Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 27, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,831 of 2,061
Well, it's not like the HD6-- line from Sennheiser doesn't need power. They're 300 Ohms after all. :p

But yeah, I get your point. I'd love to get a pair of Sennheisers, just so I can own a pair of headphone history. Although I would prefer the HD650/6xx for their sound signature. I prefer warmer, wider headphones, especially with open backs. Neutrality isn't an absolute must. But right now, unless I find them for 150€ tops, I'm not doing it. Unless it's a deal I can't turn down, I'll prefer buying them new. I'm getting a proper job by the end of the year, so I could buy a pair new then. I hope Massdrop keeps the HD6xx coming because I dig the black color scheme and despise the default Sennheiser looks.

As I said above, I'd like to own a pair of Senns. These things have written headphone history and have been praised by 99% of their users. It's unlikely I'm gonna be among the 1% of special snowflakes that don't like them. :p

But yeah, I'd much rather wait and hope I can get a pair of HD6xx new unless I can get a killer deal on some 650s.

Well, they sound better, but also cost a lot more and from what I've gathered, are much more likely to spontaneously fall apart. I'd love nothing more than to own a nice pair of planars, I've wanted one ever since I auditioned the Audeze LCD-X, LCD-2 and EL8c at an audio show. The Hifimans aren't gonna be that, but at least they have the planar sound. So I guess same goes for the HF as it does for the Senns, I'm gonna wait unless I find them ridiculously cheap. If I can afford having a pair of cans fail, I'll get the Hifimans and consider them a great sounding disposable item or something. :)

I think the silver HD650 are much more sexy than the 6XX but that one isn't bad as well. I have the same issue as you Hifiman QC, in the end this was the decisive factor for me to buy the Hd58x instead a Hifiman and people are praising it so much that I think I made a good decision

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,832 of 2,061
Yup, that's exactly what I expect to be happening. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the SHP9500 isn't detailed, just that the X2 should be clearly superior in most aspects. With that said, emphasis in one area can distract from another, so the X2 might appear as less detailed I guess.

To be completely honest, I want to get both, but I can't right now. I can barely maybe get the X2. I'm also considering getting 2 pairs of 9500 and, when the prices skyrocket permanently because stock's running out, I can sell one of my pairs for a nice profit. I mean, I shouldn't be considering it, but I am. :p
I had both, until selling the 9500 two weeks ago, after gathering dust from lack of use. Let me be clear - the X2 is superior in every way, hence the higher price. The 9500 is good - just not X2 good. Just my two cents. Regarding the expected huge profits, I see that all the time on flea-Bay and elsewhere, and they tend to languish unsold forever. Not a good hedge bet. If I have money burning a hole in my wallet, I'm going to buy the latest and greatest instead of a significantly older product. Regardless, whatever you decide to do, good luck bro!

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,833 of 2,061
I think the silver HD650 are much more sexy than the 6XX but that one isn't bad as well. I have the same issue as you Hifiman QC, in the end this was the decisive factor for me to buy the Hd58x instead a Hifiman and people are praising it so much that I think I made a good decision
Nah, I don't really like the silver. What I despise is the marble-like finish on the HD600. My god these are ugly. Good, no doubt, but ugly.
I had both, until selling the 9500 two weeks ago, after gathering dust from lack of use. Let me be clear - the X2 is superior in every way, hence the higher price. The 9500 is good - just not X2 good. Just my two cents. Regarding the expected huge profits, I see that all the time on flea-Bay and elsewhere, and they tend to languish unsold forever. Not a good hedge bet. If I have money burning a hole in my wallet, I'm going to buy the latest and greatest instead of a significantly older product. Regardless, whatever you decide to do, good luck bro!
Yup, that's what I expected. The X2 should be a much better headphone, hands down. I have yet to see anyone not praise it. And to have people comparing it to the HD650 and sometimes consider it slightly superior is a big win for it, especially if one of these people is Tyll Herstens.

I was half joking about getting a second pair of SHP9500 and selling them, but realistically what I expect will happen is that I will get a pair, use it for a while until I can get my finances back together and then sell them to get something better. If I can get back as much as I paid in the first place, I'm gonna be winning on this. I don't expect to make a profit, just enough to make selling them worthwhile.

Anyways! Thanks a bunch mate!

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #1,834 of 2,061
Also just a heads up, the HD 6XX is a dark blue, not black, in a matte finish.

HD 6XX and SHP9500s have very different sound signatures. SHPs have a lot more highs and are noticeably granier than the HD 6XX. HD 6XX has lovely vocals and a bit more midbass.

Both are good at their respective price points. I have no issues recommending either depending on how much you want to spend. Although I still think that a ~$60 SHP9500 is my pick for anything under $130, which is pretty impressive.

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,835 of 2,061
Also just a heads up, the HD 6XX is a dark blue, not black, in a matte finish.

HD 6XX and SHP9500s have very different sound signatures. SHPs have a lot more highs and are noticeably granier than the HD 6XX. HD 6XX has lovely vocals and a bit more midbass.

Both are good at their respective price points. I have no issues recommending either depending on how much you want to spend. Although I still think that a ~$60 SHP9500 is my pick for anything under $130, which is pretty impressive.
Yup. I've heard that the SHP9500 are very close to the sound signature of the HD600, just wider. The HD650 is another thing completely. I'd pit them against the X2 maybe, but not against the 9500.

Also, the blue of the HD6xx looks dark enough that I can consider it black with my limited color perception. :p
(Just kidiing, I didn't even remember it was... Midnight blue, they were calling it? I think that's correct. I must have confused it with the HD660s)

Price wise, the Senns and the 9500 don't even compare. They aren't competing with each other, after all. I can see someone comparing them to the HD559 or something, that's a valid comparison, but the HD6xx line is a few leagues above the 9500, as are the X2. At least, that's the consensus.

PS : I'd guess that with HM5 pleather pads, the SHP9500 may have more midbass than the HD650. Not better mind you, just more of it.

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,836 of 2,061
Price wise, the Senns and the 9500 don't even compare. They aren't competing with each other, after all. I can see someone comparing them to the HD559 or something, that's a valid comparison, but the HD6xx line is a few leagues above the 9500, as are the X2. At least, that's the consensus.

PS : I'd guess that with HM5 pleather pads, the SHP9500 may have more midbass than the HD650. Not better mind you, just more of it.

You might be surprised. When I moved from the SHP9500 to the HD 6XX, I wasn't blown away. HD 6XX has a more laid back sound signature - in fact it's borderline boring. That's why people tend to prefer the HD 600s. I spent a long time debating whether I should resell my HD 6XX and keep the SHP9500 simply because the 4x increase in price wasn't indicative of a 4x, or even 2x increase in sound, build quality, or listening enjoyment.

Also adding HM5s to SHP9500s make them bloated bass cannons. Fun to test, but probably not what I'd listen to on a daily basis for sure.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #1,837 of 2,061
You might be surprised. When I moved from the SHP9500 to the HD 6XX, I wasn't blown away. HD 6XX has a more laid back sound signature - in fact it's borderline boring. That's why people tend to prefer the HD 600s. I spent a long time debating whether I should resell my HD 6XX and keep the SHP9500 simply because the 4x increase in price wasn't indicative of a 4x, or even 2x increase in sound, build quality, or listening enjoyment.

Also adding HM5s to SHP9500s make them bloated bass cannons. Fun to test, but probably not what I'd listen to on a daily basis for sure.
Not if you go with the hybrids. I personally didn't care for the sound with the pleather, but with the hybrid pads they are very good.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,838 of 2,061
Yeah, I only tried with the regular pleather HM5s as those were the ones I had at the time.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #1,839 of 2,061
Are they really that bad with the pleathers? I already have a pair and would like to use them, even if it takes some modding. Mind you, I'm ok with bassy headphones, just not with bloated, messy, loose bass.

Aug 28, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,840 of 2,061
Are they really that bad with the pleathers? I already have a pair and would like to use them, even if it takes some modding. Mind you, I'm ok with bassy headphones, just not with bloated, messy, loose bass.

No, they are not bad with pleathers. I have angled pleathers on mine. It’s just like anything though; different people prefer different sound. I am not willing to give up the reduction in bass that velour pads cause, because of the genres I listen to.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,841 of 2,061
No, they are not bad with pleathers. I have angled pleathers on mine. It’s just like anything though; different people prefer different sound. I am not willing to give up the reduction in bass that pleathers cause, because of the genres I listen to.
Reduction? I think you mean increase, right?

Hmm, I hope that's the case. I'm a metalhead, so depending on what I hear that day, extra bass may or may not be desirable, but I'd rather have a bit extra than have it lacking a bit, if you know what I mean. I also have the flat pads, so I don't know how these would affect the sound. Oh well, we'll see...

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,842 of 2,061
Reduction? I think you mean increase, right?

Hmm, I hope that's the case. I'm a metalhead, so depending on what I hear that day, extra bass may or may not be desirable, but I'd rather have a bit extra than have it lacking a bit, if you know what I mean. I also have the flat pads, so I don't know how these would affect the sound. Oh well, we'll see...

Sorry that was a typo. I meant velour. Post updated :)

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,843 of 2,061
Sorry that was a typo. I meant velour. Post updated :)
Ah, I see. Well, let's see if I end up getting the SHP9500 first, then I may also get a pair of velours or hybrids for them. Can't go wrong with more pads. MOAR PADZ!

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #1,844 of 2,061
How do you guys keep the ear pads clean I have a pair but there starting to stink.

If I would've known they they were going to discontinue them I would have bought a second pair.

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #1,845 of 2,061
I didn't hate mine with pleathers, I just prefer the hybrid. I don't recall thinking they were bloated or sloppy, I just preferred the hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back