Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
May 2, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #3,151 of 3,305
i owned pfe 012's but lost them, decided to grab some pfe's again (this time 112's) for like 40 euros with grey and black filters(prev had 1 set of green filters with pinhole mod).

now my problem with these in ears are the fact that like every 3 wear sessions the filters sound muffled, this is insanely annoying and i don't know if there is a way to prevent this.

May 2, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #3,152 of 3,305
That problem is known with the PFEs and is caused by dust or moisture which clogs the filters. Sometimes I could use a pair of filters for months, sometimes only for 2-3 weeks. I used my Phonaks for about 8 years and loved them on principle, but the problem with the filters was really annoying, and as it's now nearly impossible to get replacement filters, the time's up for the Phonaks. Now I use Brainwavz B100 and I'm excited, they sound even better than the Phonaks, cost less, and I never have to change clogged filters again.

May 24, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #3,155 of 3,305
I got PFE 232s a while back, and I do like them plenty! Extremely clean with unusually energetic upper treble.

The issue is mainly that, since the ones I got were fairly old and locked away, the stock cables have dried out, cracking the insulation at the connector.

Is there any source for replacement cables? I have made an adapter into MMCX with the other cable that didn't crack in that area, but I wish to have the stock cable on hand for reference's sake.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #3,156 of 3,305
Still to this day phonak audeo pfe 232 amazed me with their natural beautiful sound unfortunately just like hatlsmyfriend my cables have also dried out , I just wanted to ask this thread if anyone has heard phonak audeo pfe 232 vs final fi-ba-ss, and if they have, maybe give me some insight into their differences in their respective sounds (more detail from you folks the better), my music mainly includes vocals, hip pop, classical,some acoustic and also lofi house, thanks any insights will be appreciated

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #3,157 of 3,305
My 012 are finally falling apart after 8 years of service... I've used the phonaks for 10 years in total, I think that says a lot about their quality :astonished:
I think I will get some cheap RE400 until I make up my mind for a fancy replacement like the Inears (or even more pricey). I would have kept using the phonaks otherwise, they sound great with no filter (EQed). I have a great souvenir of the RE0 so I think it's a safe bet even though all the options mentioned in the previous pages look tempting as well.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #3,158 of 3,305
Hello,
Any experienced recommendations for replacement tips? The stock L ones are a perfect fit but I lost one a while ago. I have the option to buy a pack of 3 pairs but it's expensive and I'm wondering if I should try something else (no foam though).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #3,160 of 3,305
Just got the RE400 and right after a quick listening, you can tell it's a very valid replacement for the PFE 012 :) More so than the $1,500 high-end alternatives that I heard from Earsonics or Westone. Balance is very similar to the way I EQed the Phonaks, aka flat bass-mids line with smooth treble (similar to the black filters as well with more prominent upper mids). That medium has a sweet tone for vocals. And sub-bass is definitely here, no need for break-in! I'm using those bad boys with some trap music right now, the bass is on the Phonak level if not better. That was my biggest concern to be honest and a huge improvement over the RE0. I assume the Inear SD2 would make for an even better replacement if they have a similar balance (from what I read). But I like the fact that RE400 are so tiny, that's the thing that made me reluctant to replace the Phonaks in the first place, their conveniency/discretion when you're commuting or doing sport.

Anyway, this is a terrific value. It's great to see all manufacturers haven't gone completely wild the high end race and still propose decent value for money (remember $1,500 univeral iems didn't exist when the Phonaks were launched).

Quick update: I switched back to the Phonaks for a quick comparison and armatures still have the edge, technically speaking. They just faster and more transparent... the RE400 do have that unique presence though, and such a perfect balance. They make the Phonaks sound hollow somehow (not in a bad way). It's just a different listening experience in the end.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,161 of 3,305
Considering very few iems measure as good as phonak I want to keep my pair as long as possible!
Build quality is the problem.
Maybe I'm gonna mod my old pair.
Change the housing, make the cable detachable.

Sep 14, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #3,162 of 3,305
Mine are starting falling apart after 8 years of intensive daily use. Not so bad :) But everything is breaking... The jack connector, the cable jointure, even the cable itself... I agree that those sweet armature drivers would deserve a second life. The casing itself is pretty high quality, contrary to the launch version which had very poor plastic.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #3,163 of 3,305
I picked up a used but pretty much brand new pair of 232’s a couple months ago. They are actually very good and would definitely complete with the w4 back in the day. And compete in today’s market with some much more expensive iems out there now and double the original price. From what I can remember of the w60 the 232’s definitely keep up to them.maybe a little smaller soundstage but that’s ok. But once I put in my fostex te100’s there is no comparison but that’s asking a little too much considering the price difference lol. The 232 are also very comfy to wear for long sessions. The only grip I have and really is not a huge problem would be that they are rather power hungry. I’m using the grey filters and wish that the vocals were maybe not so pushed back but they are still very clear and nothing is clouding them. Other then that these are great. I paid a great price for them and are really liking them. Being that they are priority cables I’m think that it will be hard or if not impossible to find replacement cables for these. I would really like a 2.5 balanced cable if I could find one but I doubt it. Would I have paid around another 100-200 more for these over the w4 or the 535 back in the day? Probably not. Would I have paid that extra money back then knowing more about more expensive IEMS around these days?? ABSOLUTELY!!! Great little IEM!

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #3,164 of 3,305
I was able to clean the filters of my 012 with some powerful kitchen cleaning product and I can confirm that the RE400 are a very serious alternative (dare I say upgrade?) to the black filters phonaks, with a very similar presentation and more prominent/consistent midrange. The phonaks still hold up very well overall.

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #3,165 of 3,305
I was able to clean the filters of my 012 with some powerful kitchen cleaning product and I can confirm that the RE400 are a very serious alternative (dare I say upgrade?) to the black filters phonaks, with a very similar presentation and more prominent/consistent midrange. The phonaks still hold up very well overall.
Have you paired your PFE012 with the grey filters and Comply foam? My PFE012 with this pairing sounds way better than my RE400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back