Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 24, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #15,241 of 15,268
When I first got my X2s >6 yrs ago, I didn't yet own a dedicated desktop DAC or amplifier. I paired them with my then-new FiiO E10K portable, a modest but good sounding all-in-one. The X2's sound was great...loved it.

Six months later I had my first DAC and first real headphone amp. Forget what the DAC was; the amp was the single-ended Lake People G109-A. I couldn't believe how much better the X2s sounded. My first experience of scaling w/better sources, also the fact that volume is not the same as full sonic quality.

So yes, the X2s are very sensitive and can get up to a pretty good volume readily with low-power sources. But it's also true that having a better, stronger device supply the power will make an audible difference.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #15,244 of 15,268
Six and a half years of regular use, three sets of earpads, two cables, and more than a few clumsy drops later my Fidelios are still going strong. I'm amazed at the build quality of these things. No annoying squeaks or creaks either. :smile_phones:
Yep, what a great set of headphones. Mine from Oct 2014 are still providing the low-end grunt I love for rock music. New pads only once. Bought the newer X2hr a few years ago for backup, but have yet to open the box. Testament to the OG quality. Never has a single other HP given me the absolute joy these have. Big grin every time I listen. Rock on!!

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #15,246 of 15,268
I don't use my Fidelio X2 as the pad material really irritates me.
Can you recommend me some replacement pads that don't affect the sound in a negative way?
My like and this reply have nothing to do with your message. I just see your Porcupine Tree avatar and whenever I see PT, gotta give it some love

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #15,247 of 15,268
I don't use my Fidelio X2 as the pad material really irritates me.
Can you recommend me some replacement pads that don't affect the sound in a negative way?
This is a very long thread. There have been many posts over the years about ways to replace these earpads.

My best suggestion would be Dekoni suedes configured for this headphone. I pick them for 2 reasons:
  1. The material used is the least dissimilar from stock earpads. If, for example, you bought one of the sheepskin/lambskin variants, the sound would be greatly changed--but there's less chance of that on a suede-for-suede swap
  2. And pretty much everybody's suede is less itchy on the skin than the stock pads
https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Audio...+x2&qid=1704995508&s=electronics&sr=1-10&th=1

PS: I'd have to spend hours searching this thread to find comments from anyone who owned this specific set of Dekoni pads. Just don't have the time...

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #15,248 of 15,268
This is a very long thread. There have been many posts over the years about ways to replace these earpads.

My best suggestion would be Dekoni suedes configured for this headphone. I pick them for 2 reasons:
  1. The material used is the least dissimilar from stock earpads. If, for example, you bought one of the sheepskin/lambskin variants, the sound would be greatly changed--but there's less chance of that on a suede-for-suede swap
  2. And pretty much everybody's suede is less itchy on the skin than the stock pads
https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Audio-Replacement-Philips-Headphones/dp/B08T6FKWXK/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Fidelio+x2&qid=1704995508&s=electronics&sr=1-10&th=1

PS: I'd have to spend hours searching this thread to find comments from anyone who owned this specific set of Dekoni pads. Just don't have the time...
I've owned them a while back. I liked them, but gave my old X2 to a friend. I bought a new X2 since, and am looking to buy the dekoni again.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #15,249 of 15,268
I've owned them a while back. I liked them, but gave my old X2 to a friend. I bought a new X2 since, and am looking to buy the dekoni again.
Very interesting. Did you hear any difference in the sound w/the Dekoni's vs the stock pads?

I've used my X2s so infrequently since I bought them that the pads are perfect. There's no wear at all on the headphones.

Luckily for me, the stock pads never bothered me, though they are a bit scratchier than other velour pads.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #15,250 of 15,268
Very interesting. Did you hear any difference in the sound w/the Dekoni's vs the stock pads?

I've used my X2s so infrequently since I bought them that the pads are perfect. There's no wear at all on the headphones.

Luckily for me, the stock pads never bothered me, though they are a bit scratchier than other velour pads.
There is a difference but it's not major/jarring/bad. It was a long time ago now, but I remember preferring them over stock mainly due to the comfort, and being a fussy guy that must mean it didn't take away from the sound.

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #15,251 of 15,268
I've used Brainwavz velour oval pads on my X2 since my original pads wore out years ago. You have to stretch the flap over the driver housing, but this is easy enough. This will cover the jack for the cable, so just push the flap aside a bit as you plug in the cable.

The Brainwavz pads are comfortable and from what I remember, they didn't change the sound enough to be a problem. I've gotten used to them since then, and can't say I remember the original sound accurately. The Brainwavz pads are also considerably less expensive than the Dekoni. I paid $11.99 for my last pair.

I am one of those who suffers from sibilant sounds easily, and the X2 has this on occasion. To combat that, I put a layer of paper towel and a layer of felt inside the pads. This works for me, and is both easy and reversible.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #15,255 of 15,268
hi, I've owned these for years and rarely listen to them now and I noticed that they have a warm but mostly dry signature.
Just want to confirm if anyone else feels the same... because for me these headphones are a letdown these days, aren't velvety or smooth

I know it's odd to express it that way but that's what I've perceived them to be.
it is the original x2, stock pads

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back