Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #14,521 of 15,268
If you want more bass

If you want more bass out of an open back, go with a planar like the Hifiman Sundara... or just go closed back. The X2 has a little bit of a bass hump as is, to my hearing, but I guess that's what you're referring to as 'lower mids'.
Most planars have less bass than the x2. They have a different type of bass leaner and tighter but not more.

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #14,522 of 15,268
I can now confirm that the X2HR sound GREAT from the Fiio BTR5 which arrived about twelve hours ago! They definitely scale pretty well with better equipment, as I'm hearing more detail, clarity, and a slight widening of the soundstage from them with the BTR5 as a USB DAC when compared to the headphone-out on my laptop. That being said, I still sometimes have issues with the earpads being itchy, and am very concerned about their long-term viability because I am an extremely heavy user (sometimes up to 10 hours a day) and there are no replacements available for the stock earpads.

I currently have a Fiio K3 coming in (should be here on Jan. 4) as well since I've discovered I probably don't need the Bluetooth feature of the BTR5, and the new Sennheiser HD560s headphones will be coming to me on Jan. 9. So by January 10, I will be comparing four different possible desktop setups and deciding which to keep, while returning which of the two headphones I prefer less for the long-term (which honestly might turn out to be the X2HR even if I like the sound of the HD560s less, simply because of better long-term viability due to the earpads) and whichever of the two DAC/Amp units I like the sound of less. I will let you guys know about how the X2HR sound with the K3 vs the BTR5, and will also probably give comparisons to the HD560s once I get it!

If I end up returning the X2HR, that will be on Philips for not making the earpads from a softer velour that's easier on the skin and for not selling replacement pads. Like honestly, that's what they get for making headphones that sound great but have issues with comfort and long-term product support.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #14,523 of 15,268
Most planars have less bass than the x2. They have a different type of bass leaner and tighter but not more.

Exactly.
I have a HiFiman HE560 that has more bass than Sundara, but it is nowhere compared to my (Gibson) Fidelio X2.
Fidelio X2 is like an audiophile basshead headphone when properly amped. They have excellent price / value ratio.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #14,524 of 15,268
I can now confirm that the X2HR sound GREAT from the Fiio BTR5 which arrived about twelve hours ago! They definitely scale pretty well with better equipment, as I'm hearing more detail, clarity, and a slight widening of the soundstage from them with the BTR5 as a USB DAC when compared to the headphone-out on my laptop. That being said, I still sometimes have issues with the earpads being itchy, and am very concerned about their long-term viability because I am an extremely heavy user (sometimes up to 10 hours a day) and there are no replacements available for the stock earpads.

I currently have a Fiio K3 coming in (should be here on Jan. 4) as well since I've discovered I probably don't need the Bluetooth feature of the BTR5, and the new Sennheiser HD560s headphones will be coming to me on Jan. 9. So by January 10, I will be comparing four different possible desktop setups and deciding which to keep, while returning which of the two headphones I prefer less for the long-term (which honestly might turn out to be the X2HR even if I like the sound of the HD560s less, simply because of better long-term viability due to the earpads) and whichever of the two DAC/Amp units I like the sound of less. I will let you guys know about how the X2HR sound with the K3 vs the BTR5, and will also probably give comparisons to the HD560s once I get it!

If I end up returning the X2HR, that will be on Philips for not making the earpads from a softer velour that's easier on the skin and for not selling replacement pads. Like honestly, that's what they get for making headphones that sound great but have issues with comfort and long-term product support.
Have you thought about trying earpads covers? Personally I don't think I'd find them comfortable myself, but I've never tried them so I wouldn't know. I have seen posts in other threads where one or two people use them constantly.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #14,525 of 15,268
I mean... if you're at all motivated you can probably get some Dekonis or similar to fit. They're just round pads, nothing crazy. That said, I think mine are like, 3+ years old with fairly regular use for the first year and a half to two years and now intermittent use, and zero issues with the pads. Yes, every now and then they're itchy, but more often than not that's my hair not the pads.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #14,526 of 15,268
Have you thought about trying earpads covers? Personally I don't think I'd find them comfortable myself, but I've never tried them so I wouldn't know. I have seen posts in other threads where one or two people use them constantly.

Earpad covers of a different material will change the sound-signature due to changing how the pads sit on my face. Also they can introduce channel imbalance due to little wrinkles and creases making them uneven between the two sides.

I mean... if you're at all motivated you can probably get some Dekonis or similar to fit. They're just round pads, nothing crazy. That said, I think mine are like, 3+ years old with fairly regular use for the first year and a half to two years and now intermittent use, and zero issues with the pads. Yes, every now and then they're itchy, but more often than not that's my hair not the pads.

Dekoni pads are like $50 (so I may as well just get the $200 Sennheiser HD560s anyway, and EQ it if I want to bring the bass up to X2HR levels). Also, while people CLAIM that they don't change the sound-signature much compared to stock, I don't believe that based on my own experience with pad-swapping: ANYTHING besides the stock earpads will probably change the sound-signature. Especially because the stock pads are angled with a different depth at the front and back, while the Dekoni pads are an even depth throughout that is a different depth than either the front or back of the stock pads on the X2HR. Also their openings are round instead of oval. In a discussion about this earlier in this thread, someone told me that after following the X2 thread basically since day one, the general consensus is that there are NO aftermarket pads that don't change the sound.

Let's not make any excuses for Philips you guys: It's outright suspicious and stands out like a sore thumb in the audiophile world that they don't sell replacements for the stock earpads. These are like, basically the ONLY audiophile headphones I'm aware of where replacement stock pads aren't available. It's a huge oversight by the company. It almost seems to me like Philips does this on purpose so that if people with oily skin like me (that's part of the issue here, my skin gets very oily so the memory foam in the pads is likely to be ruined within a year) need new pads, they are forced to end up having to buy a whole new pair of the headphones unless they want after-market pads that will change the stock sound. Technically listing a part-number for the pads but not actually selling replacements seems to me like a very shady business-practice.

I've only had these things since November, but the oil on my skin seems to ALREADY be altering the pads to some extent. People with oily skin are basically screwed with these headphones.

If anyone can PROVE that the Dekoni round pads don't change the sound-signature, then please let me know, but given that they aren't angled and have an even depth with different-shaped openings, I find that very hard to believe.

Sorry this was so long, you guys. But it REALLY ANNOYS me that Philips doesn't make replacement stock pads available. They use a freaking proprietary locking-mechanism for the pads, so not selling replacements is basically criminal of them.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #14,527 of 15,268
Earpad covers of a different material will change the sound-signature due to changing how the pads sit on my face. Also they can introduce channel imbalance due to little wrinkles and creases making them uneven between the two sides.

Dekoni pads are like $50 (so I may as well just get the $200 Sennheiser HD560s anyway, and EQ it if I want to bring the bass up to X2HR levels). Also, while people CLAIM that they don't change the sound-signature much compared to stock, I don't believe that based on my own experience with pad-swapping: ANYTHING besides the stock earpads will probably change the sound-signature. Especially because the stock pads are angled with a different depth at the front and back, while the Dekoni pads are an even depth throughout that is a different depth than either the front or back of the stock pads on the X2HR. Also their openings are round instead of oval. In a discussion about this earlier in this thread, someone told me that after following the X2 thread basically since day one, the general consensus is that there are NO aftermarket pads that don't change the sound.

Let's not make any excuses for Philips you guys: It's outright suspicious and stands out like a sore thumb in the audiophile world that they don't sell replacements for the stock earpads. These are like, basically the ONLY audiophile headphones I'm aware of where replacement stock pads aren't available. It's a huge oversight by the company. It almost seems to me like Philips does this on purpose so that if people with oily skin like me (that's part of the issue here, my skin gets very oily so the memory foam in the pads is likely to be ruined within a year), they are forced to end up having to buy a whole new pair of the headphones unless they want after-market pads that will change the stock sound. Technically listing a part-number for the pads but not actually selling replacements seems to me like a very shady business-practice.

I've only had these things since November, but the oil on my skin seems to ALREADY be altering the pads to some extent. People with oily skin are basically screwed with these headphones.

If anyone can PROVE that the Dekoni round pads don't change the sound-signature, then please let me know, but given that they aren't angled and have an even depth with different-shaped openings, I find that very hard to believe.

Sorry this was so long, you guys. But it REALLY ANNOYS me that Philips doesn't make replacement stock pads available. They use a freaking proprietary locking-mechanism for the pads, so not selling replacements is basically criminal of them.
I posted before that if I cover up X2 with both hands it sounds much better as a closed back headphone.
Now I think because I changed the stock pad to leather pad, the new leather pad bumps up the bass and makes the mid muffled. Note that when removing the old pad, there’s a thin fabrication left so I got two layers, but cutting the layer on the new pad does not improve the sound.
I have Hifiman HE560 also, the bass on the planar driver has a different signature, it is rather linear and flat, the bass never standing out.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #14,528 of 15,268
I posted before that if I cover up X2 with both hands it sounds much better as a closed back headphone.
Now I think because I changed the stock pad to leather pad, the new leather pad bumps up the bass and makes the mid muffled.

Yes, leather pads seal better, so they increase the bass considerably.

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #14,530 of 15,268
Yes, leather pads seal better, so they increase the bass considerably.

Yes they do...but (there's always a "but" in the pad-swapping game). The X2s I have, and presumably the nearly identical X2HRs that followed, were voiced with velour (non-leather) pads. So pretty much any pad-swapping will have sonic consequences.

I think I have a pair of Brainwavz 100mm round velours laying around...bought them w/the intent of trying them on the X2s in hopes of bettering the "eh" results I got w/the 100mm Brainwavz pleathers. I've been lazy and haven't done that yet.

But even if that turns out to be a winner, velour or suede pads are what some here object to in the first place--so what would I really accomplish?

(note: the original pads do not bother me as they do others here)

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #14,531 of 15,268
When I got my X2, the pads did have kind of a funky chemical smell. I slapped on a pair of Brainwavz velour and pleather while I waited for the stock to air out. I can't remember exactly what it was , but neither sounded right to me. Thankfully the stock pads lost that weird smell after a week or so. I just wish I/we could find a source for them, I'd really like to try a pair of X2 pads on my 400i or Grados - they might not have the same sound, but so far they are the most comfortable round earpads I've used

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #14,532 of 15,268
When I got my X2, the pads did have kind of a funky chemical smell. I slapped on a pair of Brainwavz velour and pleather while I waited for the stock to air out. I can't remember exactly what it was , but neither sounded right to me. Thankfully the stock pads lost that weird smell after a week or so. I just wish I/we could find a source for them, I'd really like to try a pair of X2 pads on my 400i or Grados - they might not have the same sound, but so far they are the most comfortable round earpads I've used

From a strictly business standpoint, Philips is nuts for not selling the pads separately.

Here’s a pad that is used on 3 headphone models (possibly 4, although I’ve never seen a X1 in person to check). And you have loads and loads of customers that have been begging for YEARS to buy replacement pads.

I even know of people that WON’T buy the X2/X3 simply because replacement pads aren’t available. So now they’re losing out on who knows how many potential headphone customers as well.

I mean, even Ford was smart enough to make brand new, genuine replacement body panels for 1960s Mustangs. Why? Because lots of customers were asking. Lots of paying customers. You know, paying with money. I mean, isn’t that why businesses are in business in the first place?

It’s not like Philips stopped making the pads 20 years ago. They are making loads of them today, right now, as we speak. So literally tell the factory to make some extras and offer them separately. I don’t understand what’s so difficult?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #14,533 of 15,268
From a strictly business standpoint, Philips is nuts for not selling the pads separately.

(what he said!)

It makes zero sense. Why design that 4 little bayonets locking system, going to all that design trouble, when you don't sell pads to even original owners of the headphones? It's like a car company totally blocking the use of any but the 4 original tires...nobody wants that car.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #14,534 of 15,268
I even know of people that WON’T buy the X2/X3 simply because replacement pads aren’t available. So now they’re losing out on who knows how many potential headphone customers as well.

YUP! I'm actually going to return my X2HR's now by wantonly abusing Amazon Prime's amazing return policies even though I've had them for two months now (extended holiday returns, lol). Let's see if they accept the return with how clearly worn the earpads are now, lol.

Why am I going to return them? Because I got the Sennheiser HD560s. These do some things better than the X2HR, and some things not as well. But what's notable is that the HD560s, being Sennheisers, have excellent product-support from the company including several colors of replacement earpads available.

I am literally going to return the X2HR despite loving them entirely because they don't have replacement pads available, LMAO. THAT'S WHAT YOU GET, PHILIPS!

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #14,535 of 15,268

Here’s a pad that is used on 3 headphone models (possibly 4, although I’ve never seen a X1 in person to check). And you have loads and loads of customers that have been begging for YEARS to buy replacement pads.

I mean, even Ford was smart enough to make brand new, genuine replacement body panels for 1960s Mustangs. Why? Because lots of customers were asking. Lots of paying customers. You know, paying with money. I mean, isn’t that why businesses are in business in the first place?

It’s not like Philips stopped making the pads 20 years ago. They are making loads of them today, right now, as we speak. So literally tell the factory to make some extras and offer them separately. I don’t understand what’s so difficult?

X1 pads are glued in place, but they're fairly simple to pop off and they used the same pin system, so the pads would fit the X1 too if they'd sell them separately

Users who are viewing this thread

Back