Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jan 14, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #3,138 of 3,305
How are the brainwavz b400? I've heard some questions/issues with the fit and sound of these as well. Seems pretty hard to find something around the $
I tried some IEMs, but I haven't found any yet that were of comparable quality and sound signature as the PFE.
My next try will be the Brainwavz B100... Maybe someone here had already a chance to compare them?
300-400 range

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #3,140 of 3,305
I got the B100 today.
My first impression: Unbelievable!
I tried so many In-Ears up to the price range of 200$ last year to find one which could replace the PFE 112 (because I am gradually running out of replacement parts and additionally always found the frequent and abrupt need to change the filters very annoying), but none of them could compete with the Phonaks.
And now this... I would describe the B100 as an exact clone of the PFE with black Filters, acoustically and even fitting-wise! They sound the same and feel the same, even the tips have the same size, so I can use the tips I already have for the Phonak. I can't describe how happy I am that I finally found a replacement for the Phonaks I loved and used for such a long time (about 8 years now). And I will never have to change filters again!
So, the next step? I think I will buy at least one more pair of the B100 as a reserve, as the production period for IEMs is usually quite short and I don't want to start the tedious hunt for a replacement again if the B100 maybe become defective in 2 years.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #3,141 of 3,305
Campfire Orion is better than a PFE in every sonic way. If you like accuracy with the correct amount of bass quantity it's great. With the PFE, you had to choose between detail (Grey filter) and proper weight to the sound (Black filter). Orion has both.
I used the PFE 232 which only had grey filters, no black. How does the Campfire orion compare to brainwavz stuff? also how is the comfort, are they comfortable with long usage?

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #3,142 of 3,305
I haven't used the 232 so can't say in regards to that IEM. The orion is about as tonally correct as things get. Neutral in the natural way, not analytical cool way like a 122 with grey but it still have that sort of detail. I personally consider it a better device that the b100 or b200 and also the 112/122 but it's also more expensive and may not be warm/weighty enough for 232 user. I haven't heard the b400. Something like an Inear Sd-2 may be a good replacement.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #3,145 of 3,305
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #3,146 of 3,305
The ER4 and PFE232 are completely opposite signatures. The 232 have a pretty strong V-shaped signature, even with the grey filters, the black and green just make it more substantial. The ER4 and 1XX series with the grey actually are comparable though.
Hi guys, so if I'm coming from the Ety Hf3, then the 232 will sound 'fun'? I'm currently auditioning the UE500s and although they obviously go lower than the Etys I seem to keep returning to the Hf3 for the sheer speed of them (although I do find them lacking in the bottom end). I'm also a fan of the Sennheiser sound (own the HD600 and the HD650, but lately Ive been smitten by a pair of modded HD800), which I preferred when I auditioned either the Beyer DT990pro or the HiFiMan HE500.

Generally looking for a substantial upgrade to the Hf3; and right now my options are
  1. a second hand pair of Ety ER4s at a genuinely good price,
  2. a second hand pair of PFE232 at a fair but not easy to gamble with price,
  3. chill and save up for big $ iems such as the InEars (often mentioned in this thread).
Any opinions?

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,147 of 3,305
Hi guys, so if I'm coming from the Ety Hf3, then the 232 will sound 'fun'? I'm currently auditioning the UE500s and although they obviously go lower than the Etys I seem to keep returning to the Hf3 for the sheer speed of them (although I do find them lacking in the bottom end). I'm also a fan of the Sennheiser sound (own the HD600 and the HD650, but lately Ive been smitten by a pair of modded HD800), which I preferred when I auditioned either the Beyer DT990pro or the HiFiMan HE500.

Generally looking for a substantial upgrade to the Hf3; and right now my options are
  1. a second hand pair of Ety ER4s at a genuinely good price,
  2. a second hand pair of PFE232 at a fair but not easy to gamble with price,
  3. chill and save up for big $ iems such as the InEars (often mentioned in this thread).
Any opinions?

Besides the HFX and PFE232, I really haven’t heard any other headphones in the list. I have heard the HiFiMan HE-560, 400i, and 400s though. Each of which seem somewhat slower than the HF5.

But even then, the PFE will be even slower by comparison and actually be boomy in comparison. That and the difficulty of finding replacement cables for it, I can’t recommend them today. That’s not to say they aren’t a good IEM, they are great with a unique sound done properly. But they are a classic V-shape when it comes to sound signature with a dip in the lower midrange.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #3,148 of 3,305
Besides the HFX and PFE232, I really haven’t heard any other headphones in the list. I have heard the HiFiMan HE-560, 400i, and 400s though. Each of which seem somewhat slower than the HF5.
HI @tinyman392, thanks for the reply!

Same as with the PFE012/122 vs. PFE232 debate, IMO the Etymotic Hf3/5 (in my case with custom silicon tips) perform ridiculously well out of a great source. Both out of my Mojo as well as out a friend's Fiio X5 gen 3 the Etys create a remarkable stage with exceptional transient speed and clarity. That being said, they just don't go low at all—e.g. compared to the UE500s; on the opposite side though, while the UE500s give out a good thump and great separation, they may sound a bit condensed compared to the Etys.

All these strengths and limitations of the Hf3 made me crave to look for an upgrade path; but it looks like there are very little options outside of big $$$ IEMs with genuine mastering/pro pedigree such as the InEar.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #3,149 of 3,305
HI @tinyman392, thanks for the reply!

Same as with the PFE012/122 vs. PFE232 debate, IMO the Etymotic Hf3/5 (in my case with custom silicon tips) perform ridiculously well out of a great source. Both out of my Mojo as well as out a friend's Fiio X5 gen 3 the Etys create a remarkable stage with exceptional transient speed and clarity. That being said, they just don't go low at all—e.g. compared to the UE500s; on the opposite side though, while the UE500s give out a good thump and great separation, they may sound a bit condensed compared to the Etys.

All these strengths and limitations of the Hf3 made me crave to look for an upgrade path; but it looks like there are very little options outside of big $$$ IEMs with genuine mastering/pro pedigree such as the InEar.

I haven't heard them, but there is the ER3/ER4 XR series which has subtly boosted bass, it may be closer to what you're looking for.

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #3,150 of 3,305
Hi everyone,
I have two packs of new and sealed grey filters that I am not going to use .I am selling them in addition to a pair of pfe022 earphones. Think they have black filters installed and only have a pair of small ear tips. If interested please pm me. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back