Philips Fidelio X3
Oct 10, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #1,021 of 1,964
Maybe he is comparing the sound of the X3 to the sound of actual live music....the sounds, dynamics and impact of real instruments in real space. Why do headphones always have to be compared with other headphones, like there's an actual standard?

Exactly because there is no accepted standard by everyone since we perceive headphones differently.

At least comparison to another headphone gives some people--those familiar with the 2nd headphone--a common frame of reference for how the headphone being reviewed sounds. Otherwise, any comments about bass, mids, treble, soundstage, resolution, and imaging are often useless.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #1,022 of 1,964
Exactly because there is no accepted standard by everyone since we perceive headphones differently.

At least comparison to another headphone gives some people--those familiar with the 2nd headphone--a common frame of reference for how the headphone being reviewed sounds. Otherwise, any comments about bass, mids, treble, soundstage, resolution, and imaging are often useless.

I think I'm the odd one out over here. So you guys don't watch/read/listen to any reviews for headphones because we all have different ears? The X2's are pretty much well established with having a good wide soundstage. If someone says the X3's have less soundstage, you know exactly what they mean, surely? Where am I :D

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,023 of 1,964
I think I'm the odd one out over here. So you guys don't watch/read/listen to any reviews for headphones because we all have different ears?

That's definitely not what I said.

The X2's are pretty much well established with having a good wide soundstage. If someone says the X3's have less soundstage, you know exactly what they mean, surely? Where am I :D

I'm not sure you know "exactly" what that means when someone says they have less soundstage than X2. $1 is less than $1 million. And $950K is less than $1 million as well. And there are a lot of numbers in between. But at least, through a comparison (which was my point), then you know (if you trust the reviewer) it's not equal to or greater than X3.

In fact, while there are certainly consumers buying on Amazon who have not read any comparisons, I'd venture that pretty much all Head-Fiers rely on some kind of relative frame for making a decision when purchasing headphones unheard. Either subjective comparisons and/or measurements.

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #1,024 of 1,964
That's definitely not what I said.

I'm not sure you know "exactly" what that means when someone says they have less soundstage than X2. $1 is less than $1 million. And $950K is less than $1 million as well. And there are a lot of numbers in between. But at least, through a comparison (which was my point), then you know (if you trust the reviewer) it's not equal to or greater than X3.

In fact, while there are certainly consumers buying on Amazon who have not read any comparisons, I'd venture that pretty much all Head-Fiers rely on some kind of relative frame for making a decision when purchasing headphones unheard. Either subjective comparisons and/or measurements.

Soundstage was just an example.

I think I may have quoted the wrong person.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,025 of 1,964
I think I'm the odd one out over here. So you guys don't watch/read/listen to any reviews for headphones because we all have different ears? The X2's are pretty much well established with having a good wide soundstage. If someone says the X3's have less soundstage, you know exactly what they mean, surely?
I know what they mean but I don't know that they are not totally full of s--t. This is the problem when you have YouTube 'reviewers' who think they are Tyll Hertsens but unfortunately can't hear or have no frame of reference.

On the other hand, people like Herb Reichert, for example, and other reviewers who write for audio magazines have heard and lived with some of the best equipment in the world (other than headphones) and they have attended plenty of live performances and have had the opportunity to hear live mic feeds in a recording session. And they have been doing it for decades. When they review something, they are using a lot of good quality sources. I might not have the same tastes/preferences as they do, but I know where they are coming from. Whereas the less qualified or experienced who are sitting in their basement with their pants around their ankles listening to junk and making a decision after 5 minutes of listening, well...not so much.

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,026 of 1,964
I know what they mean but I don't know that they are not totally full of s--t. This is the problem when you have YouTube 'reviewers' who think they are Tyll Hertsens but unfortunately can't hear or have no frame of reference.

On the other hand, people like Herb Reichert, for example, and other reviewers who write for audio magazines have heard and lived with some of the best equipment in the world (other than headphones) and they have attended plenty of live performances and have had the opportunity to hear live mic feeds in a recording session. And they have been doing it for decades. When they review something, they are using a lot of good quality sources. I might not have the same tastes/preferences as they do, but I know where they are coming from. Whereas the less qualified or experienced who are sitting in their basement with their pants around their ankles listening to junk and making a decision after 5 minutes of listening, well...not so much.

I don't think anyone should purchase anything based on a single review.
You look around and hopefully find a general consensus on a product. It's obviously more difficult if opinions are all over the place.

If some random here says one thing, I'll take it in. If someone else says another, I'll also take it in. They're not meaningless. They all add to the overall picture.

I did a similar thing with the HD560s. I gave my early impressions. Not because I think I have any credibility here, but because there's a lot of hype and at the time very few reviews. If I didn't buy them, I would be looking for early impressions to get a grasp on the hype coughdmsreviewcough.

Oct 10, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #1,027 of 1,964
Whereas the less qualified or experienced who are sitting in their basement with their pants around their ankles listening to junk and making a decision after 5 minutes of listening, well...not so much.

Bahaha, nice one :)

Oct 10, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,028 of 1,964
I don't think anyone should purchase anything based on a single review.
You look around and hopefully find a general consensus on a product. It's obviously more difficult if opinions are all over the place.

If some random here says one thing, I'll take it in. If someone else says another, I'll also take it in. They're not meaningless. They all add to the overall picture.

I did a similar thing with the HD560s. I gave my early impressions. Not because I think I have any credibility here, but because there's a lot of hype and at the time very few reviews. If I didn't buy them, I would be looking for early impressions to get a grasp on the hype coughdmsreviewcough.
The best you can do is find someone who reviews who shares your tastes and preferences i.e. they hear things the same way you do. But that's rare, especially with both open and closed headphones.

When I see different reviews with different findings, I tend to think that the headphone is clashing with the reviewers 'previous' headphone that they loved.

Oct 11, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,029 of 1,964
Oct 11, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,030 of 1,964
The funny thing is I never would have considered buying them, even at the price I got them for, if I had read those reviews first, both positive and negative.
The overall described sound signature in every review is a neutral-ish sound with extended higs, lots of clarity and a big soundstage.
I would have bought them if I had read: warm, laid-back sound with thick mids and bloated bass. LOL
But I am lucky I got them, it makes me appreciate, no really enjoying a different sound signature, meanwhile realizing again that for sheer music enjoyment sound characteristics like tonality and hue are relative and for the biggest part distinguish themselves and practically only mean something in comparison with other pairs. True, a really horribly tuned pair with poor tonality will just sound off without an audio-related reference point, but most differences in audio related products (at a certain price point) are not that extreme anymore.
Even if the X3s are significantly brighter tuned than the NightHawks, I still perceive them as warm and euphonic sounding, but just at different moments in music and in different ways.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #1,031 of 1,964
The X3 arrived this week and I have been spending a lot of time with them. I will post some thoughts later on. They will be difficult to review, or difficult to put down something useful, as they sound different on every recording. To 'review', you normally need to define a 'characteristic', to describe a 'sound'.

Oct 11, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #1,032 of 1,964
A German Swiss test that is in line with what I find excellent about them: soundstage depth with especially classical music.
avguide.ch said:
Google translated: The responsible engineers had a golden hand in the tonal coordination of the Fidelio X3. In this way, good opera recordings become a veritable listening pleasure, especially since men's and women's voices are staggeringly three-dimensional, expressive and with an authentic timbre.
The spatial image of the X3 knows how to convince. The virtual front location is very easy, you don't have the feeling that the musical happening is predominantly on the side or behind the head. So you can also understand the impression of spatial depth very well.
https://www.avguide.ch/testbericht/test-kopfhoerer-philips-fidelio-x3-kulturtraeger

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #1,033 of 1,964
I own them for about a Day.

Here is my Conclusion.
Read on if necessary, but, its not.

Conclusion : If these were $699 they'd be excellent.
If these were Sennheisers, they'd be exactly right.
At $315.00 USD on Amazon, they are Remarkable.
These are Giant Killers.
Break them in a little bit and you'll know what I know.
-
-
-
-
I considered posting a review, but instead i'll just answer what you want to know, as Z Reviews blew the review, and only a handful of other people have reviewed them.
Here is how not to review them, once you buy them.
Do not concern yourself with this idea that you must compare them to the X2s or the X2HR's.
This does not matter.
What matters is, as Tyll would tell you....>"Do THESE sound GOOD and feel GOOD"?
That is all that matters, and not anything else.

Here we go.
Buckle up.

Are they worth the money? = Yes.
Do they sound good? = Yes.
Are they Treble Etched as the guy on "Trusted Reviews", claims? = No.....but, they are not lacking in High End....And.... They do have a general sense of the Treble response of the previous "X" Brand.
Are they light? Yes
Do they have a tight clamping force? = No, its not tight.
Are the pads comfortable.? = Better then Average
Are they attractive in person ? = Yes
Are they as large as some reviewers are claiming? = No
Are the (2) included cables stupid? = Yes, Right along with Hifiman Cables. Sure.

Describe their sound?
You really want to know?
Ok,..... remember with Sennheiser created the 660S and we all thought they were not the next progression in that family's sound SIG?'
Ok, this might be it. This could apply as the real followup to the HD650. This headphone does not have that type of Bass, but it does have some of the Sennheiser House Sound.
Slightly more refined, natural, and balanced with better mids then the HD600.
The Sound is both relaxed and detailed. Its both laid back and analytical.
The Bass is controlled, the Mids are generous, and the Treble is lacking in SSSSSSSSS, but, its an abundant Treble.
The X3 Headphones will please a lot of people who are tired of chasing Planar's and can't find satisfaction, or who hated the HD660S.

Here is the thing.
When we spend money on our obsessions we want value and we want satisfaction in return.
Its what we chase.
We want what we spend to = the pleasure we receive.
We give money to receive pleasure, and that is what the X3 is going to give most of you.
That is what you want, and that is what i want.
This X3, offers pleasure and value.
Is it the greatest sounding pair of headphones ever created?
Maybe you will think it is.....
It offers great instrument separation, a nice soundstage, comfort, and a fine audiophile sound.
It does what it does very well and a lot of people will like it.

Z X3.JPG

-

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,034 of 1,964
Funny, you recognize the similarities with the HD650s as well. I thought I was the only one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back