Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 15, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #1,426 of 1,964
Idk some people say X2s are super bassy without EQ out of the box. I found them not so, like EDM music thats known for its bass, sounded lacking. (less lacking than X3 ofc)
Some people say they have boomy or punchy bass. But I dont know what they define as boomy or punchy bass.
I'd say they were equal to some cheap jbl bluetooth speakers without an EQ.
When I hear punchy or boomy I think a home theatre, and thats kinda why you spend >150 on a headphone, thats kinda the experience you want without disturbing others.

Punchy is good. Boomy is not. So you seem confused about bass terminology. And my home theater is not boomy. So I don't know what you are talking about :wink:

Anyway, bass performance is relative. The X2s do have a lot of bass emphasis relative to a headphone with a fairly neutral response. Whereas the X3, not so much.

And that's good. Sound signature preference is individualistic. Philips now has two different good headphones that suit different consumer preferences. We should be celebrating that, instead of getting caught up into trying to define one as definitively better than the other, or downgrading one for not being like the other.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #1,428 of 1,964
Dec 15, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #1,430 of 1,964
Just received my X3’s today. I’m powering them with a NAD D3045.

I don’t have any experience with the older models, so I’m just comparing them with the headphones I did try. I really like them so far. Somehow the sound kind of reminds me of the Shure Aonic 50’s.

Will listen more the coming time to get a better sense of them.

So far, so good.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #1,431 of 1,964
Wow, the micro center in my city has an open box in stock for $175
Awesome. I assume you have already bought them. If not, stop reading this, go buy them, I'll wait.
Ok, while Slater picks up that extra set, here's what I think he's going to do with them:
Strip the leather off the headband, lets see what's up with that bare metal. It seems like it's a single piece of spring steel...that's a cool design, why hide it? Give it a protective coating of some type and move on. Honestly, the leather wrap is fine, but, unnecessary. The seam is kinda weird and could have been executed better. Once that is addressed, I'm sure he will want to chop up and re terminate the stock cables with the appropriate balanced plugs, and then do a write up with the appropriate links....
I wonder if he has it done yet...he's been gone a while...

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #1,432 of 1,964
Punchy is good. Boomy is not. So you seem confused about bass terminology. And my home theater is not boomy. So I don't know what you are talking about :wink:

Anyway, bass performance is relative. The X2s do have a lot of bass emphasis relative to a headphone with a fairly neutral response. Whereas the X3, not so much.

And that's good. Sound signature preference is individualistic. Philips now has two different good headphones that suit different consumer preferences. We should be celebrating that, instead of getting caught up into trying to define one as definitively better than the other, or downgrading one for not being like the other.

So you are trying to tell me your hometheater does not rumble? Okay.
Thunderous scenes or big starfighters (star wars ep7 or 8 had some dope ass boomy, thunderous, rumbling sounds with atmos) flying past must sound dull and boring then.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #1,433 of 1,964
These headphones just aren't made for you bud.
You like big bass and you cannot lie....

Get some closed back bass canons and stop bumming people out with your negative vibes.

Last I checked this is a Discussion thread not a Praise the X3s thread.

Do you have the headphones? Your signature doesnt show them. So Im gonna guess no. Why are you here? I own them.
And I have every right to criticise or crap on them if I would like to. I have however, not done any of that. So whats the issue?

People are gonna compare the X3s to the X2s, X2s were known for the low end. So expect that.

Im not gonna buy Closed back headphones because they sound like crap and I like to hear my surroundings and not close myself off from it.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #1,434 of 1,964
Awesome. I assume you have already bought them. If not, stop reading this, go buy them, I'll wait.
Ok, while Slater picks up that extra set, here's what I think he's going to do with them:
Strip the leather off the headband, lets see what's up with that bare metal. It seems like it's a single piece of spring steel...that's a cool design, why hide it? Give it a protective coating of some type and move on. Honestly, the leather wrap is fine, but, unnecessary. The seam is kinda weird and could have been executed better. Once that is addressed, I'm sure he will want to chop up and re terminate the stock cables with the appropriate balanced plugs, and then do a write up with the appropriate links....
I wonder if he has it done yet...he's been gone a while...

Haha, you know me all too well lol!

I’ve been rolling around mod ideas since the very 1st day they released the prototype photos :)

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #1,435 of 1,964
Last I checked this is a Discussion thread not a Praise the X3s thread.

Do you have the headphones? Your signature doesnt show them. So Im gonna guess no. Why are you here? I own them.
And I have every right to criticise or crap on them if I would like to. I have however, not done any of that. So whats the issue?

People are gonna compare the X3s to the X2s, X2s were known for the low end. So expect that.

Im not gonna buy Closed back headphones because they sound like crap and I like to hear my surroundings and not close myself off from it.
Yes, i own the x3 and the x2, i know what I'm talking about
I also own a 1996 Mazda Miata, and i don't complain that it's not very good for going off-road.
You are complaining about the X3 not being great for EDM, which you have the right to do, but the X3 isn't made for EDM, so your complaints are unhelpful and misleading to people.
I have been involved in enough threads to know that people are going to: skim this thread, read your comments, and then post things like " i was going to get the X3 but then i read somewhere that they are tinny and don't have any bass..."
You are giving a misleading impression of the headphones based on your very biased personal preference.
The X3 isn't tuned for your tastes, crapping on it doesn't help anyone, other than you. I'm glad you got to express your personal bias, but How does it help?
Cool, you've exposed the X3 for not being good at something it wasn't made to do, now go make the " i need open backed headphones for EDM" thread and find out if there is a headphone to match your tastes.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #1,436 of 1,964
Haha, you know me all too well lol!

I’ve been rolling around mod ideas since the very 1st day they released the prototype photos :)
Since i got my hands on my set I've been torn..they are so good stock, but I'm itching to take them apart. I mean...what would a naked X3 look like? No leather, no cloth on the cup....
Phillips puts a metric ton of thought into their designs, I'm a fan, for sure. It doesn't seem like there are any flaws in the design as far as damping ...i feel like i would just f"+k up the sound if i started trying to 'fix' it, so I'm curious what you would do.

Dec 16, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,437 of 1,964
Since i got my hands on my set I've been torn..they are so good stock, but I'm itching to take them apart. I mean...what would a naked X3 look like? No leather, no cloth on the cup....
Phillips puts a metric ton of thought into their designs, I'm a fan, for sure. It doesn't seem like there are any flaws in the design as far as damping ...i feel like i would just f"+k up the sound if i started trying to 'fix' it, so I'm curious what you would do.

I like the leather, and have no issue with it.

However, the fabric looks fine now, but I doubt it will still look nice in a few years. So I’m going to think about what can be done with that.

Also going to try out some driver and dampening mods.

Finally, I’ll rewire the stock drivers with pure silver wire and solder, and also rewire the stock jacks ‘standardized’, so normal balanced cables work without all the non-standards rigmarole that’s required now.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #1,438 of 1,964
So you are trying to tell me your hometheater does not rumble? Okay.
Thunderous scenes or big starfighters (star wars ep7 or 8 had some dope ass boomy, thunderous, rumbling sounds with atmos) flying past must sound dull and boring then.

I'm saying my home theater is not boomy. Makes a big difference when one has $2.5K in high quality subs with a calibrated response vs. whatever crappy sub setup you listen to :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #1,439 of 1,964

However, the fabric looks fine now, but I doubt it will still look nice in a few years. So I’m going to think about what can be done with that.

Finally, I’ll rewire the stock drivers with pure silver wire and solder, and also rewire the stock jacks ‘standardized’, so normal balanced cables work without all the non-standards rigmarole that’s required now.

I'd just like to know how exactly the two locking tab pieces in the headband that secure the plastic ends of headstrap work...I.E. are they similar to the SHP9500 ones, would like to redo the strap without damaging the mounting pieces. Like everything about stock X3 except that self adjusting headband system - want to replace it with a custom leather/alcantara strap sized correctly for my head, the noise and tension pulling on the earpads from the stock elastic band system is slightly annoying...

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #1,440 of 1,964

You overlooked one very important part.
What is it going to be called?
You have to control your brand these days! I mean, think about this, you can't even order a new Argon right now because Ryan over there at Modhouse is swamped.....
I don't want to have to talk about my "Slatered X3", that name stinks. You need to make sure you have the name figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back