Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 30, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,456 of 1,964
Another issue i've noticed after fiddling (fidelioing?) around is that the included 3.5 to 6.5 plug was ill fitting which caused distortion on the left can. Could be just mine, but swapping it out for another i had laying around fixed the issue.

Dec 31, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #1,457 of 1,964
Another issue i've noticed after fiddling (fidelioing?) around is that the included 3.5 to 6.5 plug was ill fitting which caused distortion on the left can. Could be just mine, but swapping it out for another i had laying around fixed the issue.
Dude ...there's no such thing as Audio Science , it's all chaos, intuition, and luck...you just keep plugging things into other things until the sounds sound right ....

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,458 of 1,964
Dude ...there's no such thing as Audio Science , it's all chaos, intuition, and luck...you just keep plugging things into other things until the sounds sound right ....

It also helps if you first read lots of marketing prose about the products, so you have expectations of what to hear :k701smile:

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #1,459 of 1,964
Anyone experiment with removing the dips, such as what Rtings measured at 2K and at 4K-5K?

rtings x3 measurements.png

I've been experimenting a little, but I'm sure there's room for improvement. I also add a little bass boost to the low end

x3 eq.png

Anyone got anything better for fixing the dips?

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,460 of 1,964
It is official, the Fidelio X3s have dethroned my venerable NightHawks as my favorite and most pleasing sounding pair of headphones.
They are so allround excellent. True, they are brighter in their treble than neutral and occasionally they show their ugly side, but never with music tracks, always in Youtube commentary content and you could say they just try to give me a hint to stop listening to those babbling crappy Youtubers and instead listen to some fine music.
In resolution, detail delivery they are on par with my HD650s, NightHawks and just a tiny bit below the Avantone Planars. In clarity, soundstage, layering and imaging they beat the NightHawks and HD650s and I think they are on par with the Avantone Planars, but the X3s sound overall more immersive and engaging.
Their bass is the best, beating even the Denon D5000s in detail, texture and impact, but without sounding hard and boomy.

After the Sony MDR-Z7s, AudioQuest NightHawks yet another pair of universally disliked pair of headphones have become my favorites.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #1,461 of 1,964
It is official, the Fidelio X3s have dethroned my venerable NightHawks as my favorite and most pleasing sounding pair of headphones.
They are so allround excellent. True, they are brighter in their treble than neutral and occasionally they show their ugly side, but never with music tracks, always in Youtube commentary content and you could say they just try to give me a hint to stop listening to those babbling crappy Youtubers and instead listen to some fine music.
In resolution, detail delivery they are on par with my HD650s, NightHawks and just a tiny bit below the Avantone Planars. In clarity, soundstage, layering and imaging they beat the NightHawks and HD650s and I think they are on par with the Avantone Planars, but the X3s sound overall more immersive and engaging.
Their bass is the best, beating even the Denon D5000s in detail, texture and impact, but without sounding hard and boomy.

After the Sony MDR-Z7s, AudioQuest NightHawks yet another pair of universally disliked pair of headphones have become my favorites.

You sound like someone who has my exact ears haha. I'm also a massive defender of the Nighthawks and wish I'd kept my old pair.

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #1,465 of 1,964
Apparently Dekoni now has replacement pads available for the X3. Now all those people who foolishly proclaimed, "non replaceable pads!? I'm out." have no excuse.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,466 of 1,964
Apparently Dekoni now has replacement pads available for the X3. Now all those people who foolishly proclaimed, "non replaceable pads!? I'm out." have no excuse.

Only if you don't care that your headphones are gonna sound different than they do with the stock pads.

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #1,467 of 1,964
Only if you don't care that your headphones are gonna sound different than they do with the stock pads.
Yeah.....but Its possible they might actually sound better...

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #1,468 of 1,964
Yeah.....but Its possible they might actually sound better...

Yeah, that's subjective. The point is that if people want their headphones to sound the same with replacement pads once their pads wear out there's still no solution. Philips should be offering OEM replacements.

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,469 of 1,964

The problem isn't that no pads are available... there have been tons of pads for L1/L2 and M1 by third parties all over amazon and ebay. Looks like there is now a third party option for the X series. The problem is getting replacements from Philips to not change how they sound, look, feel, fit, etc.

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #1,470 of 1,964
I fully understand the issue that people have with simply wanting stock replacement pads. What i find a little frustrating with the Headfi community is that for YEARS people have been complaining about the stock pads, then a company finally makes pads, designed specifically for the X2/X3, and all people do is whinge about them not being identical to the stock pads. Additionally, all this whinging is happening while nobody had even heard the damn things....classic headfi nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back