Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Sep 5, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #3,077 of 3,308
Just got etymotic hf5 use them for week and now back listening to phonak, I prefer the phonak by far, still love them even after two years especially the bass, they just sound right and "soundstage" phonak are seem best at convey space and realistic sound. maybe I'll get another set for a backup haha.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #3,078 of 3,308
Just got etymotic hf5 use them for week and now back listening to phonak, I prefer the phonak by far, still love them even after two years especially the bass, they just sound right and "soundstage" phonak are seem best at convey space and realistic sound. maybe I'll get another set for a backup haha.

where to find backup :frowning2:

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #3,080 of 3,308
Beware think twice before recabling them! just like what I did, I think there is actually resistors or some thing on the splitter (which I destroy because how impulsive and stupid I am) now my pair sound louder yet duller! damn it!

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #3,081 of 3,308
That's why we are always investigating every new earphones cable, before recabling.
We recabled a lot of phonaks when they were popular. Truly great earphones!
There are 27 ohm resistors installed inside phonak's cable, if my memory serves me right. They are not rare or specific. You can buy pair in the nearest parts store.
I would not advise to use drivers without this filtering - sound is cheap and drivers will go out of order shortly.

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #3,083 of 3,308
That's why we are always investigating every new earphones cable, before recabling.
There are 27 ohm resistors installed inside phonak's cable, if my memory serves me right. They are not rare or specific. You can buy pair in the nearest parts store.
I would not advise to use drivers without this filtering - sound is cheap and drivers will go out of order shortly.

The cable on my PFE just died, so I was thinking bout doing the recable thing. Is it possible to scavenge the resistors from the original cable?
Not sure if the cable is the only issue with the earphones, so I'm not sure how much time/money to invest into them

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #3,084 of 3,308
There were 2 versions of splitter it PFE. Earlier consists ot two parts - you can disclose it into 2 parts and resolder resistors. Later revision splitter is made with extrusion, it cannot be disassembled.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,085 of 3,308
There were 2 versions of splitter it PFE. Earlier consists ot two parts - you can disclose it into 2 parts and resolder resistors. Later revision splitter is made with extrusion, it cannot be disassembled.

Mine looks to be solid plastic. I thought there was a seam, but it's probably just a moulding line.

After cracking the PFE open and seeing how small the driver actually is, I don't know if a recable something I'll be able to manage with my squinty eyes and shaky hands
wink.gif
 Almost looks like it would be easier to mount a mmcx to the existing wires in the housing than try to solder directly to the driver

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #3,087 of 3,308

Thanks for the info. I'll try it with resistors.

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #3,088 of 3,308
Mine looks to be solid plastic. I thought there was a seam, but it's probably just a moulding line.

After cracking the PFE open and seeing how small the driver actually is, I don't know if a recable something I'll be able to manage with my squinty eyes and shaky hands:wink:  Almost looks like it would be easier to mount a mmcx to the existing wires in the housing than try to solder directly to the driver

Yeah I'm afraid to resolder it so I just twist it together,it works as long you make good holder at the tip of cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back