Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 4, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #15,227 of 15,268
Anyone tried leather pads with X2s? Thinking of getting some from AliExpress when the 11.11 sales come on.
I did, years ago. It sounded like ass, really horrible.

Part of the problem is I used non-perforated pleather pads of ~the same thickness as stock. That's a guarantee of bass boom and crazy sound.

If I tried it again today, I'd buy only perforated leather pads (which still would sound relatively weird)--but better yet, velour or alacantra, which are both breathable & closer to stock pads in material.

How to put those pads on is a whole other story, too long to go into here (it's covered elsewhere in this thread, some years back).

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #15,228 of 15,268
I did, years ago. It sounded like ass, really horrible.

Part of the problem is I used non-perforated pleather pads of ~the same thickness as stock. That's a guarantee of bass boom and crazy sound.

If I tried it again today, I'd buy only perforated leather pads (which still would sound relatively weird)--but better yet, velour or alacantra, which are both breathable & closer to stock pads in material.

How to put those pads on is a whole other story, too long to go into here (it's covered elsewhere in this thread, some years back).

Cheers. I already replaced the originals with velour pads once, this would more be for my own curiousity.

Alcantara is a good shout though, might try to find that instead of leather.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #15,229 of 15,268
Anyone else have this print on the right earpiece? (7D) x2hr

phones.jpeg

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #15,233 of 15,268
Hi guys, Do you have any suggestions for a budget-friendly amp for x2 near or under 100eu or something that I manage to buy second-hand under 100eu?
something worth (if there is nothing that worth please let me know)
I already get the best sound out of them with my Asus Prime A (z790) motherboard.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #15,235 of 15,268
But why you need an amp? I just run my X1 and X2 from the PC motherboard, sounds great.
Thanx for answer. so you tried it with an amp, and you didn't feel big difference?
Actually, I am satisfied with my motherboard it has more power than my phone and it sounds great.
I also want to buy a speaker amp for my future speakers something like vintage Pioneer Sa 9500, I think they have a headphone output and I think it's enough.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #15,236 of 15,268
I've used my X2 straight from my computer audio outputs and from three different amps. There really isn't much difference. The biggest improvement has been removing static by using an external USB DAC. You can find combo DAC/amps that utilize USB.

I'm not so sure about using a vintage receiver with a headphone that has a low impedance rating, like the X2. It is rated at 30 ohms. Older receivers/amps usually have a high output impedance on the headphone jack, and match up better with headphones rated at 300 ohms or so, like the HD 650.

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #15,237 of 15,268
I've used my X2 straight from my computer audio outputs and from three different amps. There really isn't much difference. The biggest improvement has been removing static by using an external USB DAC. You can find combo DAC/amps that utilize USB.

I'm not so sure about using a vintage receiver with a headphone that has a low impedance rating, like the X2. It is rated at 30 ohms. Older receivers/amps usually have a high output impedance on the headphone jack, and match up better with headphones rated at 300 ohms or so, like the HD 650.
Perfect, thank you very much for your complete answer:ok_hand:

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #15,238 of 15,268
Thanx for answer. so you tried it with an amp, and you didn't feel big difference?
Actually, I am satisfied with my motherboard it has more power than my phone and it sounds great.
I also want to buy a speaker amp for my future speakers something like vintage Pioneer Sa 9500, I think they have a headphone output and I think it's enough.

Yeah, I have a number of amps in my house. I also have a big vintage Marantz amp but none of them are useful for the Fidelios. If you have a decent computer output I would really recommend that, or if you like to use your phone it should also go very well. :headphones:

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #15,239 of 15,268
Yeah, the X2 is a very sensitive headphone, therefore amplification isn't necessary. But putting a good amp in the signal chain where there is none or in place of a bad one can still improve things somewhat. Just know that you're probably going to barely get the volume pot cranked up off the floor and would probably benefit from making sure you can dial in a -15db or -20db preamp on whichever device you'll be using.

Suffice it to say, literally any dedicated amp will be more than powerful enough, so you get to just focus on the listening aspect of reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back