Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Aug 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #691 of 1,072
Anyone know if foam tips would round out the treble a bit? I'm finding the upper range just a tad too bright.

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #692 of 1,072
Aug 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #694 of 1,072
Quote:
Only $4? Are these real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHE3590PK-10-In-Ear-Headphones-Pink-/321196697787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac8d0a8bb

It's a very unpopular color.
Same seller sells the black version for 14.47$...

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #695 of 1,072
Quote:
i feel like this thread has turned into a how great is this iem with EQing to simply how great is this iem...
the iem without eqing isnt that spectacular

Quote:
Let's just say that the bar for spectacular sound at this price without parametric EQ isn't that high...
rolleyes.gif

I think I should chime in here - I am one of those who likes the sound of the unEQ SHE3580.

Of course people don't know me from Adam so this is just one opinion.
BUT let me quote a few people with better credentials than me:

ljokerl  from his giant reference thread: Multi-IEM Review - 294 IEMs compared
although ljokerl hasn't done a review of the SHE3580 yet (it's been in his (001) Upcoming Reviews for ages) - he does reference the SHE3580 several times -
but NOT a single mention of having to use any  EQ:
Quote:
(3B34) JVC HA-FX40

The carbon nanotube drivers found at the heart of the FX40 are most impressive in the bass region – the bass is definitely enhanced but far from overbearing. It lacks the absolute extension of sets such as the VSonic GR99 and Philips SHE3580 but still digs plenty deep without jeopardizing control. The treble-heavy nature of the earphones can diminish the relative emphasis placed on the low end but the bass of the FX40 is not to be underestimated – it is quick and impactful, forming a solid backbone for the sound.

Bass bleed is quite low – the Philips SHE 3580 and Brainwavz Beta, two competing v-shaped IEMs, have stronger upper bass response and sound warmer than the FX40. The JVCs are recessed through much of the midrange, though the response picks up towards the upper mids. Vocals, especially male vocals, are too far back in the mix on many tracks. High levels of clarity and detail are probably the most impressive aspect of the mids, though some of the perceived clarity comes from emphasis in the upper midrange and treble. This effect is similar to using a treble booster EQ setting (e.g. BBE’s “Crystal Clear” preset) and highly reminiscent of the far pricier PureSound ClarityOne earphones.

The resolution of the FX40 is still very good but there is another similarity to the PureSound Clarity One – the note presentation is on the thin side. The Philips SHE3580 and id America Spark, for example, both give up a bit of resolution to the FX40 but have a thicker, more fleshed-out note. While both of these earphones also sound colored, their note presentation seems a bit more natural than that of the FX40. The treble of the FX40 is emphasized overall and not entirely smooth but it is not as harsh or sibilant as one may expect from an earphone with enhanced treble response – a little splashy and fatiguing over long listening sessions, but generally tame. The tone is on the bright side, with plenty of energy and a tendency to emphasize cymbal crashes and the initial ‘crack’ of drums. The result of all this coloration, combined with the thinner note presentation, is that the fidelity of the FX40 can swing widely from great to poor depending on track.

(3B37) JVC HA-FX101

Sound (6.2/10) – JVC’s follow-up to the popular FX1X model, the FX101 has no trouble delivering on promises of copious bass despite its smaller 8.5mm drivers. Its low end is not as loose as that of the older FX1X model and yet the FX101 sacrifices nothing in the way of impact or bass depth. Its bass puts it among the hardest-hitting in-ears on the market, though as usual the low end grunt comes at a price. The bass is on the boomy side compared to sets such as the Philips SHE3580 and can be very intrusive. Happily, the FX101 probably won’t be purchased by those looking for anything less than a bass monster.

(3B39) TDK MT300

Sound (5.5/10) – The MT300 is an entry-level earphone with a bass-heavy, consumer-oriented sound. It impresses with the depth and power of its sub-bass response, though there is also mid-bass to match. The bass emphasis of the MT300 gives it a full-bodied, albeit boomy, sound. The Philips SHE3580, which is also rather bass-heavy, keeps its bloat to a minimum due to its thinner, quicker note presentation but the MT300 is not quite so capable, sounding thicker and more bloated.

The weighty low end of the MT300 dominates the sound, producing a veil over the midrange and treble. Comparing the MT300 to the aging MEElectronics M9 reveals a lack of mid-bass bloat - and veiling - with the MEElecs but at the same time shows that the MT300’s mid-bass gives it a warmer, fuller sound with thicker, more natural mids. The midrange of the MT300 is recessed compared to the bass, but not too much so. The mids of the Philips SHE3580, for example, appear more recessed, likely due to its thinner sound and slightly more v-shaped response.

(3A70) Philips O'Neill Tread SHO2200

Sound (6/10) - Philips has focused mostly on style and durability with the O’Neill line but the sound quality of the Tread is still respectable for the asking price. While the marketing materials promise good bass depth, in reality the Tread puts out mostly mid-bass and suffers from mild low-end roll-off. The low end is punchy, however - impact is about on-par with the similarly-priced Klipsch Image S3 and lags just behind Philips’ cheaper SHE3580 model. The SHE3580 also has better sub-bass presence and sounds fuller and warmer. The MEElectronics M9, on the other hand, also has greater bass quantity but lags behind the Tread in quality, sounding boomy and muddy in comparison.

Cons: Slightly cold and thin-sounding; sound does not measure up to cheaper SHE3580 model

(3A81) LG Quadbeat HSS-F420

The midrange of the Quadbeat is clear and detailed, cleaner of bass bleed than the mids of the Philips SHE3580 and Astrotec AM-800, for example. Note thickness is similar to the VSonic VC02 and again lacking some of the fullness of sets like the Sony MH1C and VSonic VSD1.

Dsnuts from his The discovery thread.!

Quote:
Now for the Philips SHE 3580

I would first like to thank Joe Bloggs for his review and JupiterKnight who insisted I take a listen to these $9-$14 iems. Please visit this thead and read the review by Joe Bloggs

http://www.head-fi.org/t/561951/philips-she3580-iem-review-10-giant-killers-er-4p-gathering-dust

Oh here we go yet another Fotm.. No pindexter!! You better read his review as I agree with evete about these. These not only compete with the MP8320 easily they compete with the Isurus as well..These put the other cheaper iems in their respective places and simply leaves them behind. The sound quality on these are simply mind blowing.. I was originally going to do a Thermaltake Isurus thread but I had to throw these in here as well..

Anyone that hears these will have nothing to complain about. The size of these little iems are so small they will fit an infant. The only complaint I have is they do have a build quality of a cheaper Iem the cord has memory and is a stiffer rubbery material which does emit some microphonics.  But it was the sound quality that floored me. Without a doubt in my mind these are the best sounding headphones Philips makes. I truly doubt they have anything better and to test this I went ahead a purchased these.

Although Dsnuts does reference both Joe Bloggs and this thread - there was no qualification of him using EQ -
OK, I'm willing to accept this may not be as clear cut as ljokerl  in Multi-IEM Review - 294 IEMs compared

BUT the real killer is this one:
Opening post of this thread by Joe Bloggs
Quote:
Edit 2011-12-26:  I know I kind of implied in my review that they need EQ to sound great but you know what?  It may all be down to personal preference.  AFAICT these have a V shaped sound signatrue but I always have trouble picking out vocals from instruments whichever phones I use so this may just be personal bias kicking in.  I showed these to my brother and let him hear it with and without my "setting for everybody" EQ and he even preferred the original sound!

Of course all this is down to personal preference - nevertheless the Philips SHE3580 (and now the SHE3590) seem to be great by concensus with or withOUT EQ.

Sep 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #696 of 1,072
Quote:

I think I should chime in here - I am one of those who likes the sound of the unEQ SHE3580.

Of course people don't know me from Adam so this is just one opinion.
BUT let me quote a few people with better credentials than me:

joker doesn't use EQ because he doesn't have time to review everything with and without EQ.

Certainly the SHE35XX is not a bad performer without EQ (better than many 'audiophile' products) but it is vastly better with EQ to remove the treble peaks even preserving the v-shape if that's what you prefer.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #697 of 1,072
Quote:
joker doesn't use EQ because he doesn't have time to review everything with and without EQ.

Certainly the SHE35XX is not a bad performer without EQ (better than many 'audiophile' products) but it is vastly better with EQ to remove the treble peaks even preserving the v-shape if that's what you prefer.

Thanks for confirming that joker does not use EQ. 

Although he has not published his full review of the SHE3580 - it seems he is using the SHE3580 as a reference in 5 reviews - 4 are where SHE3580 are said to be better in the areas cited, and only one where it is not as good - but the fact is joker is using the SHE3580 as a reference - without EQ.

There are lots of posts asking about the SHE3580 in joker's thread - this was interesting
post #11283 toward the bottom of joker's post where he says:

Quote:
Quote:
Hey joker, I bought the SHE3580 and was looking for an upgrade and was hoping you could help me out. I was looking for something with more bass than the SHE3580, better build quality and slightly better isolation. Any suggestions?

Hmm… that sounds like the Yamaha EPH-100 to me. Great bass with good depth, very good isolation for a dynamic-driver earphone, and the build is pretty solid.

Then a comment in post #11295 by garcsa :

Quote:
Am I right that the Philips is some 15 USD - and the Yamaha is some 150 USD ? What we're talking about   ???  
blink.gif

I absolutely take your point about EQ - I have tried EQ with my various players, tablets and on my PC - and although I can obviously hear a difference from the pretty drastic settings recommended in this thread - I actually prefer the "flat" unEQ sound from all those devices - I realize that my A/B testing is mostly starting from unEQ to adjusting and turning EQ on - but once the custom EQ is set I can switch between the two - volume differences does not help - as I followed the advice of not having any slider above 0 so as not to cause possible distortion.

Perhaps it's just my ears and personal preference but I prefer the the unEQ sound, it has "sizzle" - and although I am not a dye in the wool aficionado of IEMs - I consider myself pretty fussy about what I hear - I listen to a lot of live music - almost every night of the week - sometimes more than one act per night.

Yes, I only own cheaper IEMs - but I also own the now legendary Sony MDR-V6 - since the 80's shortly after they first came out (See joker's review: (B21) Sony MDR-V6 in Shootout: 107 Portable Headphones Reviewed ) The MDR-V6 may be a bit too bright for my current tastes, but still sound really good, with good but not intrusive extended bass - and those had been my benchmark since.  This probably means I am now sensitive to overly-bright balance, and although the SHE3580 does have "tizz" it is not overly-bright - to me.  YMMV.

Thanks

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #700 of 1,072
Quote:
That's fair, I can't tell you what to like or not like.

Thank you for your understanding.

However the main point I was trying to make, regardless of my personal preferences, was people with much better credentials than me -
like ljokerl, are making numerous sound quality references and comparisons with NO EQ

Thanks

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #701 of 1,072
  Thank you for your understanding.

However the main point I was trying to make, regardless of my personal preferences, was people with much better credentials than me -
like ljokerl, are making numerous sound quality references and comparisons with NO EQ

Thanks

I don't disagree. As I said, the 3580 is "better than many 'audiophile' products".

I've been listening to the SHE7000 more and they're definitely a step up from the SHE3500. Similar sound but more linear treble. Especially considering I paid <$10 for it.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #702 of 1,072
When i saw the tread title I thought someone must be exaggerating, and then I saw the page count. Needless to say I had to have a try, so for 15 bucks I got myself a pair of white ones.

Up until now I thought the JVC marshmallows were the cheap iem reference, man was I in for a surprise...

These, despite their build quality, sound-wise punch way above their weight, anyone would easily confuse them with other iems costing 5-8x as much in a blind test. Its mostly the build quality that gives their cheapness away.

No burn-in, no eq they just plain blew the JVC out of the water.. I then compared them with some denons 260 and things became more leveled. Some say the denons are way too bass heavy, i didnt think so, maybe I need new tips. Anyway I think I still prefer these as the sound is just more rounded-out, much more airy then the jvc & denons along with good bass extension.

Very impressed with these, as they become my new cheap iem reference.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #703 of 1,072
So I mistakenly ordered the ones with an inline mic/control, thinking they'd be the same. Model SHE3575. Well, I wasn't all that impressed. A little bit sibilant and upper mids are too forward. Soundstage is also quite small, though sub bass extension was pretty nice.. overall though, not an enjoyable listening experience for me.

Since they were slightly out of balance, the left ear being a little louder, I contacted the seller for a replacement. I asked them to send me a set of the SHE3590, since they were only $2, probably because they were purple (I guess no one likes the color, but I could honestly care less at this point what color they are), and also mentioned I'd rather a set without the inline mic.

Well I just have to say there's a very large difference in sound quality between the two. Soundstage is noticeably larger/wider. There is still a little bit of sibilance, but I suspect will tame with some burn-in. The clarity and overall presentation is cleaner, clearer and definitely more pleasant to my ears. Sub bass extension is about the same, but feels somewhat fuller, without being bloated. No mid bass bump, which is nice since I find that obnoxious.

For $2, hell, even for $10 or $15, these have an impressive sound. Better than anything else I've listened to that costs two or three times the price (ex: Klipsch S4).

Still nowhere as versatile as the Yahama EPH100 they're replacing (mine met an unfortunate death by beating out of frustration), but since I don't have the $$ to replace those, these will definitely do for the time being.

I've ordered some black foam tips to try out with them.. and on the hunt for a good deal on some medium sized Sony Hybrid tips (don't want to buy the full set when I only need the mediums).

-------
[EDIT: Ok, I feel a little stupid.... forgot I had the EQ turned on in iTunes. Just turned it off now and giving these a good listen.. will do some A/B'ing between the two, but from what I can tell so far, these still sound better.. soundstage is definitely wider/larger).]

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #705 of 1,072
I'm surprised I actually found these SHE3590 awhile ago. They were pretty good, especially for 15 bucks but the bass really was kinda dominant. Nothing special about them because of the whole overdone v shape sound signature, but they were very smooth and musical sounding. About on par with the soundmagic e10 and a *little* less neutral than the ckm55

There are some things the she3590 does effortlessly that I wish these etys could but for now these $20 are my new IEM reference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back