Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Feb 21, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #301 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like you aren't used to real articulate bass. Most people think a booming mid -bass in the 100-220 Hz is good bass.

Companies like Bose know this very well and create an artificial bump in frequency response.

The PFE is very flat and accurate in bass response and matches my $2200 speakers and 12" Servo based sub's bass response in accuracy.

The cluttered bass is probably your source distorting horribly at max gain.

Much truth in this reply.
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #302 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its cheaper buying from Phonak, the T-130s i mean. Its a few bucks more expensive at Comply + you have to pay more for shipping.

You are right. I got mine from Phonak, but forgot until I checked email receipts. I got them with the two packs of filters (one of each color). Free shipping in fact, and only $13 for the Complys.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #303 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the mic version in the normal version box, even when I asked for and bought the normal version.

Nothing good like that ever happens to me...

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #304 of 3,305
Just got done listening to 'I Walk The Line' by Hot Rod Lincoln on the Phonaks...

wow, one can close their eyes listening to this and get the impression of being right at the front of the stage listening to this sweet version...

These phones are sweet with well recorded music....

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #305 of 3,305
After listening to Frank Zappa's "One Size Fits All", I'm hearing background dialogue in Inca Roads I've never heard before - the detail on these phones are amazing, listening with the grey filters and stock medium Comply tips. I think I'll get the large Complys, as I have to "re-seat" the phones often with the mediums to pick up extra bass (or get some medium Shure foam olives too to compare).

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #306 of 3,305
Yes, these phones are great for Zappa's music, which is typically very complex and has stuff you can't believe going on in the background. Just an amazing musician/song writer - so far above the competition in his day (and even today, in fact, as his stuff will never be dated. Oh, maybe Dancin' Fool no longer applies, but I love that track nevertheless).

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #308 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right. I got mine from Phonak, but forgot until I checked email receipts. I got them with the two packs of filters (one of each color). Free shipping in fact, and only $13 for the Complys.

Any current coupon codes you know of?

nG

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #311 of 3,305
I realize this is an appreciation thread but wanted to pose a question to the team:
After upgrading to the Nuforce NE-7m's I've found that despite fair performance, the fact that these headphones do fair in all departments but lack depth and a "fun" sound make them hard to listen to or be interested in.
It seems as though the PFE's are comparable in that they are "even", "well rounded", etc. I know these would be better than the NE-7m, but are they fun and engaging?
Thanks for any thoughts,
NICK

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #312 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by joincoolkidclub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize this is an appreciation thread but wanted to pose a question to the team:
After upgrading to the Nuforce NE-7m's I've found that despite fair performance, the fact that these headphones do fair in all departments but lack depth and a "fun" sound make them hard to listen to or be interested in.
It seems as though the PFE's are comparable in that they are "even", "well rounded", etc. I know these would be better than the NE-7m, but are they fun and engaging?
Thanks for any thoughts,
NICK

IMO, the PFEs are a [big] step up from the NE-7, and I did find them to be fun and engaging with the black filters. What do you mean by "lack depth?"

The sound signature I like is balanced/large stage/a little warm and it has to have accurate, deep bass and extended treble. I feel the PFE with the black filter is balanced with accurate deep bass and extended treble (my hearing stops at 17KHz, or all my equipment does
biggrin.gif
).

To me, it depends upon what you have as a reference point and what you prefer as a sound sig. Some people think bass heavy is fun, even when the sound is dark. I don't!

Anyways, I thought the PFEs were fun and engaging until my IE8 burned in, then the PFE sounded less "fun" comparatively. When I would switch from the IE8s to the PFEs, I was disappointed, but when I started with the PFEs, they sounded very good and engaging, if that makes sense.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #313 of 3,305
Quote:

Thanks for any thoughts,
NICK

Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the PFEs are a [big] step up from the NE-7, and I did find them to be fun and engaging with the black filters. What do you mean by "lack depth?"

The sound signature I like is balanced/large stage/a little warm and it has to have accurate, deep bass and extended treble. I feel the PFE with the black filter is balanced with accurate deep bass and extended treble (my hearing stops at 17KHz, or all my equipment does
biggrin.gif
).

To me, it depends upon what you have as a reference point and what you prefer as a sound sig. Some people think bass heavy is fun, even when the sound is dark. I don't!

Anyways, I thought the PFEs were fun and engaging until my IE8 burned in, then the PFE sounded less "fun" comparatively. When I would switch from the IE8s to the PFEs, I was disappointed, but when I started with the PFEs, they sounded very good and engaging, if that makes sense.

Avg Dude, he means the NE-7M are lacking the "fun and depth", and he wants to know if the Phonak have what is missing.

I think both have the fun and depth, and the big difference is the NE-7M have more bass and less detail than the Phonak, but are more efficient as well.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #314 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avg Dude, he means the NE-7M are lacking the "fun and depth", and he wants to know if the Phonak have what is missing.

I think both have the fun and depth, and the big difference is the NE-7M have more bass and less detail than the Phonak, but are more efficient as well.

After re-reading joincoolkidclub's post, I am still confused with his use of depth (call me slow
wink.gif
). Bass depth? Soundstage depth? The NE-7 does have good bass depth, hence my question.

He also asked "but are they fun and engaging?" I think they have different sound signatures, and the PFE sound sig to me is more "fun and engaging."

joincoolkidclub asked for thoughts, I gave!
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #315 of 3,305
Quote:

Thanks for any thoughts,
NICK

They are fun and engaging to me. However, I seek accuracy and transparency. I think you may be looking for a more colored bass heavy presentation. The IE8 appears to have that extra frosting on top that you may be looking for. These are all about accuracy but do not sound clinical like the Etys.

The black filters give lots of bass while keeping things very tight. I always listen to the grays, but that's my preference. So, it can be two different IEMs depending on what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back