Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 17, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #1,441 of 1,964
Idk some people say X2s are super bassy without EQ out of the box. I found them not so, like EDM music thats known for its bass, sounded lacking. (less lacking than X3 ofc)
Some people say they have boomy or punchy bass. But I dont know what they define as boomy or punchy bass.
I'd say they were equal to some cheap jbl bluetooth speakers without an EQ.
When I hear punchy or boomy I think a home theatre, and thats kinda why you spend >150 on a headphone, thats kinda the experience you want without disturbing others.

I'm gonna agree with Luke here. I don't think you'll be able to find any open-backs that will satisfy your needs if you think the X2 is lacking bass. You need something more like VModa M100 with extra EQ on them, a closed-back that can go pure bass cannon.

Like, I'm a bass guy myself to an extent, I always lean more towards bottom-heavy headphones than the reverse, and while I'll agree the X3 isn't at all "subwoofer" style bass, I think calling them "tinny" means you're expecting something wildly different than what they're even trying to be.

EDIT: Also why are people thinking the fabric on these will wear out? They aren't even rubbing against anything. I'm wearing a t-shirt right now that I got like 15 years ago at Hot Topic and it's still fine. Why would fabric sitting on the outside of a headphone be at risk of randomly wearing out?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,442 of 1,964
I haven't seen any pictures of the inside of the cups posted yet.
It seems like they used a pretty strong stock magnet, so I don't know how much adding magnets would help. The interior of the cups is just untreated plastic...which is kind of disappointing, considering the quality of materials they used for the cups on the Fidelio L2 (as an example of what they are capable of producing) I imagine there might be some gains to be had in damping. It looks like there are a couple of 'bass ports' on the back of the driver (you know, those little holes they cover up with acoustic tape) so there might be some tunability there.
As far as modifying them to take a standard balanced jack it seems like a pretty straight forward job.
IMG_20201217_125759_433 (1).jpg

IMG_20201217_130056_936.jpg

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,443 of 1,964
I haven't seen any pictures of the inside of the cups posted yet.
It seems like they used a pretty strong stock magnet, so I don't know how much adding magnets would help. The interior of the cups is just untreated plastic...which is kind of disappointing, considering the quality of materials they used for the cups on the Fidelio L2 (as an example of what they are capable of producing) I imagine there might be some gains to be had in damping. It looks like there are a couple of 'bass ports' on the back of the driver (you know, those little holes they cover up with acoustic tape) so there might be some tunability there.
As far as modifying them to take a standard balanced jack it seems like a pretty straight forward job.
IMG_20201217_125759_433 (1).jpg

IMG_20201217_130056_936.jpg

Untaping those ports should give a bass boost. Partially taping the port on the X2 did reduce the bass hump, I'd think the X3 would be the opposite.
Also good to see that it'd be very easy to re-wire the jack to a proper configuration. For the life of me I can't wrap my head around why they're wired the way they are. Its not like Philips makes it easy to get replacement parts, you have no choice but 3rd party

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #1,444 of 1,964
For the life of me I can't wrap my head around why they're wired the way they are.

The only thing I can guess is they are ensuring that the electrons flow in 1 direction only.

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #1,445 of 1,964
The only thing I can guess is they are ensuring that the electrons flow in 1 direction only.
Is this like a 'flux capacitor' joke?

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #1,447 of 1,964
New to forum and recent purchaser of X3’s here. Has anybody found a shorter balanced cable for the X3’s? I am using the Qudelix-5k along with the 2.5mm balanced cable for X3’s but wish I had a shorter cable. (I bought the shorter unbalanced cable off of Amazon but doesn’t have enough oomph with the Qudelix.)
Any help would be appreciated.
https://www.amazon.com/NEOMUSICIA-R...ia+replacement+cable+x3&qid=1605997138&sr=8-3

These work with the X3. Look at the connector plugs. They don't look similar to any of your Ali links?

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #1,448 of 1,964
New to forum and recent purchaser of X3’s here. Has anybody found a shorter balanced cable for the X3’s? I am using the Qudelix-5k along with the 2.5mm balanced cable for X3’s but wish I had a shorter cable. (I bought the shorter unbalanced cable off of Amazon but doesn’t have enough oomph with the Qudelix.)
Any help would be appreciated.

Something seems off. With 100db 1mw sensitivity at 30 ohms, X3 should require 10 mw/0.55V to reach 110db. Independent measurements Qudelix can output 85mw at 33 ohms.

Have you used the X3 with other devices to confirm the Qudelix is coming up short? Otherwise, it might be that your expectations are off for the X3 bass performance.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #1,449 of 1,964
Something seems off. With 100db 1mw sensitivity at 30 ohms, X3 should require 10 mw/0.55V to reach 110db. Independent measurements Qudelix can output 85mw at 33 ohms.

Have you used the X3 with other devices to confirm the Qudelix is coming up short? Otherwise, it might be that your expectations are off for the X3 bass performance.
When I direct connect to my IPhone it gets sufficiently loud enough using dongle but with the Qudelix unless I max out the volume on my iPhone the sound level is less than desirable. Could it be because I’m using the Sound Check setting on IPhone?

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #1,450 of 1,964
When I direct connect to my IPhone it gets sufficiently loud enough using dongle but with the Qudelix unless I max out the volume on my iPhone the sound level is less than desirable. Could it be because I’m using the Sound Check setting on IPhone?

I'm not an Apple person. But definitely seems like a configuration issue.

Someone in the Qudelix thread could probably help you to make sure the output is optimized

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-qudelix-5k-thread.914628/

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #1,451 of 1,964
Just got these cans on sale to complement my hd6xx, bought returned cans from a Norwegian retailer so i got a really god price on them on top of the recent sale price. Had some issues when using it with an Asus Essence one DAC and a Creative X7. Had audible hiss at high volume when idle and could not figure out what the problem was until i decided to plug them into my Asus STX soundcard instead and now they are a completely different beast and the hiss is gone.
Am i right in my assumption that these cans are picky when it comes to their source?

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,452 of 1,964
Just got these cans on sale to complement my hd6xx, bought returned cans from a Norwegian retailer so i got a really god price on them on top of the recent sale price. Had some issues when using it with an Asus Essence one DAC and a Creative X7. Had audible hiss at high volume when idle and could not figure out what the problem was until i decided to plug them into my Asus STX soundcard instead and now they are a completely different beast and the hiss is gone.
Am i right in my assumption that these cans are picky when it comes to their source?
I don't think they are picky per se, but they are....honest? If the source is hissy, you're going to hear the hiss...it seems like they scale up, they appreciate good sources, but mostly it's really good at reproducing sounds...if the recording sucks, they tell you. Conversely well recorded, detailed tracks sound wonderful. It doesn't take a lot of power to make them sing...and it seems like the better you feed them, the better they sound.

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #1,453 of 1,964

They are low impedance while the HD6XX are fairly high impedance and much more tolerant of source noise/issues...

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,454 of 1,964

Sounds like your amp just isn't very clean which is more apparent with more sensitive headphones

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,455 of 1,964
Sounds like your amp just isn't very clean which is more apparent with more sensitive headphones
I was thinking the same. Might be the ancient electrical system in my house.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back