Philips stuff: what is worth it?
Apr 8, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #16 of 58
Where can you order the HP1000? The only place I have found it is in the Japanese Amazon for 10,000 yen. They really seem like decent cans for the audiophile on the budget (like myself).

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 58
For portable, the SBC-HP460 kicks the PX100's ass so far it's not funny.

$30 shipped, IMO, it's the second best can you can get for under $30. (first is KSC75) But the HP460's give isolation and are comfier than the clip-on's.

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong

$30 shipped, IMO, it's the second best can you can get for under $30. (first is KSC75) But the HP460's give isolation and are comfier than the clip-on's.

Those look awesome. Is the bass flabby or bloated anymore then the Kosses? I would love a nice pair of headphones with regular headband on the go that wont break the bank. (PortaPros are nice, but I find them uncomfortable now.)

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

can you elaborate? They sell those at target and frys for ~$30.

thanks

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Where can you order the HP1000? The only place I have found it is in the Japanese Amazon for 10,000 yen. They really seem like decent cans for the audiophile on the budget (like myself).

Try a European ebay site, and keep looking until you find someone who ships internationally.

Alternatively, get a Philips HP1500 Dolby Headphone system, keep the HP1000s, and sell me the Dolby Headphone unit.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

thanks

Yikes! I just ordered a pair. $38 shipped from MacMall, solid etailer. Somebody stop me!
eek.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

thanks

They're not as smooth as the PX100's. They're much punicher and in your face. Detail and highs are present right out of the box. Bass is deep and lush. I think the only weakness it has is the mids. Mids are slightly onscured by the lows and the highs.

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

They're not as smooth as the PX100's. They're much punicher and in your face. Detail and highs are present right out of the box. Bass is deep and lush. I think the only weakness it has is the mids. Mids are slightly onscured by the lows and the highs.

Ooh IMHO a little treble and bass boost is a good tihng for a portable can.
How well does it isolate?... does it block out any ambient noise at all?

thanks!!
Garrett

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #25 of 58
Ooops. I spelled "obscured" wrong.

The isolation level is very good. I think these are on par against canalphones such as the HJE50's.

And these don't make you look stupid, like the HP430's. Now THOSE were a very bad pair of Philips cans.

Edit: BTW, the HP460's make the sony G74, JVC FX55 and Sen PX100's sound like flat crap IMHO.

Edit 2: IT also has a volume control. If you don't like it, try modding it off. I'm not a very good modder, so I just kept it. Handy as the cans isolate quite well.

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Ooops. I spelled "obscured" wrong.

The isolation level is very good. I think these are on par against canalphones such as the HJE50's.

And these don't make you look stupid, like the HP430's. Now THOSE were a very bad pair of Philips cans.

Edit: BTW, the HP460's make the sony G74, JVC FX55 and Sen PX100's sound like flat crap IMHO.

Edit 2: IT also has a volume control. If you don't like it, try modding it off. I'm not a very good modder, so I just kept it. Handy as the cans isolate quite well.

Dude that is awesome news. Thanks man. I'll order a pair as soon as I have the funds. Another thing, is having the volume control all the way up the same as not having it? Or does it still degrade the signal?

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitewind
muckluck....the volume control acts like a resistor, and doesn't matter where u put it

just some FYI for ya
biggrin.gif

That much I knew, but I figured all the way up = 0 resistance.

Apr 9, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #29 of 58
oh haha i thought u mean the position of the volume control relative to the wire..not the position little linear pot. anyways, it would be zero if u turn it all the way up (ideally)

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitewind
oh haha i thought u mean the position of the volume control relative to the wire..not the position little linear pot. anyways, it would be zero if u turn it all the way up (ideally)

On cheap Philips' at least, the thing is so cleap and plasticy I doubt that it actually achieves zero resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back