Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #451 of 2,061
i did the earpad mod- used clear plastic tubing from hardware store under the earpads, cost less than 1$- a little more clarity on highs and mids, larger stage, and tighter -not more- bass. 

What size tubing? I was thinking about using rolled up tissue paper.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #452 of 2,061
What size tubing? I was thinking about using rolled up tissue paper.

I dont remember the size-i bought a few different sizes from OSH- they sell by the foot. Here's a pic, I used qtips to hold the ends together. The tubing costs next to nothing -be sure to buy too much in case of mistakes

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #453 of 2,061
45.94 shipped from Newegg:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8039629-philips-shp9500-black-over-ear-headphones-for-45-94-shipped-newegg-com?v=1

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #454 of 2,061
Now I listened for a few weeks and have to admit, they sound amazing.

But when I put the by any mean not bass heavy Sennheiser HD558 I immediately notice that the Philips bass is rolled off ...

This is the biggest minus point of the SHP-9500. Such a huge massive driver and no bass... I don't get it.

Still because of that I think the HD558 sounds more complete and to me better.

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #455 of 2,061
  Now I listened for a few weeks and have to admit, they sound amazing.

But when I put the by any mean not nass heavy Sennheiser HD558 I immediately notice that the Philips bass is rolled off ...

This is the biggest minus point of the SHP-9500. Such a huge massive driver and no bass... I don't get it.

Still because of that I think the HD558 sounds more complete and to me better.

Bass isnt everything my friend.

This is what gives its great imaging and seperation of instruments. You cant always have the best of three worlds. There will always be major compromises with headphones in this price range.

For gaming, if you ask me....they seem to be great competitive gaming headphones. Seriously, I can distinguish sounds with more seperation and representation. Soundstage is affected but nothing too bad that everything sounds right in your face.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #456 of 2,061
I really don't think the word "great" should be used to describe any aspect of these headphones. Maybe in regard to comfort, but that's about it. Their imaging, separation, and overall resolution are just good, not great. Not headphones, but my HiFiMAN RE-400s made me realize that the SHP9500s are not great. They are solid and seem just about right at $50, but I wouldn't get the with that high of expectations.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #457 of 2,061
  I really don't think the word "great" should be used to describe any aspect of these headphones. Maybe in regard to comfort, but that's about it. Their imaging, separation, and overall resolution are just good, not great. Not headphones, but my HiFiMAN RE-400s made me realize that the SHP9500s are not great. They are solid and seem just about right at $50, but I wouldn't get the with that high of expectations.

Just got these this morning and am listening to them now.  I'm wondering what other headphones out there at $50 could match or beat these because they don't sound like anything I've ever tried at $50 or below.  Admittedly, I haven't tried that many open headphones in the past though.

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #458 of 2,061

Well bruh, you are comparing a planarmagentic against a dynamic driver lol and price difference is of 250 bucks :p.

You have to remember that these headphones initially cost around 200 when they first released and then they were at a regular price of 70 to 90 dollars. I remember buying them off ebay as well since some places didnt really have them and at 80 dollars, it was a fair price for me. The 80 dollar price almost made me seem to wonder how they would compare to the AD500X or AD700X.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #459 of 2,061

Just got these this morning and am listening to them now.  I'm wondering what other headphones out there at $50 could match or beat these because they don't sound like anything I've ever tried at $50 or below.  Admittedly, I haven't tried that many open headphones in the past though.

Right, I feel like they would compete will within their price range. That still doesn't make them great though, in my opinion. 

Well bruh, you are comparing a planarmagentic against a dynamic driver lol and price difference is of 250 bucks :p.

You have to remember that these headphones initially cost around 200 when they first released and then they were at a regular price of 70 to 90 dollars. I remember buying them off ebay as well since some places didnt really have them and at 80 dollars, it was a fair price for me. The 80 dollar price almost made me seem to wonder how they would compare to the AD500X or AD700X.

You must have misread what  I wrote; I was comparing these Philips headphones to the $80 HifiMAN RE-400 earphones.

I have these headphone and use them a lot. I'm not claiming to be an expert on them, these are just my impressions. I do like them though and do not think they are a bad headphone. Cheers!

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #460 of 2,061

Right, I feel like they would compete will within their price range. That still doesn't make them great though, in my opinion. 

Guess I was thinking you could name some HPs for $50 that would be just as good or better than the SHP9500s.  Do you know of any?  Just curious.

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #461 of 2,061
Was thinking of buying these headphones. I mainly listen to heavy metal and folk music. How do they perform compared to $150 headphones?

And do you think they would benefit a lot in terms of sound quality from an external DAC? Mainly would use them on a PC with onbaord soundcard that, apparently, can drive headphones of up to 600 ohms.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #462 of 2,061

You must have misread what  I wrote; I was comparing these Philips headphones to the $80 HifiMAN RE-400 earphones.

I have these headphone and use them a lot. I'm not claiming to be an expert on them, these are just my impressions. I do like them though and do not think they are a bad headphone. Cheers!

Ha, your right. RE not HE my bad lol. Wait, aren't those IEMs?

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #463 of 2,061

Guess I was thinking you could name some HPs for $50 that would be just as good or better than the SHP9500s.  Do you know of any?  Just curious.

Oh, I didn't know that you were directly asking me what other headphones could beat or match these in their price range.

I too am like you, and haven't had much experience with many open-back headphones. I was eyeing the Samson SR850 (http://www.amazon.com/Samson-SR850-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B002LBSEQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439677228&sr=8-1&keywords=samson+sr850) though. Based on the reviews I've read, they could be a good competitor to the SHP9500s. And then there are the Takstar and Superlux cans as well. They are all within the relative price range with open-back designs. and all three look to be Chinese companies. 

I actually really want the Samsons and might pick up a pair soon. I was thinking of getting the closed-back SR950 seeing as though I don't really need another open-back pair, but I can't help but want more.The large, velour pads are a big reason why I want a pair so much.

Ha, your right. RE not HE my bad lol. Wait, aren't those IEMs?

Lol no problem. And yup, they are IEMs. Currently $80 on Amazon. Going back to them after using my SHP9500s for a long time really made me believe that the RE-400s are just on another level of sound quality, so to speak. I definitely can see (or hear, I should say) why they have gotten so much praise around here. I just wish they were more durable. I'm on my warranty pair, and even they are starting to go bad after about seven months of use. I'll most likely keep them even after they die though and have them recabled. That's how much I like them.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #464 of 2,061
Was thinking of buying these headphones. I mainly listen to heavy metal and folk music. How do they perform compared to $150 headphones?

And do you think they would benefit a lot in terms of sound quality from an external DAC? Mainly would use them on a PC with onbaord soundcard that, apparently, can drive headphones of up to 600 ohms.

I have SHP9500, Q701 and modded T50RP at work and when I don't need high isolation (Momentum) I always use the SHP9500 now - personal preference YMMV etc.
They are pretty easy to drive, I use Fiio X3 as USB DAC/amp (or E7/E10 if X3 left at home) because on board sound of my work PC is not nice.

Edit: btw SHP9500 have rubber rings inserted, Q701 bass mod - home phones HD650.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #465 of 2,061
I have had the samsons. There is no comparison. The samsons are decent budget headphones but there are better in the price tange. The shp9500 is a gem at 50$, I got one at 90$ and was very happy with it. I have also had the ad500x and ad900x. I prefer the 9500 over both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back