Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Aug 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #2,147 of 3,305
Quote:
Are you comparing with the grey or the black filters? Aren't the black filters warmer than the DBAs?

Grey filter. Black filter is indeed warmer than DBA, but it takes away some of the top-end clarity as well.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #2,151 of 3,305
A help please!

My PFE finally has a crack on the housing.  I read many people report it before, and I thought I was lucky that my pair was solid as rock.  However, I haven't touch my PFE for months due to the fact I was in love with my other, newer, iem's.  A few days ago, I started to compare my newer iem's and PFE's for comparison.  Just today I discovered that I had a crack in the housing...  I remember there used to be a head-fier who used to take care when something like this happen.  I tried to search for him, but obviously the thread is quite long now that I couldn't find it.  Is there anybody remember who that person was?  Thanks in advance! 

By the way, I been comparing PFE's to iem's costing twice and more, but I still find PFE's sound quality very good!!  It's just different taste among other high end iem's, but I find nothing much lacking in PFE's in terms of technical aspects.  PFE has been my favorite IEM for about year, and I still find it such a bargain iem.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #2,152 of 3,305
Do a search for a thread titled "A big thumbs up to Phonak" and you can read info there.I don't know if he's still active/reads threads but  wbrownie is the man who could take care of you.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #2,154 of 3,305
I've had a crack in my PFEs a long time ago but it didn't go worse, you can probably keep using them. I think using the silicone tips is safer as they're easier to insert. You can ask for a replacement though and keep the old ones
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #2,155 of 3,305
First post at Head-Fi!

Today I received my Phonak PFEs
smily_headphones1.gif

Five or six years ago I had my first IEM-ish experience when I bought little things that you could plug onto your iPod earbuds that turned them into a sort of Frankenstein in-ears. I was amazed at the difference in sound, especially the bass. The last 3 or so years I have used Sennheiser CX300s, which were nice compared to what I was used to. And now Phonaks! As you can see, I am not very experienced, and have discovered Head-Fi only a few days ago when I tried to decide what to buy. So I make get some things technically, and I will be very subjective. But please feel free to comment on things like that, I am also here to learn
smily_headphones1.gif

I have read manufacturer statements that these types of of IEMs do not require or significantly benefit from a burn-in period, so that is what I will be assuming in my judgments.

When I first plugged them in, I actually did not like the sound much. Now I have switched to the black filters, and the Comply foamies. Does that qualify as bass-head if anyone's books? I surprised myself with it to be honest...
There are also songs there I was hoping for the bass to go lower, but I am probably just missing the bass speakers can give and earbuds can't...
Edit: I looked up some crazy-bass songs that I generally don't listen much (real woofer rumblers). The strength of the frequencies it does reach is very nice! Never 'bubbly' (when it drowns out, like turning up a cheap sub too far) and never weak either. This set sounds VERY good for strong electronic music in my opinion.

So far they sound really good now. Their volume isn't very high, and I have the feeling that it's more tiring (sound-wise) to my ears listening to these than to my speakers or CX300s at a comparable volume. Maybe I have to process more details in the sound than I am used to
wink.gif
. Not sure, maybe someone else has a wise comment on this.

Ergonomically they are actually really nice. I used the Compy tips and the ear guards, and they feel really light. Also not the 'finger stuck in your ear' feeling some in-ear stuff can have. I had the idea they were not in deep enough, but listening to the sound I think I am getting a proper seal. Pushing them further in by keeping my fingers on them only makes it worse. So I guess it's just designed this way. Which is really good actually
smily_headphones1.gif
. A less bothersome feeling without giving up quality for it.

I do get a bit of distortion now and then. Currently I have them hooked up to my Logitech Z-5400 that are on my computer's Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic, and I have disabled all the software-toys of the X-Fi (Crystalizer,  CMSS-3D, SVM, EQ off). I am not sure where it's coming from.

So far so good! Any comments on my experience?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #2,156 of 3,305
I guess I now know what sibilance really means... Aside from some distortion at certain frequencies which I for now blame on other hardware, I am getting crazy lisping s-sounds on some vocals, and sometimes the treble in songs makes me cringe...
Even with the Comply tips, which I believe help dampen them a bit. (I used the black filters btw.)

I haven't found the best tips for me either. I have the feeling the medium silicones and the medium Comply tips are a bit too small for me, but the large silicones are not suitable either.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #2,157 of 3,305
You're likely still used to the cx300 which are as bass heavy and dark as can be. Also, realize that while balanced armature IEMs don't burn in, your personal preferences do change with time. Give them a few days, maybe a week, and then see what you think. IMO, comply tips tend to completely muffle the high end. They're good for isolation, and that's about it. If you want more bass, just use an equalizer.  The PFE is reported to be able to reproduce sounds down to 20Hz, so extension shouldn't be the issue, just impact.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #2,159 of 3,305

Quote:
I guess I now know what sibilance really means... Aside from some distortion at certain frequencies which I for now blame on other hardware, I am getting crazy lisping s-sounds on some vocals, and sometimes the treble in songs makes me cringe...
Even with the Comply tips, which I believe help dampen them a bit. (I used the black filters btw.)

I haven't found the best tips for me either. I have the feeling the medium silicones and the medium Comply tips are a bit too small for me, but the large silicones are not suitable either.

I've never had a problem with sibilance with my PFE (I'm on my third pair). If you listen to poorly recorded music then you will have a bad listening experience. I remain very happy with the sound. I'm currently using the grey filters and modified tri-flange tips(bi-flange) from Ety ER4. I shortened the silicone stalk so that the housing sits close to my ear. I get better isolation since the large flange also helps to block outside noise.

Since day one with the PFE I had a problem with the stock silicone tips coming off and getting stuck in my ears. Using yellow Shure foamies works and sounds good but they're a pain to get on(too tight). Just recently I decided to super glue the bi-flange tips on because they too would come off but because they get stopped at my outer ear they didn't require tweezers to remove. I figure if the filters ever need replacing I can just rip off the bi-flange tips and scrape off the small amount of hard glue and start over.

I now use my PFE only for pre-sleep listening but leave them in all night. I never have any comfort issues. I do end up turning the volume down to very low to sleep. I'm now using my i7 amped with Pico Slim for super-accurate volume control. These 2 gems go all week on a single charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back