Philips Fidelio X3
Jul 23, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #1,562 of 1,964
I'm trying these for the first time this week. I've had the X2 and X2HR for years now, both are lots of fun but bass bloated and a bit muddy here and there (which is why they're so fun). I've read plenty of comments dismissing the X3 because of the reigned in bass. My opinion is that a new headphone to the range should sound different, otherwise what's the point?

So far I'm really enjoying them, I picked them up for £170 on Amazon Warehouse. They're worth that all day long. Just as the HD650 is a great accompaniment for the HD600, the X3 is a perfect accompaniment for the X2/X2HR. The smell of that leather fresh out of the box! Like getting a new pair of leather trainers.

If they'd have stuck to a single input (allowing you to use with a mod mic), they'd be an even better gaming headphone than the X2.

I'm not sure if I'll be keeping them (I've got a few other similarly tuned headphones), but I had to try them and easily recommend these to anyone who owns the X2 and wants something to go with it (not replace it). They're a very different tuning and shouldn't be compared to each other by the tuning alone, it's like comparing the X2 to the HD600, they're very different. Bottom line, technically these are better than the X2/X2HR, if I had to pick one I'd take the X3.

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,563 of 1,964
Anyone use these for gaming?

I owned the X2HR in the past, and they were phenomenal for single player games due to that theatre-like bass and soundstage. Unfortunately, while immersive they weren't great in competitive games like FPS as directional audio was sort of difficult to decipher due to the over powering bass.

I would assume the X3 would be a better competitive gaming headphone than the X2HR as it seems to have toned down bass and better clarity. Does anyone use it for gaming?

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,564 of 1,964
Anyone use these for gaming?

I owned the X2HR in the past, and they were phenomenal for single player games due to that theatre-like bass and soundstage. Unfortunately, while immersive they weren't great in competitive games like FPS as directional audio was sort of difficult to decipher due to the over powering bass.

I would assume the X3 would be a better competitive gaming headphone than the X2HR as it seems to have toned down bass and better clarity. Does anyone use it for gaming?
It’s excellent for gaming. Better than the X2 in my opinion. No mic option though, including the antlion modmic, no idea how you’d stick those clasps on.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,565 of 1,964
It’s excellent for gaming. Better than the X2 in my opinion. No mic option though, including the antlion modmic, no idea how you’d stick those clasps on
From what I've read you can use a BTR5 or Qudelix-5K or something like that as a mic option. Unsure of what else works unfortunately.
Update: This does not work, tried myself

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,566 of 1,964
I hate to sound like a broken record but is there any sort of consensus on using Dekoni choice leather or choice suede on the X3? Zeos seems to like them but community feedback seems to be very mixed, even for the audiophile community.

Cheers.

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #1,567 of 1,964
I hate to sound like a broken record but is there any sort of consensus on using Dekoni choice leather or choice suede on the X3? Zeos seems to like them but community feedback seems to be very mixed, even for the audiophile community.

Cheers.

I hace choice suede and I hate it. Paid 50€ to use it 10m and can't stand the sound change. Confort is top notch tho.

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,569 of 1,964
Ah wish I had asked before I spent $90AUD on choice leather. They're the world's most comfortable earmuffs but absolutely delete the treble and mids, replacing them with literal mud :frowning2:
I thought the sued sounded better than the choice leather, but I still disliked both. The sound is dramatically different from the original pads, but not in a good way. The choice leather is too muddy in the mids and bass. The sueds are less muddy but they lack decent clarity in the highs. I would like to try the elite velours still.

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,570 of 1,964

Cheers.
I’d honestly avoid both. Leather destroys the X2 signature and turns the bass into a bloody muddy mess that saturated everything else. The suede actually sounds pretty nice on the X2, if you want to emphasise the bass more cleanly.

I can’t imagine either suiting the X3. The vocals already seem slightly recessed. I can imagine them becoming more so. What happened to your stock pads?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,571 of 1,964
I’d honestly avoid both. Leather destroys the X2 signature and turns the bass into a bloody muddy mess that saturated everything else. The suede actually sounds pretty nice on the X2, if you want to emphasise the bass more cleanly.

I can’t imagine either suiting the X3. The vocals already seem slightly recessed. I can imagine them becoming more so. What happened to your stock pads?
Yeah completely agree. Still kept stock pads thankfully and by contrast they now seem much less recessed In vocals and much more enjoyable.

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #1,572 of 1,964
Tried the suede, didn't like what they did to the sound at all... liked their comfort though. Would be interested in trying the elite velours if they keep comfort of the suede and but don't butcher the sound. Haven't heard anyone talk about how they sound on an X3 but should be the best match...or as good a match as you'll ever get with Dekoni pads for it.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,573 of 1,964
Hi all.
I have been looking for a replacement cable for my X3. The single ended cable that was included in the box has a loose connection and sound come and go in the right side when I wiggle the cable around the y-split.

Anyone here know a EU-based reseller with either the original Philips spareparts/cable or a good 3rd party cable for the X3?
Thanks.

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #1,575 of 1,964
X3= special cable

Not only 'special cable' but cable which evidently cannot be located by any reliable methods
(use of search engines, expenditure of significant time and effort in a persistent manner,
trolling various potential sources i.e. eBay and others)
I thought (briefly) of phoning Philips but after searching their site thoroughly,
using the tools provided, I decided it would be a colossal waste of time and
dropped the matter.
I ultimately concluded that such a cable either does not exist, or is simply not
available for individual purchase as a backup or replacement.

Not worth the focus, time, or energy. IMO they're OK headphones, probably
a good value at current prices, and really nothing more. And not terribly
comfortable but as always YJMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back