Philips Fidelio X3
Oct 12, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,036 of 1,964
I think another reason why some may not like the X3s in comparison with the X2s is that the X2's really have their own flavor or character, they use the same X2 'template' with every track and album. Not saying that everything sounds the same, but that comfortable X2 soundstage width is always there, predetermined and from out that position the rest of the stage is filled in.
With the X3s difference in recordings are more obvious, they can sound very different. And with that they appear to be faceless, without an identity and chameleon-like, like Zelig in Woody Allen's movie "Zelig".

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #1,037 of 1,964
Forget about using upgrade cables with the X3. Neither the Moon Silver Dragon nor the Dana Cable would work, even though it's the same plugs. Actually, the Dana cable did work with the left channel. You'd think they'd standardize these things ***

Oct 13, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #1,039 of 1,964
Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,040 of 1,964

Yep, I just snagged one up from Amazon out of curiosity.

All the negative reviews do not bother me one bit, as so called reviewer impressions generally have zero bearing on the purchases I make. By and large I dislike audio gear reviews as they typically contain 90% metaphors and gibberish. And the only set of ears I trust are my own, as we all perceive sound differently.

IMO $249 is a good entry point, considering where the high-end/flagship market is headed, or have skyrocketed, as of late. I think there are plenty of great HPs in the mid-tier that are way better bang-for-buck. In my personal experience, the difference between a good mid-fi and summit-fi is never night and day, but more subtle than one would believe.

Anyways, should have them in my hand by Saturday, and very curious to see how my impressions differ from all the reviewers out there.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,041 of 1,964
I own them for about a Day.

Here is my Conclusion.
Read on if necessary, but, its not.

Conclusion : If these were $699 they'd be excellent.
If these were Sennheisers, they'd be exactly right.
At $315.00 USD on Amazon, they are Remarkable.
These are Giant Killers.
Break them in a little bit and you'll know what I know.
-
-
-
-
I considered posting a review, but instead i'll just answer what you want to know, as Z Reviews blew the review, and only a handful of other people have reviewed them.
Here is how not to review them, once you buy them.
Do not concern yourself with this idea that you must compare them to the X2s or the X2HR's.
This does not matter.
What matters is, as Tyll would tell you....>"Do THESE sound GOOD and feel GOOD"?
That is all that matters, and not anything else.

Here we go.
Buckle up.

Are they worth the money? = Yes.
Do they sound good? = Yes.
Are they Treble Etched as the guy on "Trusted Reviews", claims? = No.....but, they are not lacking in High End....And.... They do have a general sense of the Treble response of the previous "X" Brand.
Are they light? Yes
Do they have a tight clamping force? = No, its not tight.
Are the pads comfortable.? = Better then Average
Are they attractive in person ? = Yes
Are they as large as some reviewers are claiming? = No
Are the (2) included cables stupid? = Yes, Right along with Hifiman Cables. Sure.

Describe their sound?
You really want to know?
Ok,..... remember with Sennheiser created the 660S and we all thought they were not the next progression in that family's sound SIG?'
Ok, this might be it. This could apply as the real followup to the HD650. This headphone does not have that type of Bass, but it does have some of the Sennheiser House Sound.
Slightly more refined, natural, and balanced with better mids then the HD600.
The Sound is both relaxed and detailed. Its both laid back and analytical.
The Bass is controlled, the Mids are generous, and the Treble is lacking in SSSSSSSSS, but, its an abundant Treble.
The X3 Headphones will please a lot of people who are tired of chasing Planar's and can't find satisfaction, or who hated the HD660S.

Here is the thing.
When we spend money on our obsessions we want value and we want satisfaction in return.
Its what we chase.
We want what we spend to = the pleasure we receive.
We give money to receive pleasure, and that is what the X3 is going to give most of you.
That is what you want, and that is what i want.
This X3, offers pleasure and value.
Is it the greatest sounding pair of headphones ever created?
Maybe you will think it is.....
It offers great instrument separation, a nice soundstage, comfort, and a fine audiophile sound.
It does what it does very well and a lot of people will like it.

Z X3.JPG
-
I noticed you own the Avantone Pro Planars as well. How do they compare with the X3s?
Never owned a pair of planars myself (and having disliked the Oppo PM3's) I was wondering if those Avantones are likely candidates to become be my first pair of planars.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #1,042 of 1,964
I noticed you own the Avantone Pro Planars as well. How do they compare with the X3s?
Never owned a pair of planars myself (and having disliked the Oppo PM3's) I was wondering if those Avantones are likely candidates to become be my first pair of planars.
How are you gonna get the Avantones Pro Planars?

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #1,043 of 1,964
Oct 14, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #1,044 of 1,964
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,045 of 1,964
Btw, aren't planars harder to drive?

It's as different as with other headphone designs. Some of my most power demanding headphones are planar (Fostex T50RP and HiFiMan HE560) while the Brainwaivz Alara can easily be powered from most devices.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,046 of 1,964
It's as different as with other headphone designs. Some of my most power demanding headphones are planar (Fostex T50RP and HiFiMan HE560) while the Brainwaivz Alara can easily be powered from most devices.
Does the SPL nominance in dB plays a factor too? Or is inherent to planars some are power hungry?
And does the sound differ planar vs non-planar?

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,047 of 1,964
Another review. I agree mostly with it. Especially about their tonality that is mostly neutral, it indeed isn't thick like the NightHawks or Sony MDR-Z7s. And of course their soundstage.

https://aphnetworks.com/reviews/philips-fidelio-x3

aphnetworks.com said:
Let us start off with the bass as we break down the frequencies. The lower end is everything you could expect for good quality, balanced bass. It is deep and solid. Kicks with a kickdrum sounded round, smooth, and punchy. In every other instrument, the low frequency output is well-defined and well-articulated. I only have great things to say in this area.

I alluded to the midrange when I discussed the sound signature. Vocals and instruments in this region were natural and clear with a good range. However, the saturation, richness, and thickness were mostly standard with no surprises. One thing to note is snare drums did not sound very dynamic upon the strike of a drumstick. I have a big preference for fully saturated and warm midrange outputs, so this is where a lot of the Fidelio X3's sound signature differs from my personal preference.

One big highlight of the Fidelio X3 is its awesome treble. The clear, bright, and crisp output made it incredible for instrumental music, especially for those who appreciate string instruments. Anything involving percussion like a cymbal or hi-hat was sharp, tight, immediate, and crisp with a sparkling touch as well. The remarkably clean and wet treble carries a lot of energy and I was impressed in almost every way. The only aspect I see room for improvement was a slight, but noticeable, lack of solidity and depth when metal is being hit.

Here is the part you have all been waiting for: The Fidelio X3's soundstaging. These are open back headphones, and I will confirm that these have a super wide soundstage. I am going to say it again. It is super wide. There is massive depth and width, where all dimensions are extremely well-defined. You just have to experience it to understand. You will not be disappointed.

Closing off with the auxiliary auditioning results, the imaging of the Philips Fidelio X3 was very realistic; staying true to the original production or recording. The layers were precisely produced with a perfect amount of detail. The resolution was nearly perfect across the range, as it picked up practically everything and anything in a quality encoded track. If you think you know your music, listen to the tracks all over again with the Philips Fidelio X3, and you will simply find it a totally new experience as you may discover things you have never noticed before.

Deriving from this, the frequency separation was excellent. Again, every detail was almost perfectly reproduced, thanks to its clear, high definition, and clean separation. At the same time, the entire spectrum was cohesive with no transition effects, making it sound exactly as it should. I was also very impressed by how clean the sound comes out to be. It is hard to get much better than this.

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,048 of 1,964
And a German review. A very favorable, but rather non-specific review. I think most reviews here @ Head-fi are too long and too detailed. This German review is the exact opposite. But they included a frequeny response chart though :)

https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/philips-fidelio-x3/

1602789227359.png

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,050 of 1,964
Here's their (kopfhoerer.de) freq chart of the DT880s. Indeed pretty similar to the X3s, like DMS mentioned and measured himself. But I am pretty sure my ears would object to DT880s highs more...

1602790169868.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back