Philips Golden Ears challenge
Dec 29, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #316 of 331
Fun and educational. I was surprised how little difference bit rate makes and I'm pretty convinced that anything above 320 is going to be insignificant for me, even with really challenging music.

Equipment was Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 through a Teac HA-50P (yes, you can do it with moderately priced gear)

May 9, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #319 of 331
So I know this is an old thread, but it appears that golden ears has just been shut down by Philips. I spoke with Philips support chat person and confirmed, although they did not know a reason for shutting it down:

ME: did you guys kill golden ears?

Salvador: Let me look into that Oleg, okay?

ME: thanks!

Salvador: It is not available anymore Oleg.

ME: that's a shame

Salvador: I do not have any information on why was that decision made

ME: is there anyone to contact whom I can discuss what a shame this is? :)

Salvador: At the bottom you will see a phone number which will provide you the right department.

ME: at the bottom of what, sorry?

Salvador: Sorry Oleg, forgot to press enter to provide you the link

Salvador: http://www.usa.philips.com/c-w/support-home/support-contact-page.html

May 9, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #320 of 331
  So I know this is an old thread, but it appears that golden ears has just been shut down by Philips. I spoke with Philips support chat person and confirmed, although they did not know a reason for shutting it down:

ME: did you guys kill golden ears?

Salvador: Let me look into that Oleg, okay?

ME: thanks!

Salvador: It is not available anymore Oleg.

ME: that's a shame

Salvador: I do not have any information on why was that decision made

ME: is there anyone to contact whom I can discuss what a shame this is? :)

Salvador: At the bottom you will see a phone number which will provide you the right department.

ME: at the bottom of what, sorry?

Salvador: Sorry Oleg, forgot to press enter to provide you the link

Salvador: http://www.usa.philips.com/c-w/support-home/support-contact-page.html

Sad news, it was a great tool for visualizing the changes in audio. You can still DL the harman trained listener one, but it's a old and hobbled together program. It ultimately does a better job IMO but it's not as pretty/easy to pick up for beginners as the GE site.

May 9, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #321 of 331
This really is a shame.  Hopefully they will release the program and not delete it and put it to waste.  Perhaps if Head-fi and others petition them we can get them to put it back up or to release the code.

May 25, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #324 of 331
Wow, this really saddens me right now, since I just heard about this TODAY and now of course would give my right arm to try the challenge!

triportsad.gif

Hopefully Philips is going to think this over.... 

May 26, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #326 of 331
  It's unlikely that they will think this over. I was informed that everyone who was involved in this project moved when Philips sold their subsidiary to Gibson.

Oh, wow, I didn't know about that.

Too bad they didn't leave the files on their servers or at least offer the website files for download.

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #330 of 331
  Sadly, I missed it. But I'm wondering if Youtube would have something comparable.
But then again, that site might have inherent audio limitations, correct?

Harman how to listen is the only software that will have what you are looking for. It was linked previously in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back