Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jun 19, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #2,972 of 3,308
Guys, are PFE 122/132 an iems for me if i'm Etymotic ER4 fan?

I've had both of them but I've gone the other way around, from 112's to the ER4's... The 112/122/132's have more sparkly and noticeable highs but I find the ER4's to be more thicker and detailed in the midrange and bass. PFE's are much more comfy obviously but ER4's are much better in isolation. Overall I think that the two have similar enough balance in sound that if you like one signature you'll likely find the other likeable as well. I think ER4's are technically better sounding, but PFE's are much more practical as an everyday on the go IEM due to their better comfort/portability.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #2,973 of 3,308
I've had both of them but I've gone the other way around, from 112's to the ER4's... The 112/122/132's have more sparkly and noticeable highs but I find the ER4's to be more thicker and detailed in the midrange and bass. PFE's are much more comfy obviously but ER4's are much better in isolation. Overall I think that the two have similar enough balance in sound that if you like one signature you'll likely find the other likeable as well. I think ER4's are technically better sounding, but PFE's are much more practical as an everyday on the go IEM due to their better comfort/portability.
I agree that the pfe's are more practical. I actually got the same amount of isolation with the shure white triple flange. I cut off the large flange. Didn't believe it would work, but it does. Detail retrieval on the pfe's are great. The er4s are less fatiguing, and a cut above, but the pfe's can be found often for $40. Here's what the shure triple flanges look like. The ear guides are from my old soundmagic pl30's (I think)

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #2,975 of 3,308
  despite all the new eawrphones that seem to be popping up basically everyday... i figured it'd be nice to bump up an old favorite! Anyone still listening to these in 2015?

Yes Tom22, I'm still listening to the Phonak PFE022....especially with grey filters and Comply T130 tips....eargasm 
biggrin.gif
 It's so good that I bought another pair from Earphone Solutions on standby just in case. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #2,976 of 3,308
I still listen to my pair, had them for like 4 years now. Mostly use them on Sundays at work. Looking for a IEM that has similar mids and highs but slightly more bass for less than £100 ($150) . Not to mention they are the mostly comfortable iems I've ever worn. Any suggestions?

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2,977 of 3,308
  I still listen to my pair, had them for like 4 years now. Mostly use them on Sundays at work. Looking for a IEM that has similar mids and highs but slightly more bass for less than £100 ($150) . Not to mention they are the mostly comfortable iems I've ever worn. Any suggestions?

Have you tried the Comply T130 tips yet? To be honest I'm not a big fan of Comply tips because it normally attenuates the high frequency details but in Phonak's case, it pairs very well indeed. It brings out the bass without cutting the high frequency details.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,979 of 3,308
  No I have not. At the moment i am using a pair of complies that came with a pair of vsonic iems. Might need to give them a try. They are hard to find in the UK.

I purchased my T130 tips directly from Comply. I read somewhere that the Comply T130 are manufactured specially for the Phonaks and it sure didn't disappoint. I've also tried the T100 but it doesn't pair as well as the T130.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2,983 of 3,308
I'm a proud owner of PFE112 (greay filter) and I've been in love with them for 4 years.

However, since I've bought a Fiio X3-II, I've started to found them quite agressive in the highs. Cymbals seems to be louder than the rest and they induce some weariness after 2 hours sessions. I'm quite disturbed by the fact that it seems it is time to put them aside and find an IEM with similar signature, and less sparkling/analytical highs

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #2,985 of 3,308
Etymotics ER4 is often a suggestion for a PFE upgrade, too bad they are so expensive :frowning2: Are the Phonaks so ggod that you have to pay double the price to find better?

On the other hand (really cheaper price) I've read that the Zero Audio Tenore are a great alternative, if one needs less sparkling highs with a good signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back