Philips SBC-HP1000 appreciation
Jul 17, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #47 of 51
My HP1000 is just in. It is surprisingly light for such a large looking headphone. I am now listening to get a good understanding of its sound. An initial impression, laid back and detailed. How detailed is not clear yet close to my DF.

Update: I am impressed. This headphone is a bit of a chameleon, quite versatile and the sound is more than just good.

Update II: I can almost safely say I am done with new headphones. This headphone is what I have been looking for.  

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #48 of 51
I've got these headphones but I'm really just starting to learn about audio. Can anyone recommend an amp to go with the HP1000?
A quick search has some rave reviews for these cans with "Secret Amp" http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/972446 
But I'd rather try something that's easier to get than scouring forums. Right now I'm just using my FiiO e5 but I know these headphones can do so much better.

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #49 of 51
Just in case anyone still has an opportunity to try these headphones they do come up second hand or new old stock clearance sales and if you get the opportunity it is worth having a try for something different
As the trend for bass heavy headphones continues some of the more neutral headphones are a welcome relief.
As a collector of headphones with over 80 currently in possession I would recommend these as a much cheaper alternative to the HD558 or even the HD598 by sennheiser for relaxing listening to wide variety of genres.
These are very large (similar in size to the AD700 audio technica) and not the most attractive in my opinion but they are very comfortable and in some long listening sessions felt they were more comfortable than the HD598
In comparison to the recently released philips SHP9500 these are much warmer sounding and while the SHP9500 are very good looking and comfortable they are a brighter sounding headphone which can sound a bit harsh on some genres
I have read some comparisons to the old SBC HP890 - these in my view are no where close to the HP1000 and while retro in looks and comfort are not to be compared.
In some ways the most similar sounding philips model is the very impressive X1 - I actually wondered if they used the HP1000 as a template for this sound refining the bass and giving a decent build and looks.
We have so many options now for great sounding headphones and while philips is not well thought of in the audiophile community they  have made some very good headphones and I think this is one of them and when going back in time and then comparing them side by side with the many headphones I have I would rate them in the top 10 of the 80+  I currently own along with the Sennheiser Momentum, Kef M500, Sennheiser amperior, Ultrasone HFi 690, Beyerdynamic DT990, Ultrasone pro 2500, Senheiser HD598, philips x1 and one set i use more than any of the above - the little known or reviewed yamaha HPH 200 which I think is a great sounding open on ear that can be found very cheap.

Nov 13, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #50 of 51
Could you compare them to the hd598 and the hph200?  I have the Philips hp1000 and they do seem similar to the Senn hd598.  I like the airy soundstage and the imaging is almost as accurate as the Philips x1 but more airy than x1 due to less bass and a peak in the mids for clear vocals.  I like x1 as well so I am keeping both headphones. I also had the Philips hp890 but found them to have too much treble and a left/right style soundstage.  Don't know if I'll get many responses as this is an old thread and the hp1000 are very rare these days.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #51 of 51
Hello happy head-fiers !
Rare it is, the PHILIPS SBC-HP1000 wonderfull cans.
Thus one is for sale here on the bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162129024256?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks.
Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back