Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 14, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #15,211 of 15,268
I loaned my X2HR to my brother when his Shure cans died. He had them for a couple months until he could afford a new headphone of his own, and when I got them back they smell like cat piss. I haven't worn them since, and this saddens me. Can I get any replacement pads that don't really change the sound much, or am I stuck buying a new X2HR pair?

If I have to replace the whole thing, should I get the X2HR or the X3? Used for mostly gaming and a wide smattering of music - alt, rapcore, rock, and hiphop.

Not to step in the middle of family politics, but why wouldn't you just say "uuhhh bro ... you own these permanently now and you'll be buying me a new pair thanks."

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #15,213 of 15,268
Oct 8, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #15,215 of 15,268
Happy 9th Birthday to my X2 OG! Still one of the best headphones I've ever owned, and still listened to very often when I need that 70's rock sound. They just get me. Love, Stan.
They are brilliant, wish they'd made them just a bit lighter though. If they'd forfeited the metal, I'm sure they could have halved the weight of this glorious headphone!

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #15,219 of 15,268
They're a bit too heavy in the treble for me, but I think the subbass, midbass, lower and upper midrange are very well balanced. So I think they're a pretty good shot at neutrality. But what really sounds neutral still depends on each individual, not on the harman curve. Like, if you think the X2 is too bass heavy, why would you be wrong? At the end of the day I haven't heard a headphone that's perfectly neutral out of the box, and to be fair rtings does reflect that, since even the X2 which is the best scoring (iirc) is still 1.6 points off from perfect reference neutrality. There's a lot of headphones that are between 1.6 and 2.0 points off, that 0.4 differential can be ascribed to subjectivity entirely imo.

Oct 12, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #15,220 of 15,268
i have x2hr and x3 now, wanted to sell x2hr, even found a person of interest, but i think i am gonna cry if i sell it, lol, and i love both cans, for anything they do

Oct 23, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #15,222 of 15,268
What are your thoughts on the x2hr vs x3?
i like x2hr for music a lot, especially for that low end, and they are great for rock and metal, but started to like them less for gaming, once i got x3 and hd560s. I tend to pick x2hr for gaming much less now, they okay, but x3 and 560s seems more clear, more spacious, easier for pinpointing directions, 0 ear fatigue for hours. My top 2 combos nowadays x3 and 560s + k7 DAC, and for music, and for gaming. I promised x2hr to my friend in other country, lol, but i am hesitating to part ways with them for several weeks and going.

P.s. Edit: would still place x2hr above k702 and sony ma900, i think, though k702 still wins for clarity and soundstage in fps games for me

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #15,224 of 15,268
i have x2hr and x3 now, wanted to sell x2hr, even found a person of interest, but i think i am gonna cry if i sell it, lol, and i love both cans, for anything they do
The resale value isn't worth it. For price to performance it's worth keeping them.

I have a couple of horribly high end headphones, next to them is my X2HR. It's just too good for gaming with a vmoda boom mic.

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #15,225 of 15,268
The resale value isn't worth it. For price to performance it's worth keeping them.
I have 4 or 5 audio components I'm always 1/2-thinking of selling. One is the OG X2s, my first "serious" headphone, purchased ~6 yrs ago.

Most headphones I use these days are balanced & cost more than the X2s. But every once in awhile, I find myself grabbing the X2s. The other night it was the X2s on my least expensive/powerful amp, the M Stage Matrix HPA-1; w/my 3rd attempt at rolling opamps, I finally hit lotto & it sounds really good now. So I plug the X2s in for the first time in months, then have the prototypical Fidelio X2 experience:
  1. "Damn, these things are built like a brick s***house!
  2. "Comfy!"
  3. "This sounds really good!"
  4. (>an hour later, I put them away)
It's true I could never sell them for enough money to matter. Then I listen to them again & think, "I must be nuts to think of selling these."

You have to love an inexpensive thing that holds its value indefinitely, no matter what else goes on around it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back