8s. The bass was deep, detailed, and reverberant, but it just didn't sound right.
- So, on my Fuze and through my computer the IE8s sounded better than EQed with the grey filters.
- Back to the black filters...where did the detail go? This is awful. Good balance, but man, the treble detail seems gone to me.
- Back to the grey filters...again, the PFEs didn't sound as natural, enjoyable, full, fun, exciting, engaging. The IE8s are engaging, what a musical presentation. When I put them in I want to keep listening with a smile on my face (with my FLAC files and good recordings of course) and get bummed when I have to turn them off. Another phone call, maybe voice mail can take this one
wink.gif

- So last Friday I called AudeoWorld PFE and talked to Megan and told her I was thinking of returning them. She told me I could call her back Monday if that was my decision.
- Over the weekend I compared the NE-7 (my backup/workout IEM) to the PFE. Man, the NE-7 sounds bad (comparatively). I did more A/Bing with the IE8, and the more I did, the more the IE8 pulled away from the PFE.
- Monday I called AudeoWorld and shipped my PFEs back.

Moral of the story...if you like your PFEs, don't listen to well burned in IE8s
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I asked Megan if anyone else returned them, and she said of the 200 or so they have sold, 3 have been returned.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #194 of 3,305
Thanks for your impressions. Puts things back into perspective that not everything is perfect for everyone
tongue.gif
Having detailed contrasting impressions are always good for those who want a better idea of how it sounds.

For me, I can't see myself spending $250+ on a universal unless its a huge step up, if I were to spend that much I'd probably end up getting customs, of which, I'm waiting for impressions on the ES3X
tongue.gif

And only 3 returns out of 200+, that's quite the ratio.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #195 of 3,305
I'm in need of a new set of IEM's, and I wanna ditch the ol' crappy stock Apple ones that came with my iPod. I will NOT use a amplifier.

After much research on this website, and countless others, I have narrowed down my search to a choice of 3 IEM's, and I can only afford one!

1st: Atrio M5/M8's...I heard these were good all around, but what worries me is the size of the buds themselves, and how bulky or funny looking they will be in my ears, and EXACTLY how hard is it to get these into your ears? Is it really that hard??? Future Sonics Atrio M5 / M8 Review

2nd: Phonak Audeo PFE's...I like just about everything I hear about these, except for the weird fit in your ear can hurt a bit if they don't fit your ear perfect and can almost "dig" into parts of your ear cause their more blocky than round. Phonak Audéo PFE (Perfect Fit Earphone) Review

3rd: Jays Q-JAYS...I was originally looking at these because people said the bass and mid was better than the ER4's, but not quite as good of treble. It also intrigued me that they are small like the hf5's. Again, problems with these are I've heard is microphonic cables, and can be more sibilant than Ety's. JAYS q-JAYS Review

I mainly listen to a lot of rock, acoustic, and some R & B: Metallica, Airborne Toxic Event, Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, 30 Seconds to Mars, the Beatles, Less Than Jake, Linkin Park, Sublime, etc.

I want these to be able to be used for everyday use, from sitting at home, to walking around, to exercising!

So...after my research, that's kinda what it boils down to for me. Any suggestions which way I should go? Please?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back