Philips Golden Ears challenge
Oct 11, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #305 of 331
Finished Golden Ears last night with my Monoprice 8323 plugged straight into my Lenovo laptop.  The hardest parts for me were the high frequency tests (surprised I passed that!) and the bitrate.  I found the easiest way was to not try to pick out specific sounds but to just listen to the music and then it became obvious.  The bitrate test is especially useful for those that debate what size files they should be storing/playing.  I'll stick with high def.

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #306 of 331
  The bitrate test is especially useful for those that debate what size files they should be storing/playing.  I'll stick with high def.

I don't think so, as we have no idea what encoder or settings were used and the highest bitrate tested is only 160 kbps or lower.

With the latest iTunes AAC or Lame MP3 encoder using higher bit rates, the differences become exceptionally challenging to hear.  If anything, the bitrate test should cause many people to reconsider using one of the various subscription streaming services and save any purchases for the occasional gems that are discovered.

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #307 of 331

I don't think so, as we have no idea what encoder or settings were used and the highest bitrate tested is only 160 kbps or lower.

With the latest iTunes AAC or Lame MP3 encoder using higher bit rates, the differences become exceptionally challenging to hear.  If anything, the bitrate test should cause many people to reconsider using one of the various subscription streaming services and save any purchases for the occasional gems that are discovered.

If we can pick out differences in tracks we don't know, what about tracks we know extremely well? I think Lossless has its place for storage purposes as once you transcode the information you have lost can never be regained. Also, considering buying an mp3 album or CD cost about the same you might as well control as much of your setup as possible. If you have "perfect" files its one less thing to worry about when it comes to quality.

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #308 of 331
  If we can pick out differences in tracks we don't know, what about tracks we know extremely well?

I think we overestimate our long-term audio memory. More useful in a test would be general experience in hearing the artifacts that lossy codecs produce.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #309 of 331

I think we overestimate our long-term audio memory. More useful in a test would be general experience in hearing the artifacts that lossy codecs produce.

I found that trying to "listen" for specific artifacts was difficult.  Especially on my low fi setup.  But when I just listened to the music and stopped trying to focus on differences, it became obvious.  So practice in hearing artifacts may be helpful but I'm not sure its necessary.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #310 of 331

I found that trying to "listen" for specific artifacts was difficult.  Especially on my low fi setup.  But when I just listened to the music and stopped trying to focus on differences, it became obvious.  So practice in hearing artifacts may be helpful but I'm not sure its necessary.

For passing the GE test, probably not. My comment was addressing higher rates and/or newer codecs and how our memory of a song would help us differentiate them versus the uncompressed file.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #313 of 331
Dec 16, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #314 of 331

Finally! Came across this challenge a couple days ago while browsing the X2 thread as I just got these not too long ago. Thought I'd give it a shot. Most everything was fairly straight-forward, although I definitely struggled for a long time with the MP3 bit rate challenge in the Silver Ears section. After that, the only other tall task was the frequency bands on music. As others stated, though, that one seemed to be more about memorization than anything else.

Feels good to have finally completed this after having so much trouble with the bit rate portion :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back