Philips stuff: what is worth it?
Jun 28, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
No offense, but these can easily fight against KOSS.

Good to hear

Quote:

And trying to recable these will be hella hard. Owners of these cans know why.

Judging from the picture, they have removable cables.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #47 of 58
Howdy all I could get that HPC1500 set with 99€ and I was wondering if it would be any good investment.
Currently I have Beyerdynamic DT880 phones without amp. I listen everying on my PC and some amp could be handy with those, or?

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maczon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy all I could get that HPC1500 set with 99€ and I was wondering if it would be any good investment.
Currently I have Beyerdynamic DT880 phones without amp. I listen everying on my PC and some amp could be handy with those, or?

You've ressurected an old thread and it isn't totally clear what you are asking.
I guess what you meant is the SBC HP 1500 set.
Well, basically this is a good dolby headphones processor combined with a mediocre amp and crappy headphones.
The headphones will fall apart within a few weeks anyway (flawed engineering).There's already a successor on the market.
That's the reason why you can get this set relatively cheap.
Regarding the price:99 Euros is kind of a bargain.Normal going price for the discontinued set is about 150 Euros.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've ressurected an old thread and it isn't totally clear what you are asking.
I guess what you meant is the SBC HP 1500 set.
Well, basically this is a good dolby headphones processor combined with a mediocre amp and crappy headphones.
The headphones will fall apart within a few weeks anyway (flawed engineering).There's already a successor on the market.
That's the reason why you can get this set relatively cheap.
Regarding the price:99 Euros is kind of a bargain.Normal going price for the discontinued set is about 150 Euros.

He might be talking about the wired (HP1500) unit. The HP1000 headphones aren't crappy. Not as good as the DT880, but certainly not crappy.

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He might be talking about the wired (HP1500) unit.

Most probably.The wireless set was called SBC HD 1500.
Quote:

The HP1000 headphones aren't crappy

That's a question of perspective.I've owned the set, and the headphones didn't get any use.
Besides of sound quality my main point is : there is a reason why the set is discontinued and the years old remaining sets are sold at bargain prices in Europe.
Most headbands/swivel broke within a few months.
From my point of view headphones that are prone to break soon deserve to be called crappy.Philipps did fix the problem in the meantime, but the bargain sets contain the old headphones.
However, I'd say for 99 Euros forget the headphones and enjoy the good standalone dolby headphones processor.
As a headphones amp it's not that great either, especially in combination with high Z headphones like the 250 Ohm Beyers.(It's meant to drive low Z headphones like the ~30 Ohm HP1000)
Surely better than most soundcards, but not great.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #51 of 58
Well the point of my post was that should I buy that set (SBCHP1500) when I already have some decent phones and I dont have any amp.
And I have heard those HP1000 phones and I dont consider those crappy ones.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Well the point of my post was that should I buy that set (SBCHP1500) when I already have some decent phones and I dont have any amp.

Even Cosmo, the biggest detractor here, agrees that these are a good deal at 99 euros. The amp should operate at least on the level of a $100 portable amp, and there are those who swear by the dolby processing. Just be careful with that swivel joint!

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

You are right, I didn't answer your question, and again, my comment about crappiness was mainly regarding the built quality.
I would purchase the set since you are risking nothing.
Sell the mint Philipps headphones at ebay (you'll get 50+ Euros dependant on your location) since your Beyers are better anyway.
This way you will get a better sound quality as you currently have for less than 50 Euros.
In case the upgrade bug bites again in the future you could easily sell the amp/DH processor for 50 Euros.
It's a no brainer.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most probably.The wireless set was called SBC HD 1500.
That's a question of perspective.I've owned the set, and the headphones didn't get any use.
Besides of sound quality my main point is : there is a reason why the set is discontinued and the years old remaining sets are sold at bargain prices in Europe.
Most headbands/swivel broke within a few months.
From my point of view headphones that are prone to break soon deserve to be called crappy.Philipps did fix the problem in the meantime, but the bargain sets contain the old headphones.
However, I'd say for 99 Euros forget the headphones and enjoy the good standalone dolby headphones processor.
As a headphones amp it's not that great either, especially in combination with high Z headphones like the 250 Ohm Beyers.(It's meant to drive low Z headphones like the ~30 Ohm HP1000)
Surely better than most soundcards, but not great.

Well, I've owned them too. The build quality was a bit flakey, but not as bad as you're suggesting. Of course, I did buy them within the least year so it may well have had the 'fixed' design you alluded to.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #55 of 58
HP1000 is a amazing headphone for the money, under 100€ is exelent! And new pairs dont suffer from crackling headband either. I think the sound is pretty similar to senn HD600 exept the bass aint as deep and refined.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think phillips is a dutch company...i never really liked their stuff but some people really like them...i think they are like sony though..alot of lower end crap and really good stuff on the high end..but our european headfiers probably have more knowledge about their product lines

Philips is Dutch. It's from the town Eindhoven. It's a HUGE electronica concern and it used to make and develop a lot of stuff by itself, but sadly because of economics they mostly buy stuff from cheap factories and put their sticker on it.

I wouldn't recommend Philips cans also because their service is very bad when it comes to garantee...

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #57 of 58
Im planning to buy the sbchp460 philips headphones since in Bolivia we dont have senheisers, Koss, Bose. I was thinking between the philips sbchp460 and the philips shl8800. The Philips shl8800 is 10 dollars more than the sbchp460, i read reviews about the shl8800 that they have an amazing bass, are they worth the extra 10 dollars? or should i just stick to the sbchp460? I have already tried the sbchp460 and they sound really good, but i wonder if the shl8800 is better.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #58 of 58
I enjoyed, and still enjoy, the SHP-8900 quite a bit. They aren't great. But they are good. With quite a good value (here in sweden atleast.)
I really love the cable. It's one of the most cat and tangle-resistant cables i've seen. I can't say anything about the quality of the cable itself though, under the hood.

Edit: Perhaps i should check the dates on threads..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back