Philips SBC-HP1000 appreciation
Apr 5, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean
Now that's strange, because I'm actually very satisfied with the bass extension. It goes very deep IMHO, but as you can see in the frequency response diagram the usual low frequency hump isn't there, which could make it seem a little light for some. Perhaps your amp/source is to blame?

As far as build quality goes, yes, they look and feel a little fragile, but I've been using them a lot now for over a year, dropped them to the floor several times, and they are still as good as new...

As far as the bass goes it might be faintly audiable, but it's definatley not "present", it lacks body, atleast for me. I've used them with 5 or so soundcards, the Harmony Design EAR9, mixing tables, mobile phones, portable CD players and such for more than two years, pretty much every day. The sound quality is fairly good as I stated, I paid €140 for mine when I bought them, and they might be worth that much. They are a good buy for €100.

Still, they are quite far from perfect, and those flaws, combined with the poor build quality, is the reason why I can't praise them without a limit.

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by OliT
As far as the bass goes it might be faintly audiable, but it's definatley not "present", it lacks body, atleast for me. I've used them with 5 or so soundcards, the Harmony Design EAR9, mixing tables, mobile phones, portable CD players and such for more than two years, pretty much every day. The sound quality is fairly good as I stated, I paid €140 for mine when I bought them, and they might be worth that much. They are a good buy for €100.

Still, they are quite far from perfect, and those flaws, combined with the poor build quality, is the reason why I can't praise them without a limit.

Ok, I hear you. And I agree, the lowest bass lacks body. However, what headphones are you comparing to when you are saying that? To my ears the HP1000 have stronger bass than the dt880, which is considered light but deep for example. And then again the bass of the hd650 is much better defined with more body, but the price is about 3 times higher. But my point wasn't to say the Philips HP1000 are the best headphones ever(which they clearly are not), but that they are very good for their price. They are fairly unknown on this forum but should be considered as an alternative for example the Sennheiser HD595.

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean
Ok, I hear you. And I agree, the lowest bass lacks body. However, what headphones are you comparing to when you are saying that? To my ears the HP1000 have stronger bass than the dt880, which is considered light but deep for example. And then again the bass of the hd650 is much better defined with more body, but the price is about 3 times higher. But my point wasn't to say the Philips HP1000 are the best headphones ever(which they clearly are not), but that they are very good for their price. They are fairly unknown on this forum but should be considered as an alternative for example the Sennheiser HD595.

I compare them to the headphones in my signature, however the K701 still have more than a few burn-in hours on them. It's more of a general finding however, a slightly more powerful bass would contribute to making them better overall.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #21 of 51
I haven't tried SR60 or KSC75, but they are to my ears more detailed and refined than for example MS-1, which isn't strange, since they are rock-ish.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #23 of 51
The thing that I do not like about the HP1000, is the looks, they are butugly..

But other than that they are really nice phones, nice datailed and OK bass and highs..

They are a little bit to polite for my taste, but it is a little sad to see that they get so little attention around here, because for the price they are quite hard to beat..

I have got the set with an amp/dac called HP1500 and it was very cheap 125 € on german ebay, and in that price range, it is hard to see them being beaten by anything, in terms of SQ/€ ratio...The phones alone are 129€ in retail..

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #24 of 51
Hey guys, I just got a pair of this great sounding and value headphone! The soundstage is really wide, nice highs and bass is considered ok. Overall, I find it really a worthwhile headphone to own. I would prefer this headphone any time over the ms1 or the sr80. It has so much wider soundstage. However, the downside of this headphone is that it is quite bulky. Other than that, it is considered very value for money. The detachable cable is also very useful. This can is also very comfortable. A good buy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where'd you get it?

It has been discontinued for a while now, and AFAIK Philips has not made a sequel of any sort to it. I guess they realised "Wait no! We are not supposed to make audiophile headphones, just bloated el-cheapo-crapola headphones!". Unfortunately.
frown.gif

There are still some Philips dolby-headphone DSP amp set on market (forgot model name) which contains a Philips HP1000 headphones.

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been discontinued for a while now, and AFAIK Philips has not made a sequel of any sort to it. I guess they realised "Wait no! We are not supposed to make audiophile headphones, just bloated el-cheapo-crapola headphones!". Unfortunately.
frown.gif

There are still some Philips dolby-headphone DSP amp set on market (forgot model name) which contains a Philips HP1000 headphones.

You can still buy it in most of the german shops I visit..
Saturn, Mediamarkt both are big chains, so they must have a big stock stashed somewhere..

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #29 of 51
Yikes. You know you've been here too long when you clearly remember an obscure thread like this one yet you were sure it was started in April, 2007.

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where'd you get it?

I got it frm Jaben in Singapore. Not sure if they ship this headphone worldwide. But u can check with them. Definitely a better buy over the ms1 and sr80 especially for those who likes wide soundstage and doesn't like the grados,alessandro sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back