Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 26, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1,816 of 2,061
Thanks for your reply bud!

Well, in theory I know exactly how the X2 should sound like. That's the kind of sound signature I want now. For treble and detail and airiness, my MSR7 fit the bill just fine. Even if I go the SHP9500 route, I'll basically mod them to sound as close to the X2 as possible tbh. Still, I guess no matter how much work gets put into them, they will never be X2s.

Regarding the HD58x, same issue with the HD6xx. Customs fees in Greece are all over the place. Unless the vendor provides an option for paying import charges up front, like Amazon does, you never know what you're gonna have to pay. I've heard of people not paying a dime for expensive items and I've heard of people that were asked to pay twice the price of the items they ordered in import charges. It's messed up, I tell you!
I own both thex 2 and the shp9500. Electrolite ; is correct.in his description.
I don't own the X2 but both should sound different. The X2 will have more bass and soundstage the SHP9500 should be more airy and tending to the treble side. I think if I were you I would get the HD58X I just ordered mine and when I have them I will compare with the SHP9500

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #1,817 of 2,061
I own both thex 2 and the shp9500. Electrolite ; is correct.in his description.

also @Electrolite Would you agree that the SHP9500 has better imaging than the X2's? Soundstage is def better on the X2's, but I find the imaging to be really great with the SHP9500, also I find the SHP9500 is very sensitive to certain amps/dacs, I actually don't like the way it sounds on Dragonfly Red dac/amp $200, but love the way SHP9500 sounds on teh Fiio K1 $40. I also enjoyed it on my Lyr 3 $500 amp.

Also all my listening with SHP9500 was done with HM5 pleather earpads wrapped around the earcups, it really does help the sound.

Aug 27, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,818 of 2,061
also @Electrolite Would you agree that the SHP9500 has better imaging than the X2's? Soundstage is def better on the X2's, but I find the imaging to be really great with the SHP9500, also I find the SHP9500 is very sensitive to certain amps/dacs, I actually don't like the way it sounds on Dragonfly Red dac/amp $200, but love the way SHP9500 sounds on teh Fiio K1 $40. I also enjoyed it on my Lyr 3 $500 amp.

Also all my listening with SHP9500 was done with HM5 pleather earpads wrapped around the earcups, it really does help the sound.

I lack reference to know if my Shp9500 imagine is that great I will compare with the Sennheiser when I can but for now being my only can I don't miss anything on imaging. And I can't be sure since I don't own the X2 but it wasn't uncommon of people complaining about the imaging on these. The Soundstage was great but sometimes it feels unnatural and you lose some imaging kinda the same issue with the Akg 7xx some compromises to get a bigger Soundstage.

About the hm5 pads this one is mixed, a lot of people like it but a lot say that it destroys the original sound. I think I will get the Shure 1840 with some hard paper to keep the bass and increase comfort

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,819 of 2,061
I lack reference to know if my Shp9500 imagine is that great I will compare with the Sennheiser when I can but for now being my only can I don't miss anything on imaging. And I can't be sure since I don't own the X2 but it wasn't uncommon of people complaining about the imaging on these. The Soundstage was great but sometimes it feels unnatural and you lose some imaging kinda the same issue with the Akg 7xx some compromises to get a bigger Soundstage.

About the hm5 pads this one is mixed, a lot of people like it but a lot say that it destroys the original sound. I think I will get the Shure 1840 with some hard paper to keep the bass and increase comfort

Shure 1540 you mean? 1840 loses bass, the 1540 alcantara pads will gain you bass though, I use those sometimes on my shp9500 as well.

I know when I play Witcher 3, and i see lightning off to my left far distance of the screen, and then thunder right after, NO HEADPHONE NONE has ever made it feel as realistic as the shp9500, I even looked out my window the first time it happened, thought it was really a storm in the distance to my left. lol its also amp dependant, happens everytime on Fiio K1 amp/dac, schiit fulla, but if I use dragonfly red which is much higher end, it gets sloppy. very weird. its like finding the magic key to get these headphones to shine for some reason. I highly recommend the Fiio K1 pairing with these though if you are on a budget, it really brings them to life.

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #1,820 of 2,061

Think of it like watching a tv monitor. Switching to the FIDELIO x2's, is like turning down the sharpness control on the monitor, a notch or two. The same images are still there, but they're less sharply defined.
This is due to the extra upper mid-range and treble response of the shp 9500's as compared to the x2.

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #1,821 of 2,061
So you guys are actually saying that the 9500 are more detailed than the X2? And that it's not grainy sound that's perceived as added detail? I find that hard to believe tbh. I mean, they're good, but I don't think they're THAT good. Could be wrong though.

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,822 of 2,061
So you guys are actually saying that the 9500 are more detailed than the X2? And that it's not grainy sound that's perceived as added detail? I find that hard to believe tbh. I mean, they're good, but I don't think they're THAT good. Could be wrong though.

Yeah SHP9500 are somewhat grainy but still they have good quality. I think that what happenes is that even if the X2 highs were a little more detailed, they lose focus because the signature with all the bass, mids and loose imaging so the SHP9500 with inferior highs, but still decent, added to the focus on highs from the signature makes them appear more detailed. Just my wild guess tho

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #1,823 of 2,061
Yeah SHP9500 are somewhat grainy but still they have good quality. I think that what happenes is that even if the X2 highs were a little more detailed, they lose focus because the signature with all the bass, mids and loose imaging so the SHP9500 with inferior highs, but still decent, added to the focus on highs from the signature makes them appear more detailed. Just my wild guess tho
Yup, that's exactly what I expect to be happening. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the SHP9500 isn't detailed, just that the X2 should be clearly superior in most aspects. With that said, emphasis in one area can distract from another, so the X2 might appear as less detailed I guess.

To be completely honest, I want to get both, but I can't right now. I can barely maybe get the X2. I'm also considering getting 2 pairs of 9500 and, when the prices skyrocket permanently because stock's running out, I can sell one of my pairs for a nice profit. I mean, I shouldn't be considering it, but I am. :p

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,824 of 2,061
Yup, that's exactly what I expect to be happening. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the SHP9500 isn't detailed, just that the X2 should be clearly superior in most aspects. With that said, emphasis in one area can distract from another, so the X2 might appear as less detailed I guess.

To be completely honest, I want to get both, but I can't right now. I can barely maybe get the X2. I'm also considering getting 2 pairs of 9500 and, when the prices skyrocket permanently because stock's running out, I can sell one of my pairs for a nice profit. I mean, I shouldn't be considering it, but I am. :p

Still the X2 has a 50mm driver I wonder how different it actually is from the SHP9500.

Not sure what you have avaible in Greece but the Hifiman He400s might be another good option if sennheisers are too hard. The X2 prices are rising as well aren't they?

I have no idea how it works do you get less tax for buying inside the EU?

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #1,825 of 2,061
Still the X2 has a 50mm driver I wonder how different it actually is from the SHP9500.

Not sure what you have avaible in Greece but the Hifiman He400s might be another good option if sennheisers are too hard. The X2 prices are rising as well aren't they?

I have no idea how it works do you get less tax for buying inside the EU?
If I'm not mistaken, the only thing the drivers of the X2 and SHP9500 have in common is the size. :p

Nah, forget Greece, the market here is tiny and what little is available is usually quite a bit overpriced. But I can buy from anywhere within the EU with no added cost, just more expensive shipping than if I buy from Greece. Import fees apply for purchases from outside the EU.

I've thought about the Hifimans, both the 400i and the 400s, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about their build quality. I treat my stuff well, but if it breaks on its own there's not much I can do. For a similar amount of money, I was eyeing the Fostex T60rp, but not only are they more expensive, they would also need a much beefier amp than my lowly Fiio Q1, so the total cost would be prohibitive at this point.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #1,826 of 2,061
If I'm not mistaken, the only thing the drivers of the X2 and SHP9500 have in common is the size. :p

Nah, forget Greece, the market here is tiny and what little is available is usually quite a bit overpriced. But I can buy from anywhere within the EU with no added cost, just more expensive shipping than if I buy from Greece. Import fees apply for purchases from outside the EU.

I've thought about the Hifimans, both the 400i and the 400s, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about their build quality. I treat my stuff well, but if it breaks on its own there's not much I can do. For a similar amount of money, I was eyeing the Fostex T60rp, but not only are they more expensive, they would also need a much beefier amp than my lowly Fiio Q1, so the total cost would be prohibitive at this point.

Yeah. I think the best best would be the used market. Finding an HD6XX or preferably the HD58X used inside the EU would be great maybe even a DT990 or 880 the fostex are nice as well but as you said you will need power but I think being inside the Eu you have a lot of options in Ebay I see good headphones pop on ebay all the time specially in Germany and England

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,827 of 2,061
I'd go for the HD6XX. I truly believe everyone should own HD600 and/or HD650, they are excellent benchmarks to compare other headphones to.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #1,828 of 2,061
I have both shp9500 and he400s. For me, hifimans with focuspads sounds better in every way (kinda expected, right), except soundstage, which is a bit smaller in comparison.
But I feel the presentation is more open on hifimans, especially when yoi remove the grills.
I usually prefer planars to dynamics, so it also depens on your taste. Also shp9500 have more agressive treble, which is no go for a lot of people including me, so I have performed some mods to make it sound better.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,829 of 2,061
Yeah. I think the best best would be the used market. Finding an HD6XX or preferably the HD58X used inside the EU would be great maybe even a DT990 or 880 the fostex are nice as well but as you said you will need power but I think being inside the Eu you have a lot of options in Ebay I see good headphones pop on ebay all the time specially in Germany and England
Well, it's not like the HD6-- line from Sennheiser doesn't need power. They're 300 Ohms after all. :p

But yeah, I get your point. I'd love to get a pair of Sennheisers, just so I can own a pair of headphone history. Although I would prefer the HD650/6xx for their sound signature. I prefer warmer, wider headphones, especially with open backs. Neutrality isn't an absolute must. But right now, unless I find them for 150€ tops, I'm not doing it. Unless it's a deal I can't turn down, I'll prefer buying them new. I'm getting a proper job by the end of the year, so I could buy a pair new then. I hope Massdrop keeps the HD6xx coming because I dig the black color scheme and despise the default Sennheiser looks.
I'd go for the HD6XX. I truly believe everyone should own HD600 and/or HD650, they are excellent benchmarks to compare other headphones to.
As I said above, I'd like to own a pair of Senns. These things have written headphone history and have been praised by 99% of their users. It's unlikely I'm gonna be among the 1% of special snowflakes that don't like them. :p

But yeah, I'd much rather wait and hope I can get a pair of HD6xx new unless I can get a killer deal on some 650s.
I have both shp9500 and he400s. For me, hifimans with focuspads sounds better in every way (kinda expected, right), except soundstage, which is a bit smaller in comparison.
But I feel the presentation is more open on hifimans, especially when yoi remove the grills.
I usually prefer planars to dynamics, so it also depens on your taste. Also shp9500 have more agressive treble, which is no go for a lot of people including me, so I have performed some mods to make it sound better.

Well, they sound better, but also cost a lot more and from what I've gathered, are much more likely to spontaneously fall apart. I'd love nothing more than to own a nice pair of planars, I've wanted one ever since I auditioned the Audeze LCD-X, LCD-2 and EL8c at an audio show. The Hifimans aren't gonna be that, but at least they have the planar sound. So I guess same goes for the HF as it does for the Senns, I'm gonna wait unless I find them ridiculously cheap. If I can afford having a pair of cans fail, I'll get the Hifimans and consider them a great sounding disposable item or something. :)

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,830 of 2,061
wow looks like its time to throw mine up on the old ebay. i have 3 brand new in box sets i bought as gifts and ended up going a different route put them away and forgot all about them. i had no idea these were bringing in this much dang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back