Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jul 24, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #437 of 2,061
how's the comfort for these? Currently using a Denon D7000. But I've had a Philips HP890 long long ago and I find that pair quite comfortable. are the pads replaceable? thanks

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #438 of 2,061
  how's the comfort for these? Currently using a Denon D7000. But I've had a Philips HP890 long long ago and I find that pair quite comfortable. are the pads replaceable? thanks

The Philips SHP9500 is very comfortable. My only gripe is that their ear cups are not super deep which can lead to your ears touching the inside of the cups if you have big ears like me. 

For $50 with free shipping, these are solid pair of headphones. They are a good sounding, comfortable pair of open-back headphones. I exclusively use mine at home, in my own room, which they are perfect for. Kinda sucks that they come with such a long cable though, but I got a $5, 4 ft. Mediabridge cable from Amazon and haven't looked back. These aren't giant killers, they're just really solid performers at their price. They are tuned similar to my RE-400 earphones, but don't sound as good. To me, that is.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #439 of 2,061
  The Philips SHP9500 is very comfortable. My only gripe is that their ear cups are not super deep which can lead to your ears touching the inside of the cups if you have big ears like me. 

snip...

Thanks for the response. Just one more question. Are the pads replaceable? thanks again

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #440 of 2,061
Did a back to back several hour comparo between my Philips and my AKG K553.  Surprised to find that the AKG has wider soundstage, better detail, better bass, etc.  I know the Philips are great, and for once my headphone is actually supremely comfortable. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #442 of 2,061
  Did a back to back several hour comparo between my Philips and my AKG K553.  Surprised to find that the AKG has wider soundstage, better detail, better bass, etc.  I know the Philips are great, and for once my headphone is actually supremely comfortable. 

If they can even come close to K553 ($200), that's quite an accomplishment!

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #443 of 2,061
For 24 hours only, $45.98 at Newegg.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8012741-24-hrs-only-philips-shp9500-black-over-ear-headphones-for-45-98-shipped-newegg-com?p=77370475

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #444 of 2,061
My experience is not the same as yours.  Your have far more posts than I, and I do not want to be rude, but the stock cable sounds fine on my set, and I am certain it is not hissing.  

I have difficulty seeing how a cable (which is just a piece of wire) can hiss...unless it is somehow defective in making or isolating contacts.  

I can see how a poorly designed cable with a high impedance might effect the sound, smearing detail slightly,  but it still would not hiss.  

The cable is a standard 3 contact plug, so if your source is not designed for standard 3 contact 3.5mm plugs (if it has mike or switching contacts), it is possible that things are not lining up right would cause issues.  

It is possible that a cable with a built in microphone may sound different because it may have circuitry designed to reduce noise to the listener...but that would not be cable hiss, it would be removing hiss from the actual source. 

I have used  other 3 conductor cables on the SHP9500 to get a shorter length and they sound exactly the same to me. I am certain if the stock cables were hissing you would see it in the majority of SHP9500 reviews.  

Come to think of it, I have never heard "cable hiss" described in any professional review of any headphone.   

Cables are very subjective in.my opinion. I'm no expert or pro either and I'm still in the learning process but in my own experience, this is what's happening. Now if you believe me or not it's up to you but I could agree it can't be the cable, it can also be the cable because maybe I got a defective one? I don't know but when I used the V Moda boom pro Mic, the" hissing was barely noticeable. This was while using a sound blaster z and a recon3d sub. Some people could say it's the source, some the cable etc. I don't own just a pair of these SHP9500, I have an AKG K7XX, Fidelio X1 and X2, M50 MA900, Momentum Over ears, Sennhesier PC350 SE. I used all of those with the sounds blaster z and recon3d and non of them gave me that "hiss". I don't recall calling it cable hiss but I did mention there was some hiss going on and that replacing the cable made things better. I'm not the only in this thread who mentions it. Some others also mentioned i Ned the hiss and that by replacing the cable, made it better. Maybe the headphones are a bit sensitive depending on source or maybe some defect in the headphone or in the cable or maybe you need your ears checked if you can't hear the small differences (not being rude, since some people have ear damage and can't hear certain frequencies or the low end of a sound)

The whole cable thing is debatable or even a placebo.

I just mentioned it because someone else mentioned it and I wasn't the only one, so I had to put in my opinion an experience as well.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #445 of 2,061
What I can agree to your opinion though is that cables with built in microphones could reduce a source hiss.

If I recall, vmodas Mic has a hug impedance but not the cable that feeds audio to your ears. That may be the reason why there was a reduction of that "hiss"

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #446 of 2,061
Cables are very subjective in.my opinion. I'm no expert or pro either and I'm still in the learning process but in my own experience, this is what's happening. Now if you believe me or not it's up to you but I could agree it can't be the cable, it can also be the cable because maybe I got a defective one? I don't know but when I used the V Moda boom pro Mic, the" hissing was barely noticeable. This was while using a sound blaster z and a recon3d sub. Some people could say it's the source, some the cable etc. I don't own just a pair of these SHP9500, I have an AKG K7XX, Fidelio X1 and X2, M50 MA900, Momentum Over ears, Sennhesier PC350 SE. I used all of those with the sounds blaster z and recon3d and non of them gave me that "hiss". I don't recall calling it cable hiss but I did mention there was some hiss going on and that replacing the cable made things better. I'm not the only in this thread who mentions it. Some others also mentioned i Ned the hiss and that by replacing the cable, made it better. Maybe the headphones are a bit sensitive depending on source or maybe some defect in the headphone or in the cable or maybe you need your ears checked if you can't hear the small differences (not being rude, since some people have ear damage and can't hear certain frequencies or the low end of a sound)

The whole cable thing is debatable or even a placebo.

I just mentioned it because someone else mentioned it and I wasn't the only one, so I had to put in my opinion an experience as well.

I also own some of those same headphones and can attest to what you are saying. SHP9500 does exhibit some hiss that is noticeable compared to some of those other headphones. The vmoda cable does seem to tame it a bit. I'd like to think that these are very sensitive headphones that allows you to amplify imperfections in your source (content, DAC, amplifier etc.). 

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #449 of 2,061
i did the earpad mod- used clear plastic tubing from hardware store under the earpads, cost less than 1$- a little more clarity on highs and mids, larger stage, and tighter -not more- bass. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #450 of 2,061
Going to leave a note for those who are interested in doing the earpad mod, be gentle around the connector on the left cup. It would seem that mine has developed a loose wire and the left side cuts out intermittently. At first I assumed it was the cable, but I used it with other headphones without issue and I can replicate the problem using a second cable. That said, the mod does indeed improve this headphone. Personally, I wouldn't buy this headphone without intent to mod it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back